Raymond O. Kellam, 68, a retired judge on the Juvenile and Domestic Relations District Court of Virginia's 31st Judicial District in Manassas, died of cancer July 16 at Fairfax Hospital. He lived in Fairfax.

Judge Kellam, a retired Navy captain, practiced general law in Manassas for four years before becoming a judge in 1976. He served until retiring July 1. During eight of his years on the bench, he was chief judge.

Judge Kellam, an area resident since 1956, was a native of Indiana. He graduated from Ball State University and the Indiana University law school. He received master's and doctoral degrees in oil and tax law from Southern Methodist University.

He had served with the Navy aboard an LST in the Pacific during World War II. He rejoined the Navy in 1951 and was an officer in its Judge Advocate General Corps until retiring from active duty in 1972. His decorations included the Navy Commendation Medal.

Judge Kellam was a member of Providence Presbyterian Church in Fairfax.

Survivors include his wife, whom he married in 1944, Joyce, of Fairfax; a son, Navy Cmdr. Steven L. Kellam of Chantilly; two daughters, Susan L. Adney of Reston and Sheryl L. Sullivan of Indianapolis; a brother, Eugene, of Daytona Beach, Fla.; a sister, Janet Haverkamp of Oklahoma City; and six grandchildren.


NIH Virologist

Cephas Taylor Patch, 64, a retired virologist at the National Institute of Child Health and Human Development at the National Institutes of Health, died of cancer July 16 at his home in Cabin John.

Dr. Patch was a native of North Carolina. During World War II, he served in the Navy as a submarine torpedoman in the Pacific. He was a graduate of Washington & Lee University. He received a master's degree in biochemistry from George Washington University and a doctoral degree in biology from Georgetown University.

He was a civilian biochemistry reseacher in Frederick, Md., with the Army and a researcher for a chemical company in California before he joined NIH in 1962 as a biochemist in the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases.

He transferred to the National Institute of Child Health and Human Development about 1980. He retired at the beginning of this month.

Dr. Patch was a bird-watcher and a member of the Izaak Walton League.

Survivors include his wife, Frances G. Patch, and two children, Martha Gilchrist Patch and Nathaniel Sumner Patch, all of Cabin John; and a brother, Charles Sumner Patch of Southern Pines, N.C.


Fish and Wildlife Official

Clark Richard Bavin, 53, the chief of law enforcement at the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service, died July 15 at Mount Vernon Hospital after a stroke.

He joined the Fish & Wildlife Service in 1963 as a law enforcement agent in Illinois. He transferred to Washington in 1967 and was named chief in 1972.

Mr. Bavin, who lived in Alexandria, was a native of South Bend, Ind. He was a graduate of Michigan State University and the American University law school.

Survivors include his wife, Sandra Kenady Bavin of Alexandria; two sons, George William Bavin of New York City and Clark Richard Bavin Jr. of Alexandria; his mother, Annabel Dalton of South Bend; and a stepsister, Susan Dalton Ferguson of Fort Wayne, Ind.



John Stafford Kelly, 80, a retired president of the J. Frank Lumber & Millwork Co. in Washington, died of an aneurysm July 14 at a hospital in North Miami Beach, Fla.

Mr. Kelly, who lived in Boca Raton, Fla., was a Washington native. He attended Franklin & Marshall College in Pennsylvania.

He began working at J. Frank Lumber & Millwork, a family business, in the late 1930s. During World War II, he served in the Army. After the war, he became president of the company.

In 1974, he retired and the business was sold. He moved to Dallas that year. In 1978, he moved to Florida, where he raised, trained and bred thoroughbred horses.

His marriage to Dorothea Kelly ended in divorce.

Survivors include his wife, Mary Michael Kelly of Boca Raton, and two children from his first marriage, Pamela Kelly of Boca Raton and J. Frank Kelly of Phoenix.



Annette E. Nalls, 74, a lifelong area resident who had been active over the years as a volunteer driver in the Red Cross motor corps and who was a member of Chevy Chase Presbyterian Church, died of cancer July 15 at her home in Washington.

She had been affiliated with her family's Washington consulting concern, Nalls & Co., from the 1940s until about 1987. She was corporate secretary and chief administrative officer.

Mrs. Nalls, who was a native of Washington, was a graduate of Central High School and the Washington School for Secretaries. In the 1930s and early 1940s, she was a secretary with such trade groups as the American Mining Congress and the American Fertilizer Association.

Survivors include her husband, James W. Nalls Sr. of Washington; two sons, James Jr. and Charles H., both of Silver Spring; three daughters, Patricia Dixon of Cary, N.C., Janet E. Nazarian of Washington and Mary Lou Baden of Edgewater; a sister, Catherine Houck of Bethesda; 10 grandchildren; and three great-grandchildren.


Floral Arranger

Alice Lee Williams Viar, 74, a charter member of the Riverside Garden Club in Alexandria who had served as floral arranger at the George Washington mansion of Mount Vernon in the late 1960s, died of cancer July 16 at Mount Vernon Hospital. She lived in Alexandria.

She was a member of Heritage Presyterian Church in Alexandria. Mrs. Viar, an area resident since 1965, was a native of Lynchburg, Va.

Survivors include her husband, Joseph F. Viar Sr., and a son, Joseph Jr., both of Alexandria; three sisters, Fern Harvey of Forest, Va., and Lillian Kelly and Dorothy Jones, both of Lynchburg; two brothers, Frank K. Williams of Dillard, Ga., and Jack B. Williams of Richmond; and two granddaughters.