Francis Edward Fleck Jr., 77, a retired Navy rear admiral who was a decorated destroyer captain in the Atlantic and the Mediterranean during World War II, died of cancer July 12 at his home in Waynesboro, Pa.
Adm. Fleck, who lived in Washington from 1956 until 1983, was born in Rosemont, Pa. He graduated from the U.S. Naval Academy at Annapolis in 1934.
He was serving on a destroyer at Pearl Harbor when the Japanese attacked it on Dec. 7, 1941, bringing the United States into the war. He later was on the staff of the Naval Academy and then commanded a destroyer on Atlantic convoys and in operations in the Mediterranean. The ship provided support for the allied landings at Anzio, Italy, and in southern France.
Adm. Fleck's postwar assignments included duty in Japan, as a destroyer commander at sea, and in Washington. He was assigned to the Office of the Chief of Naval Oprations when he retired in 1959.
In retirement, Adm. Fleck commuted to Philadelphia to work for the Seltzer Partnership, a family business in commercial real estate.
Adm. Fleck's wartime decorations included the Silver Star, the Bronze Star and the Navy Letter of Commendation. He received the Order of the Sacred Treasury from Japan for his work on the U.S. military advisory group in Tokyo in the 1950s.
He was a member of the English-Speaking Union, the Army & Navy Club, the Japan-America Society, the Sons of the American Revolution, the Freedom Foundation and the New York Yacht Club.
Survivors include his wife, Isabelle Seltzer Fleck, whom he married in 1956, of Waynesboro; two daughters, E. Catherine Fleck of Washington and Ilfra Margaret Fleck-Halley of Woodstock, N.Y.; and a sister, Marian Weller of Wichita Falls, Tex.
NADEEN DUGGAN BARTON
Nadeen Duggan Barton, 53, the data administrator at the Federal Trade Commission and the wife of a Foreign Service officer, died of cancer July 15 at her home in Vienna.
Mrs. Barton was born in Chattanooga, Tenn. She grew up in Greenville, S.C., and graduated from the Greenville Hospital School of Nursing as a registered nurse. She later received a bachelor's degree at George Mason University.
As a young woman, Mrs. Barton practiced nursing in South Carolina. In 1956, she married John Benjamin Barton, a Foreign Service officer, and moved to the Washington area. She accompanied him on assignments to Peru, Nicaragua, Spain and Grenada.
About 1986, Mrs. Barton went to work as a computer programmer for a firm in Vienna. In 1988, she joined the FTC.
In addition to her husband, of Vienna, survivors include a son, Richard T. Barton of Lowry Air Force Base, Colo.; her parents, James Willis and Frances Blackwell Duggan of Greenville; a brother, Sanford W. Duggan, also of Greenville; a sister, Gayle D. Kay of Atlanta; and two grandchildren.
PAMELA G. CURTIS
Pamela G. Curtis, 48, a Washington political consultant and former employee of the Republican National Committee, died July 14 at Washington Hospital Center. She had multiple myeloma.
According to associates, Miss Curtis was known for her activity in the moderate wing of the Republican Party. In the past year she helped to found ProChoice America, an organization supporting Republican candidates who took what were regarded as pro-choice positions on the abortion issue.
Miss Curtis, a Washington resident, was born in Elizabeth, N.J. She grew up in Jacksonville, Fla., and graduated from the University of Florida. She moved here in 1962.
From 1962 to 1976, she had various positions with the Republican National Committee. She worked in the presidential campaign of New York Gov. Nelson Rockefeller in 1968, and worked at the 1968 and 1972 conventions with the Women's Political Caucus for such issues as the Equal Rights Amendment.
Other campaigns on which she worked include that of former Sen. Charles McC. Mathias (R-Md.) for reelection to the Senate in 1974. In 1976, she was coordinator of People for Ford, part of the President Ford Committee.
In 1980, after a period as an independent consultant, Miss Curtis became a vice president of Ruder, Finn & Rotman, a public relations firm. From 1983 to 1987, she was a senior associate of Wexler, Reynolds, Harrison & Schule, a political consulting firm.
Since then, she had been self-employed as a political and public relations consultant.
Miss Curtis was a member of the National Organization of Women and had been a volunteer in several world hunger campaigns.
Survivors include her mother, Rose Curtis, and a brother, Grant R. Curtis, both of Atlanta.
JAMES S. KAYLOR
James S. Kaylor, 76, a retired CIA official who owned an antiques store in Aldie, Va., died of cancer July 14 at the Medical Center in Winchester, Va.
Mr. Kaylor, of Middleburg, was born in Grottoes, Va. He moved to the Washington area in 1933. He was a graduate of George Washington University.
During World War II, Mr. Kaylor served in the Army and then the Office of Strategic Services, a forerunner of the CIA. He was stationed in London. He joined the CIA when it was formed in 1947 and worked in Cairo until 1951, when he was transferred to Washington.
He retired in 1971 for reasons of health.
From 1968 to 1976, he owned the Aldie Attic Antique Shop.
Mr. Kaylor was a past chairman of the board of the Hill School in Middleburg, a member of the vestry at the Episcopal Church of Our Redeemer in Aldie, a founding member of the Aldie Volunteer Fire Department and a member of the Aldie Ruritan Club, the Piedmont Environmental Council and St. John's Episcopal Church in Middleburg.
Survivors include his wife, Deborah Daniel Kaylor of Middleburg; two children, Susan Kaylor Cowsert of Fredericksburg and Deborah Telet of Charlottesville, Va.; and five grandchildren.
LOWELL V. 'JIM' BELVEAL
Navy and Postal Employee
Lowell V. "Jim" Belveal, 66, a retired employee of the Naval Security and Engineering Facility in Washington and the U.S. Postal Service, died of a heart attack July 13 at Grand Strand Hospital in Myrtle Beach, S.C.
Mr. Belveal, a former resident of Bethesda, was born in Minnesota. He served in the Navy from 1941 to 1951. He was on a battleship in the Pacific in World War II and was a veteran of the Korean War.
In 1952, he moved to the Washington area and went to work for the Naval Security and Engineering Facility, where he was an intelligence specialist. In 1969, he transferred to the research and development section of what is now the Postal Service.
In 1984, Mr. Belveal retired and moved to Myrtle Beach. He was a member of the Disabled American Veterans.
His marriage to Clothilde Belveal ended in divorce.
Survivors include his wife, Sherrie Parson Belveal of Myrtle Beach; a son by his first marriage, Ron Belveal of Ray, Ga.; a stepson, Scott Lee of Churchton, Md.; two brothers, Walt and Buck Belveal, both of Idaho; and three grandchildren.
FLORENCE M. GREGORY
Florence M. Gregory, 76, a retired home economics teacher in the Warren, R.I., public school system and a resident of Fairfax since 1982, died July 13 at the home of her daughter in Burke. She had amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, which is also known as Lou Gehrig's disease.
Mrs. Gregory was born in Providence, R.I. She graduated from the University of Rhode Island. She lived in retirement in Florida before moving to the Washington area.
She was a member of the Northern Virignia Porcelain Painters Club and St. Leo's Catholic Church in Fairfax.
Her husband, Peter J. Gregory, died in 1969.
Survivors include a daughter, Janet M. Messore of Burke; five brothers, Raymond Desrosiers of Manchester, N.H., Albert, Ernest and Wilfred Desrosiers, all of Sarasota, Fla., and Leo Desrosiers of Port Charlotte, Fla.; a sister, Lorraine L'Acaillade of Manchester; and two grandchildren.
LEORA S. WHITNEY
Leora S. Whitney, 101, a longtime resident of the Washington area who was active in the Episcopal Church, died July 14 at the Audubon Hills nursing home in Lititz, Pa.
Mrs. Whitney was born in Plaquemine Parish, La. She attended Tulane University and a state normal school in New Orleans, and as a young woman she was a teacher in her home town.
In 1920, she moved to Washington. She was a resident of Silver Spring in 1984, when she moved to Pennsylvania.
Mrs. Whitney was a member of Trinity Episcopal Church in Washington, the Daughters of the King, which is a church organization, the women's board of the Episcopal Church Home and the board of the women's auxiliary of the Episcopal Church Children's Home. She also had been a Red Cross volunteer.
Her husband, Frank I. Whitney, whom she married in 1917, died in 1984.
Survivors include two children, Mary W. Wentz of Strasburg, Pa., and Marjorie W. Smith of Bellevue, Wash.; five grandchildren; and six great-grandchildren.