In the obituary yesterday about Leo Francis Voytko, the name of one of his children was incorrect. She is Victoria Voytko of McLean. (Published 7/13/90)

Arsham Amirikian, 91, a former chief engineering adviser at the Naval Facilities Engineering Command who later founded his own engineering firm, died of congestive heart failure July 2 at Suburban Hospital.

Dr. Amirikian had worked 43 years as a Navy Department engineer before he retired in 1971 and founded Amirikian Engineering Co. He had developed dry docks, piers and other shore facilities, including the Ami Lift Dock in which a ship is lifted out of the water on platforms balanced with compressed air. He had also developed pontoons used in a 900-foot causeway off the coast of Vietnam that withstood typhoons without suffering major damage.

A resident of Chevy Chase, Dr. Amirikian was born in what is now Soviet Armenia. He came to the United States in 1919 and graduated from Cornell University. He received a doctorate in technical sciences from the Technical Institute of Vienna.

He moved to the Washington area in 1923 and worked as a structural draftsman before joining the Navy's Bureau of Yards and Docks in 1928.

He was author of more than 100 technical publications and at his death was working on the development of a floating breakwater.

Dr. Amirikian received Distinguished Civilian Service Awards from both the Navy and Defense departments. He retired in the mid-1960s as a colonel in the Air Force Reserve.

Survivors include his wife of 65 years, Elizabeth Amirikian of Chevy Chase; two children, Richard Amirikian of Centreville, Md., and Joyce E. Harrison of Fairfax; and four grandchildren.


Action Policy Analyst

Leo Francis Voytko, 62, a senior policy analyst with Action, a national volunteer agency, died of cancer June 28 at Arlington Hospital.

Mr. Voytko, who lived in McLean, was born in Humboldt, Pa. He served in the Army in Germany in the late 1940s. He moved to the Washington area in 1950 and graduated from Georgetown University's School of Foreign Service.

Before joining the staff at Action in 1973, Mr. Voytko had worked for Rep. Daniel Flood (D-Pa.), the Department of Defense, the Defense Intelligence Agency, the Army Corps of Engineers, the Army Map Service and the Veterans Administration.

At Action he had worked on financing programs for Foster Grandparents, Big Brothers and Big Sisters of America and DARE (Drug and Alcohol Rehabilitation and Education).

He had served on the parish advisory board and as president of the men's council at St. John's Catholic Church in McLean.

Survivors include his wife of 34 years, Mary Voytko of McLean; seven children, Leo Francis Voytko Jr. of the Dominican Republic, Mark Voytko of Sterling and Victor, Valerie, Paul, Eric and Michael Voytko, all of McLean; a brother, Paul Voytko of Woodbridge, and three sisters, Ann and Catherine Voytko of Conyngham, Pa., and Sister M. Mercedes of the Sisters of Sts. Cyril and Methodius of Danville, Pa.


NASA Official

Ralph E. "Mike" Cushman, 71, a special program coordinator in the comptroller's office at the National Aeronautics and Space Administration, died of cancer July 10 at Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore.

Mr. Cushman, who lived in Temple Hills, was a native of Wisconsin. He attended Superior State College in Wisconsin and graduated from American University law school.

He came to the Washington area in 1939 as a messenger for the old National Advisory Committee for Aeronautics, a predecessor of NASA. Mr. Cushman rose through the ranks, and in 1948, he became the chief of the procurement and supply division at the committee. In 1958, he was part of the transition committee that worked on the transfer of the advisory panel's functions to the newly formed NASA.

Beginning in the late 1950s, his duties included establishing NASA tracking stations in Canada, Mexico, Antigua and Central and South America. In 1968, he transferred to NASA's office of administration. He became a special program coordinator in 1973.

Mr. Cushman was a member of St. Dominics Catholic Church in Washington.

Survivors include his wife of 49 years, Florence Marie Halbig Cushman of Temple Hills; three children, Michael Cushman of Mandeville, La., David Cushman of Whitesboro, N.Y., and Carolyn Chaney of Annapolis; and seven grandchildren.


Medical Technician

Joan K. Knapp, 60, a retired laboratory technician at Alexandria Hospital, died of cancer July 11 at Alexandria Hospital.

Mrs. Knapp, a resident of Annandale, was born in Atlanta. She graduated from the Gradwohl School of Laboratory and X-Ray Technique in St. Louis.

When she moved to the Washington area in 1949, she went to work for Palmer and Parkinson Associates, a medical laboratory. In the early 1970s, the company was merged into Alexandria Hospital, and Mrs. Knapp worked for the hospital until retiring in 1986. She specialized in blood tests.

Her marriage to Philip A. Thompson ended in divorce.

Survivors include her husband, John F. Knapp of Annandale; four children by her first marriage, Philip J. Thompson of Winter Springs, Fla., Amy A. Thompson of Los Gatos, Calif., Jane E. Thompson of Fairfax and Anthony A. Knapp Thompson of Winter Park, Fla.; three stepchildren, Lucy K. Richardson of Harrisburg, Pa., Mary K. Cessna of Woodbridge and John F. Knapp Jr. of Alexandria; a sister, Harriet Foster Russell of Houston; a brother, James H. Kemp of Omaha; and eight grandchildren.


Washington Tax Lawyer

Meade Carrington Patrick, 76, a retired Washington lawyer who specialized in tax matters, died of respiratory arrest July 10 at George Washington University Hospital. He died after an operation to remove his leg due to a circulatory disorder.

Mr. Patrick, who lived in Washington, was a native of Danville, Va. He moved here after graduating from the University of Virginia law school, where he served on the board of the law review.

He was a lawyer with the old Bureau of Internal Revenue and the War Production Board before entering the private practice of law in 1946. From then until retiring in 1989, he was a partner in the Washington firm of Gardner, Morrison, Sheriff & Beddow.

Mr. Patrick was a member of the University Club in Washington and the Society of the Cincinnati.

His marriage to the former Lydia Clare Foster ended in divorce.

His survivors include a daughter, Dorsey Patrick of Charlotte, N.C.


Medical Editor

Joseph W. Daniels, 63, a medical editor with Pracon, a medical consulting firm in Reston, died of cancer July 9 at George Washington University Hospital.

Mr. Daniels, a resident of Alexandria, was born in Scranton, Pa. He attended Union College in Schenectady, N.Y. During World War II, he served in the Army in Europe.

In 1960, Mr. Daniels went to work for Richardson-Merrill International, a pharmaceutical company. He was an international advertising official and worked in New York City and Wilton, Conn. He remained with the firm until 1981.

He then moved to the Washington area and went to work for Pracon.

Mr. Daniels's hobbies included sailing.

His marriage to Mary Blythe Daniels ended in divorce.

Survivors include his wife, Della F. Walsh Daniels of Alexandria; four children by his first marriage, Mary Lee Daniels of Bethesda, Neil Daniels of Fairfax, Patricia Daniels of Arlington and David Daniels of Fort Lauderdale, Fla.; a sister, Nancy Cooper of Chicago; and a grandchild.


Peace Corps Official

Scott Everett Smith, 33, a training officer in the African regional division of the Peace Corps, died July 8 at his home in College Park. He had AIDS.

Mr. Smith was born in Belfast, Maine. He graduated from the University of Maine and received a master's degree in development management from American University.

He joined the Peace Corps in 1979 and served in Niger until 1981. He then moved to Washingon and taught English as a second language at the American Language Academy, where he was director of curriculum. In 1984 he returned to the Peace Corps and from 1987 to August 1988, he was the agency's director in Kenya. He was a training officer here at the time of his death.

His marriage to Kristie Martin ended in divorce.

Survivors include his longtime companion, Brian Richmond of College Park; his mother, Dorothy May Smith of Belfast; a brother, Bruce A. Smith of San Francisco, and three sisters, Pamela and Lynn Smith, both of Orono, Maine, and Lori Smith of Lebanon, N.H.


Treasury Dept. Librarian

Nina Kahn, 44, a federal government librarian since 1979 who was the Treasury Department's reader services branch chief, died of cancer July 9 at the Washington Hospice. She lived in Washington.

She spent about five years as a law librarian with the D.C. Superior Court before joining the General Services Administration as a law librarian in 1979. About a year later, she joined the Veterans Administration, where she was chief of the information resources center before transferring to the Treasury Department.

Miss Kahn, who moved here in the mid-1970s, was a native of Cleveland. She was a graduate of the University of California at Berkeley, where she also received a master's degree in library science.

Survivors include her mother, Ruth Kahn of Tucson, Ariz.; and two sisters, Laurie Kahn of Vancouver, B.C., and Trudi Kahn of Flagstaff, Ariz.


Book Clerk

Arlene McCoy, 57, a book clerk at Coolidge High School in Washington, died July 9 at Georgetown University Hospital after a stroke.

Mrs. McCoy, who lived in Washington, was born in Blackstone, Va. She moved to the Washington area in 1964.

She was a nursing assistant in private homes for about six years before going to work at Coolidge seven years ago. She had done volunteer work with the band, majorettes and cheerleaders at the school.

Her husband, Harvey Earl McCoy Sr., died in 1979.

Survivors include three children, Trudie Joseph of Baltimore and Harvey Earl McCoy Jr. and Sharon McCoy, both of Washington; and three grandchildren.