Harold Lee Price, 84, a lawyer and retired official of the old Atomic Energy Commission, died of cancer July 9 at Sibley Memorial Hospital. He lived in Chevy Chase.

Mr. Price became a lawyer with the commission in 1946, and spent three years in Oak Ridge, Tenn., before becoming a commission deputy general here in 1949. He served as the commission's director of regulation for 11 years before retiring in 1972.

For about a year after that, he was a lawyer in the Washington office of the New York law firm of Reid & Priest.

Mr. Price, who moved here in 1931, was a native of Luray, Va. A graduate of the University of Virginia law school, he began his government career in 1936 as a lawyer with the Agriculture Department. He later worked for the War Production Board and the Civilian Production Administration before joining the Atomic Energy Commission.

He was the recipient of the commission's Distinguished Service Award and the Friendship Heights Rotary Club's Paul Harris Award. He was a member of Chevy Chase Presbyterian Church and Kenwood Country Club.

Survivors include his wife of 51 years, the former Ada MacLean Jennings, of Chevy Chase; a daughter, Patricia O'Toole of Vienna; two brothers, Charles D., of Stanley, Va., and Hudson, of Luray; two sisters, Mary Jane Fisher of Stanley, and Virginia Hall of Martinsville, Va.; and four grandchildren.


Church Soloist

Rachel Hood Koerner, 69, a former church soloist and voice teacher who also worked for the Woodward & Lothrop department stores, died of cancer July 9 at her home in Arlington.

Mrs. Koerner was born in Beaver Falls, Pa. She graduated from Muskingum College in New Concord, Ohio, where she majored in voice. She moved to the Washington area in 1946.

For the next 14 years she was a professional contralto soloist at National Presbyterian Church. From 1960 to 1967, she was a soloist at St. John's Episcopal Church, Norwood Parish, in Bethesda.

From 1966 to 1970, Mrs. Koerner was a part-time voice teacher at the University of Maryland. She also was a past president of the Washington area alumni chapter of Sigma Alpha Iota, a national music fraternity.

From 1971 to 1976, Mrs. Koerner managed the budget shop in Woodward & Lothrop's downtown store. Her career was ended when she suffered spinal injuries in a fall in her home and became a quadriplegic.

Mrs. Koerner was a member of Trinity Presbyterian Church in Arlington and a former member of National Presbyterian Church. She had been a volunteer driver for the American Red Cross.

Survivors include her husband, retired Navy Capt. Osborne S.P. Koerner, whom she married in 1946, of Arlington, and two children, Marianne Hood Koerner and Radford Shannon Koerner, both of Arlington.



Kenneth E. Brooks, 68, a retired cabdriver who was a 33rd degree Mason and a Shriner, died July 7 at Mary Washington Hospital in Fredericksburg, Va., after a heart attack. A Washington resident, he was stricken while vacationing.

Mr. Brooks was born in Gastonia, N.C., and came to this area at an early age. He was a graduate of Armstrong High School.

He was a truck driver with the United States Postal Service in the 1940s and 1950s, a COMSAT service center operator from 1969 to 1979, and a former ambulance driver at the National Institutes of Health. He drove cabs for several companies, including Capitol cabs, from the early 1940s until retiring about 1985.

His marriages, to the former Grace Harris and then the former Rosa Davis, ended in divorce.

Survivors include four sons by his first marriage, Kenneth Jr., of Reston, Ronald, of Greenbelt, Michael, of Pasadena, Md., and Lloyd, of Largo; two sons by his second marriage, Timothy, of Capitol Heights, and Darrell, of Forestville; two brothers, Lyntellus, of Landover, and Shelton, of Los Angeles; three sisters, Dorothy Lowman, Barbara Dickinson and Esteen King, all of Washington; and 14 grandchildren.


VOA Editor

Ray N. Kabaker, 56, a former editor and correspondent here with the Voice of America who was executive director of the International Food, Wine and Travel Writers Association in Palm Springs, Calif., died of cancer July 9 at a hospital in La Jolla, Calif.

Mr. Kabaker, who lived in Palm Desert, Calif., was a native of Chicago and a graduate of the University of Illinois. He served in the Army in the 1950s. He came to Washington in 1961 to join the VOA. He served in Tokyo and Hong Kong before going to Los Angeles in 1977 as the VOA's West Coast correspondent until he retired in 1983.

His first wife, Diane Kabaker, died in 1982. Survivors include his wife, Mary Ann Snow Kabaker of Palm Desert; three children by his first marriage, David Kabaker of Del Mar, Calif., Gayle Kabaker of Ashfield, Mass., and Dana Kabaker of Los Angeles; his parents, Seymour and Pearl Kabaker, and a sister, Andrea Kabaker, all of Skokie, Ill.; two brothers, Donald Kabaker of Chicago and Harvey Kabaker of Silver Spring; and a grandchild.


Woodward & Lothrop Employee

Arnold Passarelli, 76, a retired employee of the Italian Steam Ship Line and Woodward & Lothrop department stores, died of cancer July 9 at his home in Silver Spring.

He spent 20 years with the steamship line here before retiring in 1974 as an assistant district manager. He had worked for Woodies part time in the 1960s, then worked in its Montgomery Mall store from 1976 to 1989. He retired as assistant manager of its men's department.

Mr. Passarelli was a native of Rome. He served with the Italian Army in North Africa before World War II and joined the Italian resistance movement before the war's end. He came to this country and the Washington area in 1953 and became a citizen in 1957.

Survivors include his wife, Marie Louise, of Silver Spring; a son, Philip Arthur Passarelli of Gaithersburg; a daughter, Angela P. Wood of Berkeley Springs, W.Va.; a brother, Franco, and a sister, Maria Peverini, both of Italy; and three granddaughters.


Capitol Hill Staff Member

John David Cuttell, 38, the minority staff director of the subcommittee on housing in the House of Representatives Committee on Banking, Finance and Urban Affairs, died July 8 at the Magnuson Clinical Center at the National Institutes of Health. He had AIDS.

Mr. Cuttell, who lived in Washington, was a native of Iowa. He graduated from the University of Iowa. He was a high school teacher in Des Moines before coming to Washington in 1977 as staff member for Rep. Jim Leach (R-Iowa). From 1983 to 1986, he worked as a staff member for Rep. Bill Green (R-N.Y.) and later for Rep. Margaret S. Roukema (R-N.J.).

He then became minority staff director for the House Select Committee on Hunger. He transferred to the Committee on Banking, Finance and Urban Affairs in 1988.

Survivors include his parents, David and Mary Jane Cuttell of Spirit Lake, Iowa; and two brothers, Charles Cuttell of Norfolk, Neb., and Joe Cuttell of Kansas City, Mo.