Thomas Moncure, 70, an Alexandria lawyer since 1947 who was active in professional, civic, political, and volunteer groups, died of cardiac arrest Aug. 4 at the National Orthopaedic & Rehabilitation Hospital. He lived in Alexandria.

Mr. Moncure served as an assistant to Commonwealth's Attorney Howard W. Smith Jr. in Alexandria from 1947 to 1953, and was U.S. Commissioner for the Eastern District of Virginia from 1961 to 1965. He served as president of the Alexandria Bar Association in 1960 and as chairman of committees of the Virginia Bar Association.

He was chairman of the Alexandria City Democratic Committee from 1950 to 1954. He served as secretary of the Alexandria Charter Commission in the late 1940s and early 1950s.

Mr. Moncure was a native of Alexandria and a 1936 graduate of George Washington High School. He graduated from Virginia Military Institute in 1940 and Georgetown University law school in 1947. He had served in the Army during World War II and attained the rank of major.

He engaged in the private practice of general law in Alexandria until his death. He had once been associated with the old Alexandria law firm of Howard W. Smith Jr. and the late U.S. Circuit Court Judge Albert V. Bryan Sr. Mr. Moncure's father, Robinson Moncure, had been a judge on Alexandria's Corporation Court.

Mr. Moncure had served terms on the vestry of Christ Episcopal Church in Alexandria and was a member of the Sons of the American Revolution. He also had served on the local boards of the Kiwanis and of organizations fighting cancer and tuberculosis.

His wife, the former Minota Bayliss, died in 1987. His survivors include three sons, John R. Moncure of Alexandria, Air Force Lt. Col. Thomas B. Moncure of Poquoson, Va., and Air Force Maj. Mark D. Moncure of Panama City, Fla.; a sister, Marguerite Moncure Lamond of Alexandria; and six grandchildren.


D.C. Schoolteacher, Official

Marjorie Percy Bowen, 87, a retired language teacher and administrator with the D.C. schools, died of pneumonia at Homewood Hospital Center in Baltimore. She lived in Towson, Md.

Mrs. Bowen, who lived in Washington from 1935 to 1985, was a native of Philadelphia. She graduated from Goucher College in Baltimore and received a master's degree in education from Columbia University.

She began her career with the D.C. schools as a language teacher in 1935. She taught French and Spanish at the old Western High School until 1954, then spent two years as the school's assistant principal. From 1956 until retiring in 1965, she was director of foreign languages for the D.C. schools.

During summer breaks, Mrs. Bowen served on the faculty and was an associate director of the Columbia University French residence program. She was a demonstration teacher at Pennsylvania State University in 1962, and was presented with an academic award by the French government in 1964.

In the early 1950s, she was president of the Washington chapter of the American Association of Teachers of French. She was a member of the Modern Language Association.

Her marriage to Robert Sidney Bowen Jr. ended in divorce.

Survivors include a son, Robert W. Bowen of New York City, and three grandchildren.


Chinese Artist and Teacher

Chuan Chun Chang, 65, a painter, poet, calligrapher, and teacher who had lived in this area since 1980, died Aug. 2 at Suburban Hospital in Bethesda. He had Parkinson's disease.

His professional name was Chang Yi.

Since 1985, he had taught Chinese painting and calligraphy in the Smithsonian Institution's resident associates program. He had given several area one-man shows, including a 1985 exhibition at the Strathmore Arts Center in Bethesda.

He also had demonstrated Chinese painting and calligraphy at such institutions as the National Museum of Natural History and had appeared on WTTG's "Panorama" program.

Mr. Chang, who lived in Gaithersburg, was a native of mainland China. He had written poetry, served in the Army and worked in the government before going to Taiwan. In Taiwan, he served with the Cultural and Educational Committee for National Cultural Affairs and taught at Fu-Jen University.

Survivors include his wife, Chang Ya-i of Gaithersburg; five daughters, Tao-Hsing Chang Tseng of Taiwan and Wei-Hsing Chang, Yu-Hsing Chang, Yuan-Hsing Chang and Han-Hsing Chang, all of Gaitherburg; two sons, Ye-Ching Chang of Taiwan and Kuo-Ching Chang of Gaithersburg; and a brother, of China.


Real Estate Agent

Jane Eleanor Chisholm Powell, 64, a real estate agent with Town & Country Properties in Reston, died of cancer Aug. 3 at her home in Reston.

Mrs. Powell was born in Portland, Ore. In 1951, she moved to Washington and went to work for the State Department as a secretary. She was assigned to the U.S. Embassy in Karachi, Pakistan.

While there she married William Powell, a Foreign Service officer. She accompanied him on various State Department and U.S. Customs Service assignments to Afghanistan, Canada, Japan and Britain.

In 1979, Mrs. Powell joined Town & Country Properties. She remained with the company until her death and was a member of its Million Dollar Sales Club and Gold Key Club.

In addition to her husband, of Reston, survivors include two children, Mitchell Powell of Reston and Jennifer Roberts of Plano, Tex.; her twin sister, Janice Beyer of Gresham, Ore.; a brother, James Chisholm of Gladstone, Ore., and two grandchildren.


Restaurant Owner

Constantine A. Jones, 92, a Washington restaurant owner from 1949 to 1967 who was a Shriner and a Mason, died of pneumonia Aug. 3 at Holy Cross Hospital. He lived in Silver Spring.

He owned and operated Packard restaurant, near First and H streets NW, and Capitol View restaurant, on East Capitol Street, before retiring.

Mr. Jones was born in Albania and came to this country in 1920. He lived in Connecticut and New York before moving to the Washington area in 1949.

Survivors include his wife of 71 years, Maria Jones, and two sons, Duke and William Jones, all of Silver Spring; a daughter, Helen Jeris of Yonkers, N.Y.; and nine grandchildren.


Army Department Employee

Rose Nelson, 74, a retired budget and contract employee of the Department of the Army, where she worked on ordnance matters, died Aug. 1 at her home in Washington. She had Alzheimer's disease.

Miss Nelson was born in Portland, Maine, and had lived in Washington since moving here in 1934. A year later, she went to work for the old War Department. She transferred to the Army Department when it came into existence in 1947. She retired in 1978.

She was a volunteer with the United Jewish Appeal Federation, Hadassah and the Jewish National Fund, and was a member of Adas Israel Congregation.

There are no immediate survivors.


Pentecostal Minister

The Rev. Joshua Quarles, 90, a Pentecostal minister and a retired clerk at the National Labor Relations Board, died of heart ailments and diabetes Aug. 1 at Hadley Memorial Hospital.

Elder Quarles, a resident of Washington, had lived in the city since moving here from Edgefield, S.C., in 1924. He was a baggage handler at Union Station before going to work for the NLRB in the late 1940s. He retired in 1965.

He was minister of the Tyson Temple in Washington from the time he came here until his death, although in recent years he had been in semi-retirement for reasons of health. He was a member of the Holiness Ministers Council.

Survivors include his wife, Susie Quarles of Washington; 10 children, Johnnie, Thomas and William Quarles, Rosie Ricks, Bernice Bateman, Juanita Bradford, Delores Fogle, Veronica Rowe and Nancy Wiley, all of Washington, and Winnie Quandette West of Suitland; two brothers, McKinley and Henry Quarles, both of Washington; 53 grandchildren; 59 great-grandchildren, and 11 great-great-grandchildren.


Communications Specialist

Ernest Wendell Booth, 80, a retired communications specialist with the State Department, died Aug. 3 at his home in Washington. He had Alzheimer's disease.

Mr. Booth was born in Johnson City, Tenn. He served in the Army in Europe during World War II and settled in Washington in 1945. He was a guard at the National Gallery of Art for a year and then joined the State Department.

He was a communications specialist and spent his career in overseas assignments in Hungary, Yugoslavia, Brazil, Hong Kong, Iran, Italy, France and Britain. He retired in 1969, but continued as a consultant until 1984.

Survivors include his wife, Maria Sebok Booth of Washington; two sons, Thomas Ernest Booth of Arlington and Robert David Booth of Washington, and a grandson.


Magazine Editor

Neil Spitzer, 34, a Washington writer and magazine editor since 1983, died of a brain tumor Aug. 5 at Hospice of Washington. He lived in Washington.

Mr. Spitzer joined Wilson Quarterly in 1983 as a research assistant and became an associate editor of the publication in 1985. He left the journal to become managing editor of Washington Quarterly in 1989. He held that post until his illness later that year.

He also wrote a column on historical and political items of interest, which he syndicated to papers around the country. He was a contributor to Atlantic Monthly magazine.

Mr. Spitzer was born in New Jersey and grew up in Pennsylvania. A graduate of Michigan State University, he received a master's degree in international affairs at Johns Hopkins University's School of Advanced International Studies in Washington.

Survivors include his wife, Nancy Szabo Spitzer, whom he married in 1988 and who lives in Washington; his parents, Richard and Dorothy Spitzer of Chatham, Mass.; four brothers, Mark, of Seattle, Michael, of Lancaster, Pa., Paul, of Atlanta, and Stephen, of Northampton, Mass.; and four sisters, Judith Offer of Oakland, Mary Spitzer of Philadelphia and Carol Williamson and Ann Spitzer, both of Boston.


Construction Superintendent

John Joseph DeGiorgi, 73, an area cement mason and superintendent for 33 years before retiring in 1970, died of cancer Aug. 3 at a hospice in Salisbury, Md. He lived in Cambridge, Md.

He worked for several construction firms over the years, but spent the bulk of his career with the Kirk Lindsey concrete construction company in Washington.

Mr. DeGiorgi was born in Capitol Heights and attended Eastern High School. A former Temple Hills resident, he lived here until moving to Cambridge in 1970.

Survivors include his wife, Helen, of Cambridge; a son, Johnnie, of Nanjemoy, Md.; three daughters, Mary Tillman of Woodbridge, Dianne Strausser of Salem, Md., and Sandra Sobeck of West Virginia; a brother, Sal, of Naples, Fla.; and four sisters, Marie DeGiorgi of Temple Hills, Lena Kennedy of Annapolis, Rae Smith of Augusta, Ga., and Gussie Carey of King George, Va.


NOAA Information Specialist

Thomas B. "Ted" Jacobs, 74, a retired information specialist with the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, died of an aneurysm Aug. 3 at the Greater Laurel Beltsville Hospital in Laurel.

He came to Washington and began his government career in 1946. He worked for the U.S. Coast and Geodetic Survey and retired from NOAA in 1980.

Mr. Jacobs, who lived in Laurel, was a native of Hazelton, Pa. During World War II, he served with the Army in the Mediterranean theater, receiving three Purple Heart medals. He was a member of the Elks, Knights of Columbus and the American Legion.

Survivors include his wife of 41 years, Anna May Jacobs of Laurel; three sons, Thomas Jr., of Savage, Md., Robert, of Laurel, and Jeffrey, of Seabrook, Md.; a daughter, Patricia Jacobs of Marina Del Rey, Calif.; two brothers, Joseph, of Cheverly, and Robert E., of Hazelton; four sisters, Marion Forliano of Deland, Fla., Rita Foote of New York City, Marie Keen of McLean, and Helen Jacobs of Hazelton; and two grandchildren.