In the obituary yesterday about James A. Cunningham Jr., a retired CIA official, his age was incorrect. He was 71. (Published 7/28/ 90)

John Sylvester, 86, a retired Navy vice admiral who had served as deputy chief of naval operations for logistics and commander of Navy amphibious forces in the Mediterranean and the Pacific, died of pneumonia July 26 at Georgetown University Hospital. He lived in Washington.

Adm. Sylvester served as deputy chief of naval operations from 1960 until he retired from active duty in 1965.

He served as captain of the battleship Missouri in the Atlantic in 1951 and 1952. In 1953 he was promoted to rear admiral and made a special assistant to the chief of the Armed Forces Special Weapons Project in California, where he commanded a group assigned to the underwater detonation of an atomic device.

He was commander of amphibious forces in the Mediterranean for eight months in 1955 and 1956 before becoming a NATO staff officer in Paris. He was promoted to vice admiral in 1958 and served as commander of amphibious forces for the Pacific Fleet until he became a deputy chief of naval operations.

Adm. Sylvester was born in Wellston, Ohio. He graduated from the U.S. Naval Academy at Annapolis in 1926. He received a master's degree in metallurgy from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.

During the 1920s, he was assigned to destroyers and light cruisers in the Atlantic. He served in China in the late 1930s.

At the outbreak of World War II, he was an engineering and research officer at the Naval Torpedo Station in Newport, R.I. He saw combat duty aboard a light cruiser off the Solomon Islands and later aboard a battleship at the Battle of Leyte Gulf.

His military decorations included the Bronze Star with Combat "V," the Legion of Merit with Combat "V" and the Distinguished Service Medal.

Adm. Sylvester settled in Washington after retiring from active duty. He was a member of the Men's Garden Club of Montgomery County, the Chevy Chase Club and the Naval Academy Alumni Association.

His first wife, Ruth Yarnell Sylvester, died in 1948.

Survivors include his wife, Geraldine Clark Sylvester of Washington; two sons by his first marriage, John Sylvester Jr. of Raleigh, N.C., and Charles Sylvester of Bernardston, Mass.; and three grandchildren.



Arthur MacDougall Love Jr., 66, an architect who practiced in Annapolis for many years and who since 1986 had been director of construction management at the Interior Department, died of cancer July 24 at his home in Bethesda.

Mr. Love was a past president of the Maryland and Chesapeake chapters of the American Institute of Architects and a member of the board of directors of Historic Annapolis. He received a Distinguished Citizen of Maryland award for his work in connection with historic preservation.

A native of Norfolk, Mr. Love grew up in Baltimore. He graduated from Baltimore Polytechnic Institute and attended McCoy College of Johns Hopkins University. During World War II, he served in the Army Air Forces as a B-24 heavy bomber pilot in England.

After the war, he was a charter plane pilot and an architectural apprentice. In the early 1960s, he moved to Annapolis and established his own practice, the Office of Arthur M. Love Jr. In 1980 he sold the firm and moved to St. Augustine, Fla., where he ran a boat yard.

In 1986, he returned here and went to work at the Interior Department.

Mr. Love was a member of the Annapolis Yacht Club and Fourth Presbyterian Church in Bethesda. He was active in the Republican Party.

Survivors include his wife of 45 years, Virginia Allen Love of Bethesda; three children, Arthur MacDougall Love III of Crofton, Nancy Allen Love of Bethesda and Christopher Blake Love of St. Petersburg Beach, Fla.; and three grandchildren.


Fairview Principal

Jean Kohler Leer, 67, retired principal of Fairfax County's Fairview Elementary School, died of cancer July 26 at the Hospice of Northern Virginia.

Mrs. Leer, who lived in Oakton, was born in St. Marys, Ohio. She graduated from Hunter College in New York and received a master's degree in education from the University of Virginia.

Before moving to the Washington area in 1961, she had been an elementary school teacher in Taiwan and Hawaii. In this area she taught in Prince George's County before joining the Fairfax school system, where she worked 23 years before retiring in 1985. At her retirement, Mrs. Leer had been principal of Fairview for nine years and earlier had served as principal of Clifton Elementary School.

On Mrs. Leer's retirement, the Fairfax County School Board named the Fairview library after her.

She was a former president of the Fairfax County Association of Elementary School Principals and of the Fairfax County Retired Teachers Association, and in retirement she had served on the Fairfax school superintendent's advisory council.

She was an elder at Christ Presbyterian Church of Fairfax.

Survivors include her husband of 42 years, retired Air Force Col. Fred S. Leer, and a son, Steven Leer, both of Oakton; and two granddaughters.


CIA Official

James A. Cunningham Jr., 78, a retired CIA official, died of a heart attack July 18 at the Del Webb Hospital in Sun City West, Ariz.

Mr. Cunningham, who lived in Potomac until moving to Sun City West earlier this month, was born in Chicago. He graduated from Brown University. During World War II, he served in the Navy in the Pacific.

In 1950, he moved to Washington and joined the CIA. His Washington assignments included a period as special assistant to the deputy director of support and a stint in the office of the director for science and technology. He later served in the Far East. He retired in 1973.

In 1964 he received the CIA's Distinguished Intelligence Medal.

In retirement, Mr. Cunningham became vice president of Australian Aircraft Sales, an aircraft brokerage. He continued that work until his death.

His marriage to Dorothy Cunningham ended in divorce. His second wife, Winifred Cunningham, died in 1984.

Survivors include his wife, Geneve Cunningham of Sun City West; a son by his first marriage, Charles A. Cunningham of Chicago; a daughter by his second marriage, Lynn C. Liddick of Baltimore; four stepchildren, John Clemens of Baltimore, Katie Clemens of Bensalem, Pa., Joan Charquero of Germantown, and Peter Clemens of St. Louis; three grandchildren; and a great-grandchild.


Hardware Store Owner

Walter G. Strosnider, 77, the retired owner of Strosnider's Hardware Store in the Bradley Shopping Center in Bethesda, died of heart ailments July 25 at Suburban Hospital.

Mr. Strosnider, a Silver Spring resident, was born in Kendrick, Okla. He moved to the Washington area in 1937. During World War II, he served in the Navy.

After the war, he joined his father and a brother in starting the Woodmoor Hardware Store in Silver Spring. In 1953, he went out on his own and founded Strosnider's. He sold the business in 1985, but it continues under the same name in the same location.

Mr. Strosnider was an elder of the Silver Spring Church of Christ.

Survivors include his wife, Juanita M. Strosnider, whom he married in 1937, of Silver Spring; three children, Janice Huff of Springfield, Ohio, Kay Yingling of Bethesda, and Robin Dimock of Darnestown, Md.; three brothers, Archie Strosnider of Mount Gretna, Pa., C.A. Strosnider of Keedysville, Md., and Ervin Strosnider of Hopewell, Va.; a sister, Shirley Olson of Prescott, Ariz.; seven grandsons; and seven great-grandchildren.


Bridge Champion

Betty L. Hertz, 74, a life master of the Washington Contract Bridge League and a retired administrative assistant at the U.S. Tariff Commission, died of respiratory failure July 24 at Suburban Hospital.

Mrs. Hertz, a resident of Bethesda, was born in Butler, Pa. She moved to Washington as a girl and graduated from Eastern High School in 1934. She also graduated from the Washington School for Secretaries.

During World War II, she worked for a government agency. In 1955, she went to work at the Commerce Department as a secretary, and she transferred to the Tariff Commission in the mid-1960s. She retired in 1975.

She won many bridge tournaments in the Washington area.

Survivors include her husband, George Hertz, whom she married in 1944, of Bethesda; three children, Raymond Hertz of Columbia, Joel Hertz of Burtonsville, and Ellen Polen of Huntington Beach, Calif.; and five grandchildren.



Wadie A. Courie, 62, a dentist who had a private practice in Bethesda from 1959 until he retired earlier this year, died of cancer July 23 at Georgetown University Hospital.

Dr. Courie, who lived in Potomac, was born in Detroit and grew up in Washington. He graduated from Central High School and Georgetown University and its dental school. During the Korean War, he served in the Air Force. He retired in March for health reasons.

He was a member of the church council at St. Paul's Lutheran Church in Washington and the Kiwanis Club of Bethesda.

Survivors include his wife, Kathleen Courie, and two daughters, LeeAnn and Karen Courie, all of Potomac; and two brothers, George Courie of Potomac and Victor Courie of Silver Spring.


D.C. Teacher

Elinor K. Finkel, 85, a retired Washington schoolteacher, died July 24 at Georgetown University Hospital after a stroke.

Miss Finkel was a lifelong resident of Washington and a graduate of George Washington University.

She began teaching at Oyster Elementary School in the late 1920s and retired there in the late 1960s.

Survivors include a sister, Dorothy F. Brooks of Akron, Ohio.