A man charged with escaping in 1986 from St. Elizabeths' unit for the criminally insane allegedly killed a Pompano Beach, Fla., police officer there Sunday night as the officer was trying to arrest the man in the beating of a woman in the head with a board.

Pompano Beach police said Officer Scott Winters had radioed that he had the man, Albert Richard Holland, 32, in custody for the assault when the officer suddenly radioed that he had been shot.

Police said the suspect apparently wrested Winters's revolver from the officer and shot him in the lower abdomen and groin, below the officer's bulletproof vest.

Holland, who was holding a handgun in his right hand, was arrested minutes later by other officers.

D.C. Superior Court records show that Holland escaped in June 1986 from the John Howard Pavillion at St. Elizabeths Hospital, where he had been committed in December 1982 after being found not guilty by reason of insanity of stealing a car and a purse from a District woman.

The incident on March 9, 1982, occurred three days after Holland escaped from St. Elizabeths, where he had been committed after a similar conviction in early January of that year.

Court records show that Holland also was wanted in the District on a 1987 warrant for violation of parole for an apparently unrelated misdemeanor.

Officials at St. Elizabeths could not be reached for comment last night.

Law enforcement sources said last night there was no indication that Holland had been in the Washington area in recent years.

The complaint affidavit filed in Broward County, Fla., court shows that the fatal Sunday night incident began about 6:30 p.m. when a Pompano Beach officer responded to a report of a sexual assault in progress.

When officers arrived they found a woman, wearing only panties, who was bleeding profusely after being beaten in the head.

It is unclear exactly where the assault occurred.

Winters, 28, was one of several officers who responded to search for the assault suspect, according to the affidavit.

At about 7:24 p.m., Winters radioed police asking for help and advising "I got him in custody." He then said that he had been shot.

Officers found Winters a little later suffering from gunshot wounds to the groin area and the right side. Holland, who gave the name Antonio Rivira, was arrested a few minutes later near where Winters was found.

The officer died about 8:30 at North Broward Hospital.