Edith E. Mortensen, 87, professor emeritus of biological sciences at George Washington University, died of emphysema and pneumonia July 30 at Georgetown University Hospital.

Dr. Mortensen, who lived in Washington, was born in Denmark. She emigrated to the United States as a child and grew up in Blooming Prairie, Minn. She graduated from Carleton College, received a master's degree in zoology at the University of Minnesota, then taught at the University of Maine.

In 1936, Dr. Mortensen moved to Washington and joined the zoology department at GWU. She received a doctorate in zoology in 1945.

Dr. Mortensen specialized in protozoology and the physiology of protozoans, and she developed techniques to study free-living forms of these animals. She spent her sabbatical leaves from GWU at laboratories in Bermuda and Hawaii. She retired in 1972.

In retirement, she traveled widely in Alaska, the South Pacific and Scandanavia, and she made clothes for D.C. schoolchildren.

She was a member of Phi Beta Kappa and Graduate Women in Science.

Survivors include a sister, Emma Martensen of Sunnyvale, Calif.


Real Estate Appraiser

Donald V. Urquhart, 47, a real estate appraiser and consultant, died July 29 at Howard County Hospital after a heart attack. He was attending a picnic when he was stricken.

Mr. Urquhart, who lived in Columbia, was born in Washington. He graduated from McKinley High School and attended American University. He graduated from Loyola University in Baltimore.

Since 1979, Mr. Urquhart had operated his own company, Donald V. Urquhart & Associates. Earlier, he worked with Philip E. Klein, a Baltimore-based real estate appraiser.

He was a consultant to the Department of Housing and Urban Development and had given lectures on real estate appraising at American University, Notre Dame College in Baltimore and the Society of Real Estate Appraisers.

He was a member of the American Institute of Real Estate Appraisers and the Boards of Realtors of Greater Baltimore, Montgomery, Anne Arundel and Prince George's Counties.

Survivors include his wife, Carole Urquhart of Columbia; three children, Suzanne Hunt of Chalfont, Pa., and Nicole and Christopher Urquhart, both of Columbia; his father, Lawrence E. Urquhart of Mitchellville; three brothers, Warren Urquhart of Mitchellville, Steven Urquhart of Woodbridge and Phillip Urquhart of Columbia; and a sister, Jeannette Urquhart of Mitchellville.


Auditor, Soccer Referee

Juan Carlos Carra, 41, who died July 28 at Fairfax Hospital from injuries he suffered in an auto accident earlier that night in Springfield, was an auditor at the Defense Contract Audit Agency and a referee with the United States Soccer Federation.

Fairfax police said Mr. Carra was driving a minivan that was hit head on by another car that jumped the median and crossed into oncoming traffic on Fairfax County Parkway near Rolling Road.

Mr. Carra, who lived in Springfield, was a native of Argentina. He came to the United States and settled in the Washington area in 1974. He was a graduate of Marymount University.

From 1975 to 1989, he was an auditor at the Motor Vehicles Manufacturers Association in Washington. He then went to the Defense Contract Audit Agency, part of the Defense Department.

He had been a soccer referee in the Virginia High League since about 1976. He also was a USSF assessor, grading the performance of other referees. Since 1984, he had been assistant coach of the Springfield Classics, a girls soccer team.

In addition to his wife, of Springfield, survivors include two daughters, Alejandra Carra and Karin Carra, both of Springfield; his parents, Luis and Nelida Carra of Argentina; and a sister, Monica Girault of Argentina.


Advertising Executive

Alexander Lloyd Charles, 78, owner and operator of Alexander Charles Advertising Inc. in Bethesda, died July 30 at Suburban Hospital after a brain hemorrhage.

Mr. Charles, who lived in Bethesda, was a native of New York City. Before coming to Washington during World War II, he worked in radio advertising sales in several states, including New York, Massachusetts and Pennsylvania.

He came to the Washington area as an account executive at Kal, Ehrlich & Merrick Advertising. From 1963 to about 1967, he worked as an account executive for ad agencies in Baltimore and New York City.

He returned to the Washington area and worked for Stanley House Advertising in Rockville until 1987, when he started his own business.

Survivors include his wife of 48 years, Gertrude Silber Charles of Bethesda; two sons, Peter Evan Charles and Eric Jonathan Charles, both of Washington; and two grandchildren.