Otto Veerhoff, 83, a retired Washington art dealer who with his wife operated Veerhoff Galleries for 30 years, died of a heart attack July 23 at his residence, Goodwin House West in Falls Church.

Dr. Veerhoff was born in Washington. He graduated from Central High School and Colgate University and received a doctorate in plant physiology from Johns Hopkins University.

From 1934 to 1947, he was a horticulturist at the agricultural experimentation station of North Carolina State University in Raleigh.

In 1947, Dr. Veerhoff returned to Washington to assist his father in the operation of Veerhoff Galleries, which had been established by his grandfather in 1871. He subsequently became the owner and manager of the business. He retired in 1977.

Survivors include his wife of 57 years, Mary Brooks Veerhoff of Goodwin House West; four children, Alfred Brooks Veerhoff of Chevy Chase, Mary Lou Franklin of Tucson, and Margaret and Sarah Veerhoff, both of Washington; two sisters, Amy V. Barton of Rye, N.Y., and Abigail V. Hunt of Annapolis; eight grandchildren; and a great-grandchild. A daughter, Gail Smith, died in 1982.


Accountant, Environmental Consultant

Cynthia Theresa Flowers Smalls Williams, 49, an accountant and environmental consultant, died July 20 at her home in Washington after a heart attack.

Mrs. Williams was born in Savannah, Ga., and moved to this area in 1961. She attended the University of the District of Columbia.

In 1976, she founded what now is the accounting firm of Winston-Williams-Neill and Associates. She was cofounder of Environmental Resource Consultants Inc. in 1980. She participated in the management of both businesses until her death.

Her marriages to Lewis Allen Smalls and Richard Williams ended in divorce.

Survivors include a daughter, Sherry Tiggett of Washington; three daughters of her first marriage, Angela Mattison and Linda Smalls, both of Washington, and Veronica Ruzich of Blackwood, N.J.; her mother, Ruby Flowers of Savannah; three sisters, Delores Graham and Vicky Scott, both of Savannah, and Beverly Winston of Richmond; a brother, George Flowers of Alamogordo, N.M.; and a grandchild.


U.-Md. Auditor

Antoine E. Assouad, 66, an auditor at the University of Maryland since 1969, died of a heart attack July 23 at Greater Laurel-Beltsville Hospital.

Mr. Assouad, who lived in Beltsville, was born in Egypt. He studied accounting there and came to the United States in 1969.

He leaves no immediate survivors.


Bingo Operator

George Vernon Wayson Sr., 68, the operator of Wayson's Amusements bingo parlor at Wayson's Corner in Lothian, died of cancer July 24 at Anne Arundel Medical Center.

Mr. Wayson, who lived in Lothian, was born in West River. He attended Southern Senior High School in Anne Arundel County. During World War II, he served in the Army in the China-Burma-India theater.

After the war, he worked for 25 years as an independently employed tow truck operator, then operated Wayson's Amusements bingo with other members of his family.

Mr. Wayson was a member of Masonic Lodge 89 in Annapolis and Boumi Temple of the Shrine in Baltimore.

Survivors include his wife, Agnes E. Wayson, and five sons, George Jr., Richard, Samuel, Morgan and Donald Wayson, all of Lothian, and seven grandchildren.



Janie Gammon Lee, 82, a retired lawyer who specialized in wills and estates, died July 23 at her home in Washington. She had Alzheimer's disease.

Mrs. Lee, a resident of Washington since 1935, was born in Danville, Va. In 1942, she graduated from the National University law school, now part of George Washington University, and went into a law practice with her husband, Vinton E. Lee. They maintained the firm of Lee & Lee until Mr. Lee's death in 1969. Mrs. Lee continued to practice law until retiring in 1982.

Mrs. Lee succeeded her husband as president and counsel of the John Edward Fowler Memorial Foundation, a private philanthropic organization, and served in those posts for many years.

She was a member of the D.C. Bar, the American Bar Association and the Soroptomist Club.

Survivors include two children, Vinton E. Lee Jr. of Dallas and Richard H. Lee of Washington; four brothers, W. Howard and Benson E. Gammon, both of Arlington, Herbert Gammon of Santiago, Chile, and Alvin D. Gammon of Lakewood, Colo.; and two grandchildren.


Navy Captain

Louis J. Bellis, 82, a retired Navy captain who was an investments adviser for Bache & Co., died of cancer July 15 at his home at Carl Vinson Hall in McLean.

Capt. Bellis was born in New York City. He graduated from the U.S. Naval Academy in 1931. His naval career included duty in Manila, Puerto Rico and Cuba and service during World War II as a destroyer commander escorting convoys of merchant ships across the Atlantic. He retired from the Navy in 1956 as an operations officer based in New York.

In retirement, he worked as an engineer on missile development projects in Philadelphia, Detroit and New York, then joined Bache & Co. in New York as an investments adviser. He later worked for Bache in Milwaukee, then opened the Bache office in Fort Lauderdale before retiring again in the mid-1970s.

He lived in San Francisco until moving to the Washington area five years ago.

Survivors include his wife, the former Marjorie L. Rothe of McLean; a son, Gordon Bellis of San Francisco; and three grandchildren.


Chamber of Commerce Official

Kenneth H. Goddard, 72, retired manager of the audio-visual department of the U.S. Chamber of Commerce in Washington, died July 8 at his home in Centreville, Mass. He had cancer.

Mr. Goddard was born in Salem, Mass. He graduated from Norwich University in Vermont.

During World War II, he served in the Army. He was captured in North Africa in 1945 and held as a prisoner of war until liberated by Soviet troops in 1945. He was awarded a Bronze Star.

After his discharge from the Army as a major in 1948, Mr. Goddard moved to Washington and joined the staff of the U.S. Chamber of Commerce. He retired in 1973 and moved to Massachusetts.

He was a former member of Clarendon United Methodist Church in Arlington.

Survivors include his wife, Lois Sharpe Goddard of Centreville; and two daughters, Susan G. Redlund of Fairfax and Sally S. Middleton of Ladson, S.C.


Navy Commander

William T. Coulson, 76, a retired Navy commander who specialized in personnel and intelligence, died July 23 at Montgomery General Hospital of complications after a stroke.

Cmdr. Coulson was born in Anacortes, Wash., and attended Stanford University.

He joined the Navy in 1934 and served as an enlisted man in China before World War II. He was commissioned an officer in 1942 and served aboard battleships in the Pacific during the war.

Postwar assignments included service on Taiwan as personnel adviser to the Chinese Navy, duty in Norfolk and Japan and three tours at the Bureau of Naval Personnel in Washington.

He retired from the Navy in 1964 and worked as manager of the Watergate Inn in Washington.

A permanent resident of the Washington area since 1958, Cmdr. Coulson lived in Leisure World in Silver Spring.

He was a member of the U.S. Naval Institute and the Yangtze River Patrol Association.

His marriage to the former Charlotte Luttrell ended in divorce.

Survivors include his wife, Dorothy G. Coulson of Silver Spring; a stepdaughter, Rebecca A. Harris of Bethesda; and three stepgrandsons.