A Woodbridge man accused of killing his wife while a police officer was in their home has admitted his involvement in her death, but said he acted in self-defense, court records show.

In a letter dated July 5, Zainool Baksh, 45, told Prince William County Commonwealth's Attorney Paul Ebert that he had not meant to kill his wife, Zameena, when he entered a bedroom of their home Jan. 8 as she packed clothes to leave him.

"When I went in the room, my wife took up a knife from the dresser and tried to hurt me," Baksh wrote. "I tried to defend myself and in the struggle had a blackout. That's the last I remember . . . . I did not intend to kill her; her death occurred in circumstances totally beyond my control and I have regretted it every day since."

In the letter, Baksh indicated he was willing to plead guilty in lieu of a trial if Ebert would offer him a 100-year sentence with 70 years suspended.

He claimed that he suffers from a heart ailment and periodic blackouts.

Baksh, who is being held in the Prince William/Manassas jail pending a July 25 trial, was arrested and charged wth first-degree murder shortly after his wife's body was found by Prince William police Officer Ramon Gomez, 33, who had accompanied Zameena Baksh to the house. An administrative review of Gomez's actions found no wrongdoing.

Court records show that Zameena Baksh, 31, had predicted her murder. About 5 p.m. Jan. 8, she had gone to the Gar-Field police substation to request protection from her husband, who she said had threatened earlier in the day to kill her.

She said Baksh even followed her to the police station. "While I was here, I saw my husband drive into the parking lot and saw the car I'm driving. I have no doubt he is now waiting somewhere for me, to kill me," Zameena Baksh said in a complaint.

At the couple's house, Gomez waited in the living room downstairs while Zameena Baksh was in the upstairs bedroom.

Zainool Baksh apparently entered the house through a basement door and slipped past Gomez. Gomez followed, but was unable to gain immediate entry to the bedroom, a police source said.

The couple's son, then 4, and Baksh's elderly mother were in the house.

Baksh told Ebert in the letter that he did not know his wife was in the house. He said he realized she was home when he heard noises in his daughters' room from the bottom of the stairs leading to the upper floor.

"Sir, I know I took a life, albeit unintentionally and I must be punished," he wrote in neat, curving strokes on legal-sized paper. "My main goal in life is to be reunited with my {four} children and spend the few remaining years of my life giving them the love, support and understanding that only a parent can give."

Baksh accused his wife of being "predisposed towards violence," saying she had abused their children on several occasions.

He said he was attempting to reconcile with her when he entered the bedroom.

Baksh said he wanted to avoid a trial to spare his family. "It is my fervent wish that my 78-year-old mother not be subjected to the ordeal of my trial; that my 5-year-old son not have to relive this traumatic experience which he unfortunately witnessed."

Ebert, the chief prosecutor in the Baksh case, and Assistant Commonwealth's Attorney Wenda Travers could not be reached for comment.

Defense attorneys Jean Willis and Michael Phipps also could not be reached.