George M. Rouzee, 75, a former Navy flier who won the Navy Cross for leading a bombing attack on a Japanese battleship during the closing days of World War II, died of cancer July 25 at his home in Federal Way, Wash.

A retired official of the Boeing aircraft company in Seattle, Mr. Rouzee was born in the District of Columbia. He graduated from the U.S. Naval Academy at Annapolis in 1937.

He became a Navy aviator in 1940 and was the senior air officer aboard the cruiser, the USS Detroit, at Pearl Harbor, when the Japanese attacked on Dec. 7, 1941. The Detroit was one of the few ships to make its way to sea during the raid.

Mr. Rouzee later served in Alaska. In 1944, he was given command of an air group aboard the escort carrier San Jacinto. He took part in operations against the Japanese home islands and against Okinawa.

On July 18, 1945, less than a month before the end of the war, he led an attack against the battleship Nagato at the naval base at Yokosuka, Japan. The citation accompanying his Navy Cross, which is the Navy's highest decoration for gallantry except for the Medal of Honor, said he flew through intense enemy fire to score a direct hit at the ship's waterline. Although severely damaged, the Nagato survived and was used as one of the test ships for the U.S. nuclear tests at Bikini Atoll in 1946.

In 1947, Mr. Rouzee resigned from the Navy. He became a test pilot for the Sperry Rand company on Long Island, N.Y. He later worked for various other aerospace companies before joining Boeing in 1962. He was a project manager when he retired in 1981.

His marriage to the former Julia W. Brett ended in divorce.

Survivors include his wife, Constance C. Rouzee, whom he married in 1958, of Federal Way; three children by his first marriage, Mike Rouzee of Darien, Conn., Bonnie Clarey of Coronado, Calif., and Linda Halley of La Jolla, Calif.; two children by his second marriage, Eric Rouzee and Jeanine Janus, both of Vancouver, B.C.; his mother, Katherine Rouzee of Federal Way; and four grandchildren.


Defense College Official

William George Gicking, 70, a retired director of admissions and registration at the Defense Systems Management College at Fort Belvoir, died of cancer July 26 at his home in Alexandria.

Mr. Gicking was a retired Air Force chief master sergeant.

A native of Pennsylvania, Mr. Gicking was a graduate of the University of Omaha and received a master's degree in education from the University of Scranton.

During World War II, he served in the Navy. He later enlisted in the Air Force. He served in Korea during the war there and his later Air Force assignments included duty in Japan. His last assignment was at the Air Force Noncommissioned Officers Academy at Langley.

He retired from active duty in 1962 and became director of admissions at Keystone Junior College in Pennsylvania. From 1968 to 1971, he was a deputy director in the office of the dean at the U.S. Military Academy at West Point, N.Y.

He came to the Washington area in 1971 as admissions director and registrar at the newly formed Defense Systems Management College. He retired in 1984.

Mr. Gicking competed in the Virginia Golden Olympics in the early 1980s and won three gold medals for swimming. He was a past president of the Methodist Men, a member of the Council of Ministries and an administrative board member at the Altar's Gate United Methodist Church in Alexandria. He was a volunteer with the American Red Cross.

Survivors include his wife, Eleanor Gicking of Alexandria; a daughter, Lonnie Dennis of Albuquerque ; two sons, Jim Gicking of Wayne, Pa., and Richard Gicking of Alexandria; two sisters, Peg Miller of Allentown, Pa., and Jane Bogdon of Drums, Pa.; and four grandchildren.


Public Relations Executive

Patricia Clifford Jordan, 53, a former television producer and director and public relations executive in Washington, died July 25 at a hospital in Santa Barbara, Calif. She had a stroke.

Mrs. Jordan, a resident of Santa Barbara, was born in Long Beach, Calif. She grew up in the District of Columbia and Pennsylvania. She graduated from Bryn Mawr College.

In the late 1950s, she was a producer and director of the Joyce Brothers Show on WNBC-TV in New York. As a freelance associate director in the 1960s, she worked on Leonard Bernstein's Young Peoples Concerts for CBS.

In 1969, she moved to Washington. In 1975, she became the radio-TV officer of the Federal Bicentennial Commission. In 1976, she joined Daniel J. Edelman Inc., a public relations firm, as senior vice president in its Washington office. She remained there until 1980.

In 1986, Mrs. Jordan moved to St. Thomas, V.I. In 1988, she moved to Santa Barbara.

Her marriage to Ed Farrar ended in divorce.

Survivors include her husband, Frank J. Jordan of St. Thomas and their two children, Frank Daniel Jordan of New York City and Mary Lou Jordan Harris of Arlington, Mass.


Conference Manager

Frank Allen Phelps, 50, the founder and president of Meeting Market conference management company in Washington, died of a pulmonary thrombosis July 24 at his home in Washington.

Mr. Phelps was born in Bellevue, Neb., and attended the University of Nebraska.

He moved to Washington in 1965. Before forming Meeting Market 10 years ago he was a conference manager here for the Meat Packers Association and worked for the Association of Nursing Home Administrators and the American Pharmaceutical Association.

Survivors include his mother, Portia Phelps of Madison, Wis.; two brothers, Russell Phelps of Madison and William Phelps of Vancouver, B.C.; and two sisters, Jean Hill of Blue Springs, Mo., and Mary Alice Eztollahi of Fort Worth.


D.C. Teacher

Elsie Brown Smith, 95, a retired English teacher at Dunbar High School in Washington, died of cardiopulmonary arrest July 10 at the Annapolis Convalescent Home in Annapolis.

Mrs. Smith, a resident of Ardwick, was born in Washington. She graduated from the old M Street High School, the predecessor of Dunbar High, and from Howard University. She received a master's degree in English from the University of Vermont.

She began her career in the D.C. public school system in 1918 and was assigned to Dunbar. Except for eight years when she taught at Armstrong High, she taught at Dunbar until she retired in 1962.

In 1960, Mrs. Smith traveled to India and Burma on an Agnes Meyer Summer Fellowship.

Mrs. Smith was a member of the American Association of University Women, Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, the Women's International Religious Fellowship and the Lincoln Temple Congregational Church in Washington.

Her husband, Walter L. Smith, died in the early 1940s.

There are no immediate survivors.



Cornelius Francis "Bo" White, 74, a retired D.C. cabdriver and baker for Safeway Stores, died of cancer June 29 at his home in Fort Washington.

Mr. White was born in Washington. He attended McKinley Technical High School. In the 1930s he served in the Marine Corps. During World War II, he worked for the Richmond, Fredericksburg & Potomac Railroad.

He then joined Safeway, where he was a baker until retiring in 1971 with 24 years of service. He drove a cab in Washington until retiring about three years ago.

Survivors include his wife, Gladys White of Fort Washington; five children, Warren White of Damascus, Lois White of Springfield, Weldon White of Fort Washington, Gary White of Prince Frederick, Md., and Kevin White of Rockville; three sisters, Helen Shannon of Baltimore, Susan Fritz of Willards, Md., and Mary Gutowski of Stafford, Va.; two brothers, Garland White of Upper Marlboro and Theodore White of Myrtle Beach, S.C.; 13 grandchildren; and three great-grandchildren.


Security Consultant

John S. Pentland, 63, a technical security consultant, died of congestive heart failure July 25 at Fairfax Hospital.

Mr. Pentland, a resident of Springfield, was born in Jersey City, N.J. He graduated from Rutgers University. During World War II, he served in the Army Air Forces and was stationed in Panama.

He worked for General Precision Laboratories in Pleasantville, N.Y., and was transferred to the Washington area in 1968. Soon afterward, he joined NAECO Associates, a security consulting firm. He remained with NAECO until 1977, when he joined the Wackenhut company, where he was director of nuclear security. In 1979, he established his own security consulting firm and ran it until his death.

Mr. Pentland was a member of the eastern division of the Train Collectors Association. He also was a member of the Kirkwood Presbyterian Church in Springfield.

Survivors include his wife, Amelia C. Pentland of Springfield; two children, George T. Pentland of Springfield and Barbara P. Lokitis of Ellicott City, Md.; his mother, Mildred Cox of Springfield; and three grandchildren.

A son, John Steven Pentland, died in 1980.


D.C. Policeman

Vincent B. Minton, 93, a retired member of the D.C. police department, died of a heart attack July 15 at Washington Adventist Hospital.

Mr. Minton, a resident of Takoma Park, was born in Rose Hill, Va. He attended Berea College.

He moved to the Washington area in 1926 and joined the police department. He served until 1951, when he retired as a patrolman in the Brightwood section of Northwest Washington. He later was a crossing guard in Takoma Park, and from about 1955 until the early 1960s, he was a security employee of Giant Food.

Mr. Minton was a member of the Association of Retired Policemen of the District of Columbia and the Metropolitan Police Relief Association.

His wife, Myrtle B. Minton, died in November 1989.

Survivors include three children, Mildred I. Robinson of Seattle, Geraldine M. Dunn of Silver Spring and Glenn L. Minton of Takoma Park; seven grandchildren; and seven great-grandchildren.


Nightclub Owner

Benjamin L. Mendelson, 86, a retired Washington restaurateur who owned Benny's Rebel Room nightclub and later the Wit's End restaurant, died of pneumonia July 27 at a nursing home in Atlanta.

Mr. Mendelson, who was a native of Atlanta, came to Washington in 1932 to work as a cabdriver. He opened Benny's Rebel Room in 1946 at 14th and I streets in Northwest Washington. He sold the business in 1970 and bought the Wit's End restaurant in Washington. He sold that business in 1980 and returned to Atlanta.

Mr. Mendelson's hobbies included breeding and showing Arabian horses. He was a 32nd Degree Mason.

His first wife, Theresa Mendelson, died in 1954.

Survivors include his wife, Dena Mendelson of Atlanta; a son by his first marriage, Richard Mendelson of Potomac; two stepchildren, Jerome Fisher of Los Angeles and Maureen Goldsmith of Bethesda; and three grandchildren.



Leonard Anthony Falcone, 61, a co-owner of F&F Valet, a dry cleaning and shoe repair store in Wheaton, died of cancer July 27 at his home in Silver Spring.

Mr. Falcone was born in Roseto, Italy. He came to this country in 1948 and settled in the Washington area.

He was a shoemaker for Central Valet in Washington until 1962, when he and his brother-in-law, Nick Farace, opened F&F Shoe Repair in Washington. In 1968, they closed that store and opened F&F Valet in Wheaton.

Mr. Falcone was a member of the parish of the St. Andrew the Apostle Catholic Church in Silver Spring and a supporter of the Holy Rosary Catholic Church in Washington.

Survivors include his wife, Rosaria Falcone of Silver Spring; five children, Lucia Ventimiglia of Poolesville, Anthony Falcone of Kensington, James Falcone of Gaithersburg, Teresa Pappas of Rockville and Joseph Falcone of Silver Spring; and eight grandchildren.