John H. Fanning, 73, a former chairman of the National Labor Relations Board, the independent federal agency charged with safeguarding employees' rights to organize and preventing and remedying unfair labor practices, died July 21 at Georgetown University Hospital. He had diabetes.

Mr. Fanning was appointed to the NLRB in 1957 by President Eisenhower. He was reappointed by Presidents Kennedy, Johnson, Nixon and Carter. Carter named him chairman of the board in 1977. Mr. Fanning served in that post until 1981, and retired from the board in 1982.

A lawyer by profession, Mr. Fanning then became the Washington representative of Hinckley, Allen, Snyder & Comen, a Providence, R.I., law firm. He also was counsel to the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers and a member of the State Department's Foreign Service Grievance Board.

Mr. Fanning, who lived in Bethesda, was born in Putnam, Conn. A graduate of Providence College, he moved to Washington in 1938 to attend Columbus Law School, now part of Catholic University.

In 1942, he went to work at the Labor Department as a lawyer. He transferred to the old War Department and joined the Defense Department when it was formed in 1947. He was director of industrial relations at the Defense Department when he was chosen to serve on the NLRB.

Mr. Fanning established the John H. Fanning chair in labor relations at the Catholic University law school and the John H. Fanning Conference on Labor-Management Relations at Providence College.

He was a member of the board of directors of the Catholic Youth Organization for the Archdiocese of Washington and a member of the parish of Little Flower Catholic Church. He belonged to Kenwood Golf and Country Club and was active in the Providence College and Catholic University law school alumni associations.

His wife, Eloise Cooney Fanning, whom he married in 1942, died in 1982.

Survivors include five children, Mary Ellen Dunn of Rockville, John Michael Fanning of Elgin, Ill., Ann Gallagher of Annandale, Gaele DeGross of Bethesda, and Stephen Thomas Fanning of Barrington, R.I.; a sister, Berneice Burnes of Albany, N.Y.; a brother, Raymond Fanning of Willimantic, Conn.; and 13 grandchildren.



James T. Hall, 64, a former radio correspondent for the Mutual Broadcasting System who also worked for various radio stations in the Washington area, died July 20 at Arlington Hospital. He had diabetes.

Mr. Hall, who lived in Arlington, was born in Martins Ferry, Ohio. He attended Case Western Reserve University in Cleveland and Heidelberg College in Tiffin, Ohio.

For several years after he moved to the Washington area in 1958, Mr. Hall worked for WMAL Radio, WGMS, the Voice of America, WTOP (now WUSA) and WRC.

In 1963, he joined the Mutual Broadcasting System. His main assignment was the State Department, but he also covered the White House, the National Aeronautics and Space Administration and other agencies. He left Mutual in 1975 and later worked for the Moody News Network and other organizations.

Mr. Hall also did many commercial productions for products ranging from Colt .45 Malt Liquor to the old Washington Evening Star newspaper.

He was a member of the board of the Washington-Baltimore local of the American Federation of Television and Radio Artists and a member of the Washington Quarter Century Broadcasters. He was a 33rd degree Mason and a member of the Almas Temple of the Shrine.

Survivors include his wife, Rosemary Hall of Arlington, and a son, Sean Hall of Ellicott City.


Capitol Heights Resident

Lamont Eubanks, 17, a resident of Capitol Heights and a student at Fairmont Heights High School, died July 15 at Prince George's Hospital Center of injuries he received July 14 in a car accident on the Baltimore-Washington Parkway.

A spokesman for the U.S. Park Police said the car in which Mr. Eubanks was a passenger ran onto the median strip near the Riverdale exit and struck a guard rail.

Mr. Eubanks and the driver, also 17, were taken to Prince George's Hospital Center. The driver was treated for injuries and released.

Mr. Eubanks was born in Washington. He had completed his junior year at Fairmont Heights High School in June. He was a member of the Christian Tabernacle United Holy Church in Highland Park.

Survivors include his parents, Maggie and Willie Eubanks of Capitol Heights; and three brothers, Frederick, Willie Jr. and Clarence Eubanks, and two sisters, Loretta and Patricia Eubanks, all of Capitol Heights.


Longtime Area Resident

Rose Kapneck, 91, a resident of the Washington area since she was 7 years old, died of heart ailments July 19 at the Fernwood Nursing Home in Bethesda.

Mrs. Kapneck was born in Carmel, N.J. She had lived in Rockville before moving to the nursing home.

Her husband, Michael Kapneck, died in 1968. A daughter, Selma Poretsky, died in 1988.

Survivors include a son, Philip Kapneck of Potomac; seven grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren.


Medical Librarian

Mabel S. Van Buskirk, 90, a retired medical librarian who was a member of Little Falls Presbyterian Church in Arlington, died July 19 at Sibley Memorial Hospital after a heart attack.

Mrs. Van Buskirk, who had lived at the Presbyterian Home in Washington since 1988, was born on a farm in Wyoming County, Pa. She was a retired medical records librarian at Wyoming Valley Hospital in Wilkes-Barre, Pa.

She moved to the Washington area in 1972 and was a resident of Falls Church until 1988.

Her first husband, Clarence Wrigley, died in 1932. Her second husband, A. H. Guyette, died in 1950. Her third husband, Frank Van Buskirk, died in 1962.

Survivors include two sons by her first marriage, James C. Wrigley of Hanover Park, Ill., and Robert G. Wrigley of Arlington; a sister, Emily N. Engle of Mitchellville, Md.; eight grandchildren; and nine great-grandchildren.