In yesterday's obituary about the Rev. Walter G. Gummelt, 59, a Baptist minister, his first name was incorrect. (Published 8/4/90)

R. Frank Busby, 57, an oceanographer and author who since 1974 had operated his own oceanographic consulting firm, Busby Associates, died of congestive heart failure Aug. 1 at his home in Arlington.

Mr. Busby was a specialist in the technology of deep undersea submergence and had done consulting work and given lectures in this field in Europe, the Soviet Union and Japan. He was the author of "Manned Submersibles," a reference work on undersea submergence, and he had written more than 60 articles and papers on the use of manned and unmanned underwater vehicles.

A native of Brooklyn, N.Y., he grew up in Pennsylvania and New Hampshire. He served in the Army in Korea during the Korean War and was awarded a Purple Heart.

After the war, Mr. Busby came to Washington and graduated from American University. He received a master's degree in oceanography at Texas A&M University, then returned to this area.

From 1960 to 1974 he was an oceanographer with the U.S. Naval Oceanographic Office. While there, he planned and then served as chief Navy scientist on a 30-day submerged transit along 1,600 miles of the Gulf Stream in the Ben Franklin, a submersible, in 1969.

He was a fellow of the Marine Technology Society and chairman of its undersea vehicle committee and had served on ocean-related technology panels of the National Research Council, the Office of Technology Assessment of the U.S. Congress and the technical advisory committee of the Department of Commerce.

His marriage to Marian Busby ended in divorce, and he was separated from his second wife, Kathleen Busby.

Survivors include two children from his first marriage, Lisa Pulling of Fairfax Station and Andrew Busby of Fairfax; a brother; and two grandchildren.


Baptist Pastor

The Rev. Warren G. Gummelt, 59, former pastor of Belle View Baptist Church in Alexandria, died of brain cancer July 29 at the Hospice of Northern Virginia.

Mr. Gummelt retired as pastor of Belle View Baptist Church in 1988 after 12 years' service. From 1958 to 1973 he had been pastor of the Parkway Baptist Church in District Heights. While serving in that capacity, he was president of the pastors conference of the D.C. Baptist Convention.

He was a colonel in the Army Reserve and had been chaplain to several Army Reserve units. He had also served as a volunteer chaplain at Mount Vernon Hospital.

A resident of Alexandria, Dr. Gummelt was born in Lorena, Tex. He graduated from Baylor University, received a master's degree in divinity at Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary in Fort Worth. He served student pastorates before moving to the Washington area to become the pastor at Parkway Baptist Church in 1958.

He returned to Texas and received a doctorate of ministry at Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary after leaving Parkway Baptist Church, then did a year of clinical pastoral education with the Army at Fort Gordon, Ga.

He was a trustee of the Southern Baptist Convention and had been chairman of the finance committee of the Mount Vernon Baptist Association.

Survivors include his wife of 35 years, Jo Ryals Gummelt, of Alexandria, and a son, Walter Gordon Gummelt Jr., of Southwick, Mass.


Charles County Teacher

Katherine M. Racey, 35, a mathematics teacher in the Charles County, Md., public school system for the past 13 years, died of cancer Aug. 1 at her home in LaPlata.

Mrs. Racey was a member of the National Hot Rod Association and she owned a 1967 Ford Camarro that she drove in drag races at Budds Creek in St. Mary's County, Md.

A native of LaPlata, Mrs. Racey graduated from Lackey High School in Indian Head and Towson State College, where she majored in mathematics. She received a master's degree in mathematics at George Washington University.

As a teacher, she was assigned to Matthew Henson Middle School in Bryans Road, Md. For the past four years she also had been a real estate agent for Baldus Real Estate in LaPlata.

She was a member of the Sacred Heart Catholic Church in LaPlata.

Survivors include her husband, John A. Racey of LaPlata; her mother, Mary C. Potter of White Plains, Md.; her father, Edwin C. Dutton Sr. of Waldorf, Md.; seven sisters, Mary Patrcia Berry, Cynthia Parkinson and Suzanne Willett, all of Waldorf, Debora Payne of Dunkirk, Md., Sandra Zanko of Nanjemoy, Md., Constance Dutton of Frederick, Md., and Julie Stauffer of Bethlehem, Pa.; and four brothers, Edwin C. Dutton Jr. of Phoenix, John Bruce Dutton of Waldorf, David Brian Dutton of College Park and Michael Patrick Dutton of White Plains.



Malcolm Branton Adams, 81, a Northern Virginia barber for almost 40 years, died of cancer July 30 at Alexandria Hospital.

Mr. Adams, who lived in Arlington, was born in Erwin, N.C. He moved to the Washington area in 1942 and worked as a letter carrier in Alexandria before he became a barber in the late 1940s. He worked at several barbershops in Alexandria and Arlington before retiring last year.

For 29 years Mr. Adams had been a member of the Arlingtones, a Northern Virginia unit of the Society for the Preservation and Encouragement of Barbershop Quartet Singing in America. He was a member of Fairpark Baptist Church in Alexandria.

His marriage to the former Mary Louise Whitley ended in divorce.

Survivors include his wife of 34 years, Wanzie Nance Adams of Arlington; two daughters of his first marriage, Mary Branton Campanero of Cape Coral, Fla.; and Martha Adams Miller of Clinton; a brother, Theron Ray Adams of Raleigh, N.C.; two sisters, Mary Adams Hillard of Fuquay Varina, N.C., and Irene Adams Moore of Angier, N.C.; four grandchildren, and five great-grandchildren.


OMB Secretary

Ella C. "Kay" Dorris, 74, a retired secretary at the Office of Management and Budget, died of heart ailments July 27 at her home in Washington.

Miss Dorris was born in Leadwood, Mo. She attended Central Missouri College and the University of Missouri. During World War II, she went to work for the old War Department in St. Louis.

In 1942, she moved to Washington. She remained with the War Department until joining the old Budget Bureau, the forerunner of the Office of Management and Budget. In 1971, she retired from OMB with 30 years of federal service.

Survivors include a sister, Opal Elbert of Petersburg, Ind.


Real Estate Broker

C. Millicent Chatel, 90, a retired Washington real estate broker who founded the C. Millicent Chatel Real Estate Company here in 1956, died of congestive heart failure July 21 at a hospital in San Diego. She had been hospitalized since suffering a stroke in the early 1980s.

Mrs. Chatel, who lived in Washington before her stroke, was born in Eugene, Ore. She graduated from Pomona College in California, and as a young woman she studied art in Paris.

She moved to Washington in the late 1940s and with her husband, Jean C. Chatel, opened a real estate brokerage known as Chatel Real Estate. After they were divorced in 1956, Mrs. Chatel formed the C. Millicent Chatel Real Estate Company. She retired in 1980.

Survivors include a son, Dr. John C. Chatel of Sparta, Wis., and a grandson.


Montgomery County Educator

Lois D. Martin, 81, a retired vice principal of Congressional Elementary School in Silver Spring, died of a heart attack Aug. 1 at the Washington Hospital Center.

Mrs. Martin, a resident of Washington, was born in Galveston, Tex. She graduated from Fisk University and received a master's degree in education at Columbia University.

She taught in New York City public schools before moving to the Washington area in 1950 and joining the Montgomery County school system. She was vice principal of Congressional Elementary from 1950 until she retired in 1975.

Mrs. Martin was a member of the Bridge Builders and the Tuesday Bridge Club, both of which are bridge clubs. She also was a national board member of the Girls Clubs of America and a member of the Urban League, the Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, the Alpha Wives and St. Luke's Episcopal Church in Washington.

Her first husband, Randall Tyus, died in 1975.

Survivors include her husband, Rowland J. Martin Sr. of Washington; a stepson, Rowland J. Martin Jr. of Washington, and a sister, Bernice O. James of Galveston.


HUD Employee

William R. Coley, 78, a retired clerk at the Department of Housing and Urban Development and a deacon of the First Baptist Church of Deanwood, died Aug. 1 at Doctors Hospital of Prince George's County in Lanham. He had a stroke.

Mr. Coley, a resident of Lanham, was born in Fremont, N.C. He moved to the Washington area in 1929. He attended the old Cortez Peters Business College. During World War II, he served in the Army.

He went to work at the Federal Housing Administration after the war and later joined HUD. He retired in 1973. For about 20 years he also was a part-time real estate salesman for Jollissaint Realty in Washington. He retired from that work in 1975.

His first wife, Zola Coley, died in 1953.

Survivors include his wife, Helen Coley of Lanham; a son, Bruce H. Coley of Washington; two sisters, Sadie Swenson and Susie Duckett, both of Goldsboro, N.C.; and seven grandchildren.


Airline Stewardess

Janet Grimm Heare, 70, a native Washingtonian and former airline stewardess and model, died of septicemia and heart and lung ailments July 16 at Cape Canaveral Hospital in Florida.

Mrs. Heare, who lived in Merritt Island, Fla., was a graduate of Western High School. She attended Duke University and graduated from Wilson Normal School. She was a model for the Harris & Ewing photography studio and an airline stewardess as a young woman.

She lived in Washington until 1960, when she accompanied her husband, Johnson T. Heare, on assignments to California, Pakistan and Liberia with the U.S. Geological Survey. They returned to Washington in 1970 and moved to Florida in 1974.

In addition to her husband, of Merritt Island, survivors include a son, Stephen F. Heare of Potomac.


Trash Hauler

Rudolph T. Neal, 77, an independent trash hauler who operated Neal's Refuse in the Glen Echo area of Montgomery County for 20 years before retiring in the early 1980s, died of congestive heart failure July 31 at Suburban Hospital.

Mr. Neal was a lifelong resident of Bethesda. He attended Armstrong High School in Washington and served in the Army in World War II.

Before going into the trash hauling business, he had been a self-employed printer, cement finisher, stone mason, septic tank installer and exterior decorator.

His marriage to the former Arline Malone ended in divorce.

Survivors include a sister, Malissa Neal Stephens of Washington.