A 22-year-old slaying suspect, charging out the back door of an apartment in Southeast Washington, was shot and killed by FBI agents and D.C. police officers yesterday morning, police said.

The FBI agents and D.C. officers, members of a year-old warrant squad, fired several rounds when the suspect, Orlando M. Stinson, apparently tried to flee.

Police recovered an Uzi machine gun that they said belonged to Stinson, but it was unclear whether the suspect was armed. A neighbor who saw Stinson fall in the back yard said it was unclear whether the suspect was armed when he was shot.

"I just heard a whole lot of rumbling, and then heard a whole lot of gunshots," said the man, who did not want his name used. "I looked out the window and I saw the boy lying out there, and I saw all the police officers."

The shooting occurred in the 2500 block of N Street SE shortly before 6:25 a.m. during a violent 24-hour period that included three other unrelated homicides and a double shooting, the result of a traffic argument.

Authorities said eight members of the Joint Fugitive Apprehension Team -- four each from the FBI and the police department -- were attempting to serve six arrest warrants on Stinson, including one for a slaying on June 23.

The suspect was in a first-floor apartment, one of four in the building. Police said he was shot as he ran out a back door, which leads to a communal back yard that connects other buildings on the block.

The inside of the metal door in the back of the building had two bullet dents, and at least one shot pierced the outside wall and struck the wood paneling along a narrow spiral staircase leading to the second floor.

The shooting is being investigated, as is routine whenever a police action results in a death.

The joint fugitive squad, formed in August 1989, pursues violent criminals who most often are involved in drug-related killings, a spokesman for the FBI, James E. Mull, said. Since its formation, the squad has arrested 712 people, 129 of whom were wanted for murder, he said.

Stinson shared the apartment with a woman and three or four children under 10 years old, the neighbor said. All of them were in the apartment yesterday and were led out by police after the shooting, he said.

As a matter of policy, police do not release any information on witnesses. The neighbor said Stinson moved into the apartment in the last few months.

Police had been searching for Stinson since June 23, when they connected him with a shooting in the 800 block of Chesapeake Street SE. He also was wanted for charges including arson, armed robbery and aggravated assault.

In the June shooting, two people were injured and one, Larry Fuller, 20, was killed. Police did not give a motive for the shooting.

In the other slayings, police made one arrest and have no suspects or motives in the other two. An 18-year-old man who was shot Thursday night in the 2100 block of 21st Street NE was identified as Paul A. Moore.

He was found suffering from gunshot wounds, and was later pronounced dead at D.C. General Hospital. Detectives later arrested Robert Harris, also 18, and charged him with second-degree murder while armed. No motive was released.

At 12:40 a.m. yesterday, police found John R. Edwards, 36, in his apartment in the 3300 block of E Street SE. He was taken to D.C. General Hospital suffering from a gunshot wound and was pronounced dead at 1:44 a.m.

At 2:05 a.m., 5th District officers on patrol heard gunshots in the 2300 block of Bladensburg Road NE. Minutes later, they found the body of Cary Jackson, 16, of the 2500 block of 14th Street NE. He was taken to the Medical Examiner's Office, where he was pronounced dead.

Just before 10:30 last night, two men were wounded, one critically, after being shot inside a car near Fifth Street and Massachusetts Avenue NW, police said.

The two men, whose identities could not immediately be determined, were involved in a traffic argument with the occupant of a white sedan, witnesses said.

The shooting victims were passengers in the first car. The driver, who was not wounded, drove to the D.C. police traffic division in the 500 block of New York Avenue NW after the shooting, police said. Police had no suspects in the shootings last night.

Both men were taken to Howard University Hospital. One was listed in critical condition with wounds in the face and chest. The other was listed in fair condition with a wound in his arm.Staff writer Carlos Sanchez contributed to this report.