Frank McCormick Nesbitt, 48, an area award-winning documentary filmmaker who had made films for the National Geographic Society and the Public Broadcasting Service, died of cancer July 15 at his home in Upper Marlboro.

Mr. Nesbitt had made documentaries on subjects ranging from the economy and the environment to the illusive New Deal statesman Harry Hopkins. He won a national Emmy, as cameraman and editor, in the mid-1970s for a special titled "Inside Out" he did for PBS. He also was the recipient of a local Emmy for a PBS production titled "Yours and Mime."

His critically acclaimed Hopkins documentary, which he produced, directed and edited, aired on PBS in October 1989. The 1 1/2-hour film was narrated by former CBS news anchorman Walter Cronkite. The special won a Cine Golden Eagle, a Blue Ribbon from the American Film and Video Festival, and a Silver Apple at the National Education Film and Video Festival.

Mr. Nesbitt's other recent specials included the 1986 "America's Embattled Economy," which won a Chris Award at the Columbus (Ohio) Film Festival. His last production was a National Geographic and National Audubon Society program on coastal pollution is to appear this fall. Its narrator is actor Ted Danson.

Mr. Nesbitt was a native of Chicago. He graduated from Princeton University in 1963 with a degree in American history, then served with the Army in South Korea from 1964 to 1967.

He came to Washington in 1967 and spent the next year as a news cameraman with WMAL-TV here. He was a cinematographer and television cameraman in Philadelphia from 1968 to 1969. He then returned here, and worked until 1978 with the Educational Film Center in Annandale. While at the center, he made a series of documentary films for PBS. Since 1979, he had been a free-lance cinematographer.

Mr. Nesbitt was a member of the Prince George's Audubon Society and the Nature Conservancy.

Survivors include his wife, Sandy, and two sons, Andrew and Graham, all of Upper Marlboro; a brother, Samuel Nesbitt Jr. of Surry, Me.; and a sister, Marie Lynch Stefenhagens of Skytop, Pa.


Funeral Director

Norman O. Jarvis, 81, a retired president of the W. Ernest Jarvis Co. funeral home in Washington and a former member of the D.C. Commission on Judicial Disabilities and Tenure, died July 15 at the Carriage Hill retirement center in Silver Spring after a stroke.

Mr. Jarvis was a Washington native and a graduate of the old M Street High School. He began working at the Jarvis funeral home, a family business, in the late 1920s. He became president of the company in 1945 and retired in 1987. The business closed in 1989.

In 1970, he was appointed by President Nixon as one of five members of the newly formed D.C. Commission on Judicial Disabilities and Tenure. The commission reviewed complaints about the conduct of judges on the D.C. Superior Court and the D.C. Court of Appeals with the power to censure, remove or involuntarily retire judges. Mr. Jarvis served on the commission until 1975.

Mr. Jarvis had been a member of the D.C. Republican State Committee, the Funeral Directors' Commission of the District of Columbia, the Hundred Men Club of America, the DePriest 15 Club, the Mu-So-Lit Club and the Pigskin Club.

His wife of 60 years, Mary Jackson Jarvis, died in 1985. Survivors include eight children, Sidney J. Jarvis of Silver Spring, Richard W. Jarvis of Burtonsville, and Norman W. Jarvis, Anne J. Bennett, Constance J. Dixon, W. Ernest Jarvis, Charlotte J. Turner and Stephen D. Jarvis, all of Washington; and 19 grandchildren.


Display Designer

Roger A. Nickles, 47, a retail display designer and an antiques dealer, died July 2 at Washington Hospital Center. He had AIDS.

Mr. Nickles, who lived in Arlington, was born in Detroit. He attended the Tyler School of Fine Arts at Temple University.

He moved to the Washington area about 20 years ago and had worked as a retail display designer for the Hecht Co. and other stores. He also bought and sold antiques.

He painted, sketched and wrote poetry and had done volunteer reading and directing at the Washington Theatre for the Deaf.

Survivors include his parents, Lewis and Margaret Nickles, and a grandmother, Burma Warnke, all of Apache Junction, Ariz.; a brother, Jerry Nickles of Paris, Mich.; and a sister, Beverly Bowen of Mechanicsville, Md.


Chemical Engineer

Rochus C. Stahl, 77, a retired Naval Ordnance Station chemical engineer, died July 16 at Southern Maryland Hospital Center. He had meyelodysplastic syndrome, a blood disorder.

Mr. Stahl, who lived in Indian Head, was born in Louisville. He graduated from the University of Louisville, where he also received a master's degree in chemical engineering.

He moved to the Washington area and began working at the Naval Ordnance Station at Indian Head in 1941. He retired in 1972. In retirement he had been a counselor and part-time science teacher at Archbishop Neale High School in LaPlata.

Mr. Stahl was a past president of the Indian Head Lions Club and a member of the Charles County Planning Commission, St. Mary's Star of the Sea Catholic Church in Indian Head and the St. Vincent De Paul Society.

Survivors include his wife, Rita Stahl of Indian Head; four children, Stephen R. Stahl of Gaithersburg, Philip C. Stahl of Chicago, Mary McCarty of Shady Grove and Barbara Mahoney of Germantown; and seven grandchildren.



Robert Lewis Garland, 51, a lawyer who operated a private practice in Washington, died July 16 at Arlington Hospital after a stroke. He lived in Arlington.

Mr. Garland was a native of Michigan. He was a graduate of Western Michigan University and Howard University's law school. He served in the Army from 1958 to 1961 and was a Peace Corps volunteer in Niger from 1964 to 1966.

He worked for the New York Port Authority from 1969 to 1972. He then worked for a New York law firm in that city, and then in Zaire from 1975 to 1976, before returning to Washington and opening a private practice.

In 1978, he became general counsel in the Office of the Representative of the United States to the Commonwealth of the Northern Marianas Islands. He returned to private practice about 1981.

Survivors include his wife, Mary Garland of Arlington; a brother, Donald Garland of Ludington, Mich.; and a sister, Jean LoBretto of Kalamazoo, Mich.