Joyce M. Bennett, 41, an office administrator at the State Department, was killed July 9 when she was struck by a subway train at the Foggy Bottom Metro station. She had suffered from epilepsy for many years and officials said she apparently had an epileptic seizure and fell into the path of the train.

Miss Bennett, a resident of Washington, was born in Atlanta. She spent part of her girlhood in Ankara, Turkey, where her father was an official of the United Nations, and in New Delhi, where her father worked for the U.S. Information Agency.

She graduated from Spelman College in Atlanta and received a master's degree in guidance and counseling from Atlanta University.

She was a counselor at Wilberforce University in Wilberforce, Ohio, before moving to Washington in 1979. She joined the State Department about 1980.

Miss Bennett was president of Friendship Association Troop No. 42 of the Girl Scouts. She was a member of Zion Baptist Church, where she sang in the senior choir, and was on the board of directors of Zion Enterprises, a church organization that operates a senior day-care center. She also was a member of Iota Phi Lambda Sorority and the Metropolitan Washington chapter of the Spelman College Alumnae Association.

Survivors include her parents, Dorothy F. and William W. Bennett Sr. of Washington; a sister, Debra Bennett of Baltimore; and two brothers, William W. Bennett Jr. of Washington and Michael G. Bennett of Silver Spring.



Charles Devin Jr., 66, a retired physicist and acoustics specialist at the Naval Ship Research and Development Center in Carderock, died of a heart attack July 11 at the Charter House nursing home in Silver Spring.

Dr. Devin, who had lived at the Charter House since 1988, was a native of New York City. He was a graduate of George Washington University, where he also received a master's degree in physics. He received a doctoral degree in physics from Catholic University.

During World War II, he served in the Army as a meteorologist in Brazil. He came to the Washington area in 1946 when he went to work at the old Weather Bureau. He went to the Naval Ship Research and Development Center in 1954 and worked on evasion and detection systems for submarines. He retired in 1984.

Dr. Devin was a member of Rockville Presbyterian Church and the Terrapin Club.

Survivors include his brother, John Edward Devin of Rockville.


VOA Official

Josif Kahraman, 72, the deputy chief of the Azerbaijani Service at the Voice of America, died July 10 at Washington Hospital Center from burns he received in a fire at his home in Annandale on June 2.

A spokesman for the Fairfax County Fire Department said the cause of the fire was smoking materials.

Mr. Kahraman was a native of Soviet Azerbaijan. He came to the United States in 1948 and settled in New York City as a staff member of VOA's Azerbaijani Service. He transferred to the Washington area in 1956. When the Azerbaijani Service was discontinued in 1959, he went to work at the radiology department at George Washington University Hospital.

He retired as a radiologist in 1983, rejoined the VOA and helped reestablish its Azerbaijani Service.

Survivors include his wife, Susan Kahraman, and three sons, Steven, Josif and Malcom Kahraman, all of Alexandria.



Louisa Napier Karr, 79, a retired clerk at the Naval Research Laboratory and the Armed Forces Institute of Pathology, died of congestive heart failure July 8 at her home in Bradenton, Fla.

Mrs. Karr was born in Washington and attended Strayer Business College here.

From the mid-1940s to the mid-1950s, she worked at the Naval Research Laboratory, then transferred to the Armed Forces Institute of Pathology, where she worked for another five years.

She moved from Woodbridge to Bradenton last year. Her marriage to John A. Karr ended in divorce.

Survivors include five sons, John Karr of Bel Air, Md., Thomas Karr of Akron, Ohio, Donald Karr of Atlanta, Robert Karr of Woodbridge and Eugene Karr of Glenside, Pa.; 15 grandchildren; and eight great-grandchildren.