Raymond J. Hebert, 62, a numismatist at the Smithsonian Institution's Museum of American History and an authority on Oriental coins, died of a heart attack July 15 at Washington Hospital Center.

Dr. Hebert, a resident of Rockville, was born in Leominster, Mass. He served in the Army Air Forces at the end of World War II. He attended Boston University and graduated from Clark University in Worcester, Mass. He received a master's degree in linguistics from Georgetown University and a doctorate in anthropology from the University of Washington.

Before moving to the Washington area in 1964, Dr. Hebert taught English in Iran and Turkey. In Washington, he taught English to foreign military personnel at the Institute of Modern Languages. In 1967, he went to work for the U.S. Information Agency.

In 1971, he began his career at what is now the Museum of American History. A specialist in Byzantine, Islamic and Greek coins and the coins of South and Central Asia, he was in charge of the museum's collection of Oriental coins. He traveled widely in connection with his work, and was a frequent lecturer on professional topics and a prolific contributor of articles to professional publications.

Dr. Hebert was a member of the Oriental Numismatic Society, the Society of Ancient Numismatics and the American Numismatic Society. In private life he was a genealogist and studied his family history. He attended the Beth Messiah Congregation in Rockville.

Survivors include his wife, Meryem Saadet Hebert of Rockville; two sons, Jonathan Thomas Hebert of Rockville and Peter Howard Hebert of Silver Spring; two brothers, Paul Hebert of New Haven, Conn., and Robert Hebert of Leominster; and three sisters, Theresa Woodward of Leominster, Cecile Robiehaud of Monckton, New Brunswick, and Lorraine Quercio of San Fernando, Calif.



Frederick H. Eaton, 66, a retired Commerce Department economist, died July 18. Montgomery County police said he was struck by a train at the Randolph Road crossing near Nebel Street in Rockville. His car was parked nearby. The case is under investigation.

Mr. Eaton, who lived in Rockville, was born in Bay City, Mich. He was an Army Air Forces fighter pilot in Italy during World War II. After the war, he graduated from the University of Colorado, where he also did postgraduate study in economics.

In 1950, Mr. Eaton moved to the Washington area and served four years as an Air Force intelligence officer. He joined the staff of the Commerce Department in 1954. He retired in 1974 as deputy director of the Economic Development Administration.

Since then, Mr. Eaton had been self-employed as a movie distributor.

Survivors include his wife, Gloria Eaton of Rockville; four children, Paul Eaton of Alexandria, Brian Eaton of Gaithersburg, and Jack Eaton and Betsy DeLuca, both of Silver Spring; a brother, John S. Eaton of Bay City; and three grandchildren.


Lifelong Area Resident

Josephine Rhodes Bayne, 80, a lifelong resident of the Washington area, died July 16 at Shady Grove Adventist Hospital of complications resulting from a stroke three years ago.

Mrs. Bayne, who lived in Chevy Chase, was born in Arlington. She graduated from Western High School.

Her husband of 53 years, James W. Bayne, died in 1986. Survivors include two children, Joan Clark of Darnestown and Patricia Bohraus of Capon Bridge, W.Va.; two sisters, Elizabeth Bredice of Gaithersburg and Margaret Kent of Beltsville; eight grandchildren; and six great-grandchildren.


Publications Coordinator

D. Marcus Kever, 60, retired coordinator of publications for University College at the University of Maryland, died July 16 at his home in Langley Park after a heart attack.

Mr. Kever was born in Seminole, Okla. He graduated from the University of Oklahoma. During the 1950s, he served in the Army.

He received a master's degree in English from the University of Maryland and pursued further postgraduate study there.

During the 1960s, he taught English at University College branches in Europe, North Africa and Asia. He returned to this area in 1971 and became coordinator of publications for University College, the adult education and overseas branch of the University of Maryland. He retired in 1983.

Survivors include his companion, Angela Chamberlin, of Langley Park; and four sisters, Wincil Ryle of Quitman, Tex., Ina Mae Kever of Houston, Jackie White of Clinton, Okla., and Rhee Hudson of Odessa, Tex.



Ethel Pearlene Welch, 21, a legal secretary with the Department of Justice, died July 15 at Providence Hospital.

Miss Welch was admitted to Providence Hospital July 14 and was receiving medical treatment for a blood clot on her right lung. A spokesman for the D.C. medical examiner said that a determination of the cause of her death was pending the outcome of toxicological tests.

Miss Welch was a lifelong Washingtonian and a graduate of Dunbar High School. She began at the Justice Department in 1987 as a receptionist.

Survivors include three children, Talethia Welch, Reginald Welch and Monique Welch; her parents, Maxine and Willie Welch, all of Washington; a brother, Lawrence Welch of Washington; four half brothers, Charles Davis of Landover Hills, Curtis Hurt of Washington, Carlos Hurt of Washington and William Welch of Lorton; and a sister, Eunice Tracy Welch of Washington.


DeWitt Hospital Volunteer

Lois Christiansen, 65, a Red Cross Gray Lady at DeWitt Army Hospital at Fort Belvoir, died of an aortic aneurysm at that hospital July 16.

Mrs. Christiansen, who lived in Alexandria, was born in Onalaska, Wis. She accompanied her husband, an Army officer, to military bases around the nation before moving to the Washington area in 1965.

She was a member of the Riverside Garden Club of Fairfax and had been a volunteer at DeWitt Army Hospital for about 25 years.

Survivors include her husband, retired Army Lt. Col. Arne C. Christiansen of Alexandria; two children, Ava Christiansen of New Orleans and Bill Christiansen of Corpus Christi, Tex.; her mother, Nellie Sundberg of LaCrosse, Wis.; a brother, Ronald Anderson of Palo Alto, Calif.; and four grandchildren.


CIA Intelligence Officer

Edwin F. Roth, 71, a retired CIA intelligence officer, died July 15 of cancer at Arlington Hospital.

Mr. Roth, who lived in Arlington, was a native of Boston. In the late 1930s, he was a reporter for the Boston Herald Traveler. During World War II, he served in the Army Air Forces as an intelligence officer in the Mediterranean.

He was recalled to active duty during the Korean War and was discharged as a lieutenant colonel. At the war's end in 1953, he joined the CIA and was an intelligence officer with assignments here and abroad. He retired in the mid-1970s.

His wife, Maxene Roth, died in 1985.

Survivors include two sons, Richard S. Roth of San Diego and William F. Roth of Ramona, Calif., and two grandchildren.



Steve N. Diapoulis, 69, a former area restaurateur and a former employee at the Fort Myer Officers Club, died of liver disease July 12 at Arlington Hospital.

Mr. Diapoulis, who lived in Alexandria, was a native of Greece. He came to the United States in 1940, and settled in New York City. During World War II, he served as a combat engineer in Europe.

He moved to the Washington area in 1949. Over the years, he and his wife, Kalope Diapoulis, owned and operated several area restaurants, including the Arlington Inn and the Beef Nook in Ocean City, Md.

He began working during the winters at the Fort Myer Officers Club in 1972. In 1980, after selling the Beef Nook, he began working full time at the officers club, requisitioning supplies. He retired in 1985.

Mr. Diapoulis was a founding member of St. Catherine's Greek Orthodox Church Community of Northern Virginia in Falls Church.

In addition to his wife, of Alexandria, survivors include three children, Alexandra M. Diapoulis of Falls Church, Margo S. Buda of Fort Washington and Nicholas S. Diapoulis of Alexandria; two brothers, Dimitri Diapoulis of Astoria, N.Y., and John Diapoulis of Greece; and six grandchildren.


Sales Clerk

Henriette D. Phelan, 76, a retired sales clerk at the Garfinckel's store in the Spring Valley section of Washington and the widow of an Army colonel, died July 12 at Good Samaritan Health Care Center in Boulder, Colo. She had Alzheimer's disease.

Mrs. Phelan, who lived in Chevy Chase until moving to Colorado in 1981, was born in Washington. She grew up here and in Annapolis. She attended the University of Maryland and graduated from the Ithaca (N.Y.) Conservatory of Music.

In 1936, she married Donald A. Phelan, an officer in the Army Corps of Engineers. Over the years, she accompanied him to various posts in this country and also to France. In 1941 and 1942, they lived in Washington, when he served as district engineer in the city government.

In 1961, they settled in the Washington area permanently. Col. Phelan died in 1964, and Mrs. Phelan went to work for Garfinckel's about 1967. She retired in 1979 for health reasons.

Mrs. Phelan was a member of Holy Redeemer Catholic Church in Kensington and the Army & Navy Club.

Survivors include five children, John R. Phelan of Boulder, Stephen D. Phelan of Pawling, N.Y., Michael A. Phelan of Santa Cruz, Calif., Mark Donovan of Lake Tahoe, Calif., and Mary Patricia Murphy, the wife of a Foreign Service officer who is stationed in the African republic of Djibouti; two sisters, Jacqueline D. Nichols of Chevy Chase and Marie Louise Peterson of Maui, Hawaii; and nine grandchildren.



Edna M. Armstrong, 74, a retired Veterans Administration secretary who was a volunteer with handicapped assistance groups in Northern Virginia, died July 17 at Northern Virginia Doctors Hospital after a heart attack.

Mrs. Armstrong, who lived in Falls Church, was a native of Rockingham County, Va. She came to the Washington area in 1933. She began working here as a clerk in the War Department in 1940. She transferred to the Veterans Administration in 1951 and retired in 1967.

Her volunteer work included service with the Coop School for Handicapped Children and the Northern Virginia Association for Retarded Citizens.

She was a Special Olympics volunteer and a founder of a library at the Lincolnia Training Center in Fairfax. She was a member of Crossman United Methodist Church in Falls Church.

Her first husband, James Samuel Holmes, died in 1945.

Survivors include her husband, George I. Armstrong of Falls Church; a daughter by her first marriage, Margaret Holmes of Falls Church; a son by her second marriage, George David Armstrong of Falls Church; two stepdaughters, Sandra Parsons of Ann Arbor, Mich., and Tommye Alice Fox of Boone, N.C.; two sisters, Margaret Blanch of Fair Oaks, Calif., and Thelma Ann Jewell of San Jose; and four grandchildren.


USDA Lawyer

Julius Krause, 82, a retired lawyer in the Office of the General Counsel of the Department of Agriculture, died July 18 at the Rockville Nursing Home in Rockville. He had Parkinson's disease.

Mr. Krause, a resident of Leisure World in Silver Spring, was born in New York City. He received bachelor's and law degrees from Columbia University.

In 1943, he moved to Washington and went to work for the Office of Price Administration, a World War II agency. In 1944, he transferred to the Department of Agriculture. He retired in 1973.

Survivors include his wife of 52 years, Frances Harrison Krause of Silver Spring; three children, Frances Towers of Chatsworth, Calif., Frederick Krause of Oakton and Barbara DeSimone of Bethesda; a brother, Everett Krause of University Park; and eight grandchildren.