John Palmer Reesing Jr., 68, a retired English professor at George Washington University, was found dead July 17 at his apartment in Arlington. Death was attributed to congestive heart failure.

Dr. Reesing was born in Gatesville, Tex. A graduate of Baylor University, he received a master's degree in English from Tulane University and a doctorate in English from Harvard University.

He moved to Washington and joined the faculty at George Washington University in 1946. He had served as chairman of the English Department from 1963 to 1970, and from 1975 to 1985. He retired in 1987.

Dr. Reesing was author of several articles in scholarly journals and of a book, "Milton's Poetic Art." He was past American secretary of the Modern Humanities Research Association.

Survivors include a sister, Frances Reesing Wooldridge of Gatesville.


Historian and Operations Analyst

Dorothy Kneeland Clark, 83, a retired United Nations historian and Johns Hopkins University operations analyst, died of congestive heart failure July 8 at Carriage Hill Nursing Home in Bethesda.

Dr. Clark, who lived in Bethesda, was born in Keene, N.H. She graduated from Wellesley College and received a doctorate in history from Radcliffe.

She was an assistant to the dean at Radcliffe and a faculty member at Spelman College in Atlanta before moving to the Washington area shortly after World War II to help establish the office of history of the United Nations Relief and Rehabilitation Administration.

From 1949 until she retired in 1972, Dr. Clark worked for the operations research office of Johns Hopkins University and its successor organization, the Research Analysis Corp., which provided research services for the Department of Defense. In this period she was based in Washington but spent extended periods in Japan and Korea during the 1950s and in Vietnam and Thailand in the 1960s.

In retirement, Dr. Clark worked as a part-time consultant for three years to the Office of Emergency Preparedness and the Federal Energy Administration.

She leaves no immediate survivors.


Chemical Society Official

Clifford Franklin Bigger, 58, a director of special projects at the American Chemical Society for 13 years until he retired in 1989 and moved to York, S.C., died at his home there July 23 after a heart attack.

Mr. Bigger was a native of York. He graduated from the University of South Carolina and received a master's degree in mass communications at the University of Wisconsin.

During the 1950s, he worked as a journalist in Georgia, South Carolina and Florida. During the 1960s, he headed the Science News Bureau at Georgia Tech, worked in public relations in North Carolina and directed the information services section at Virginia Tech. In 1970, he went to the University of Wisconsin for graduate study.

He was chairman of the department of mass communications and educational media at Bemidji State College in Minnesota for a year before coming to the Washington area in 1976 to join the American Chemical Society.

His marriage to Mary Wells Harris ended in divorce.

Survivors include four children, Rachel Mildred Bigger of Culpeper, Va., Roger Franklin Bigger of Herndon, Ashley Harris Griffith of Charlotte, N.C., and Jan Harris Pogue of Winston-Salem, N.C.; three brothers; and three sisters.


Furniture Retailer

James B. Henderson, 89, a furniture retailer who retired in 1969 as assistant manager of the W.J. Sloan store in Bethesda, died of pneumonia July 22 at Shady Grove Adventist Hospital.

Mr. Henderson, who lived in Germantown, was born in Washington. He graduated from Central High School and attended the University of Virginia.

As a young man he operated the James B. Henderson Furniture store with his father in downtown Washington. That business closed in 1944, and Mr. Henderson subsequently worked for Colony House on Connecticut Avenue, then for W.J. Sloan in Bethesda.

He was an elder in the Darnestown Presbyterian Church and a former member of the Washington Heights Presbyterian Church in Washington.

Survivors include his wife of 45 years, Dorothy C. Henderson of Germantown; two daughters, Helen H. Backus of Fairfax and Mary H. Kidd of Gaithersburg; and four grandchildren.