The obituary yesterday of Sidney Springer, 72, omitted the fact that he received the Commerce Department's Silver Medal for Outstanding Accomplishments. It also failed to include his marriage to the former Janet Bushlow, which ended in divorce, or their three surviving children, Fred Springer of Olney, Gloria Golden of Gaithersburg and Rosalind Rashad of California. (Published 8/9/90)

PARIS -- Jacques Soustelle, 78, a former cabinet minister who clashed with Gen. Charles de Gaulle over the Algerian conflict, died on Aug. 7 in the Paris suburb of Neuilly-sur-Seine. The cause of death was not reported.

A distinguished anthropologist noted for his study of pre-Colombian culture, Mr. Soustelle was named to the prestigious Academie Francaise in 1983 for his studies outlined in such books as "Life of the Aztecs" and "The Maya Civilization."

Jacques Emile Soustelle was born in the southern French town of Montpellier Feb. 3, 1912, the son of a Protestant railway worker. He studied letters at the Ecole Normale Superieure. A brilliant student, he became a world-class expert in anthropology and ethnology, principally that of Latin and Central America, where he was in 1939 at the outbreak of World War II.

Strongly opposed to fascism, he was among the first to rally to de Gaulle's appeal on June 18, 1940, from London to fight the Vichy government that collaborated with Nazi Germany. Mr. Soustelle became chief of the Free French force's secret service.

After the liberation of France in 1944, Mr. Soustelle served as minister of information and later minister of colonies. In 1955, he was appointed governor-general of Algeria by Premier Pierre Mendes-France.

The appointment of an intellectual with known left-wing sympathies caused trepidation in Algeria's European settler community, which was engaged in a bloody struggle with the anti-colonial National Liberation Front (FLN).

But to their surprise, Mr. Soustelle soon declared independence would be a disaster both for Algeria and France. He became popular among the "colons" and was withdrawn by the Socialist government in 1956.

De Gaulle returned to power in 1958 as the Algerian war threatened to tear France apart. Mr. Soustelle again became minister of information and later a deputy foreign minister.

The crowning moment of his career came on June 4, 1958, when he stood with de Gaulle before a delirious crowd of settlers in the French North African possession as the general told them: "Je vous ai compris." ("I have understood you")

By the end of 1959, however, de Gaulle had decided to let Algeria go, and Mr. Soustelle quit the government, saying he could not "make a deal with cutthroats."

He joined the OAS secret army in 1962. It conducted a campaign of assassination and sabotage in a bid to keep Algeria French. Mr. Soustelle was charged on Sept. 22, 1962, with "attempts against the state." The same year, renegade army officers tried to assassinate de Gaulle for giving Algeria independence.

He spent six years in exile. In 1968, after a political amnesty, he returned to France and resumed his academic and political career. He met with little political success. Increasingly, he devoted himself to his scholarly interests, becoming president of the Center Universitaire European.


CIA Official

Malburne Jewett Peabody, 78, a retired Central Intelligence Agency division chief who specialized in logistics, died Aug. 3 at his home in Falls Church after a heart attack.

Mr. Peabody worked 20 years for the CIA before retiring in 1972, and was assigned in a variety of engineering positions in the U.S., the Far East and Latin America. He was awarded a certificate of distinction upon his retirement.

In retirement, he did volunteer work helping Vietnamese refugees resettle in the United States.

He was born in Ipswich, Mass., and graduated from Massachusetts Maritime Academy and Northeastern University. Before World War II, he served in the merchant marine, then in 1941 joined the Navy. He was assigned at Pearl Harbor when the Japanese attack on Dec. 7, 1941, brought the United States into the war. He was discharged from the Navy as a lieutenant commander.

Before moving to the Washington area in 1952, Mr. Peabody was an engineer with Texaco in Boston.

He was a member of the Knights Templar, the Sons of the American Revolution and Arlington Forest United Methodist Church.

Survivors include his wife of 43 years, the former Anne M. Harp, of Falls Church; four children, Malburne Jewett Peabody Jr. and Deborah Anne Peabody, both of Falls Church, A. Douglas Peabody of New York City and Jonathan Forbes Peabody of Chicago; and five grandchildren.


House Builder

Bruce Clark "Dusty" Rhoades, 70, a Northern Virginia house builder, died of a liver ailment Aug. 3 at Mary Washington Hospital in Fredericksburg, Va.

Mr. Rhoades, who lived in Fredericksburg, was born in Reading, Pa. He served in the Marine Corps in the South Pacific during World War II, then moved to the Washington area and worked as a disc jockey at radio station WFAX in Falls Church.

In 1950, he began selling real estate in Arlington, then formed a residential building company, Rhoades and Strickler.

In the early 1970s Mr. Rhoades moved from Falls Church to Fredericksburg and continued in the building business as Bruce Associates, then as the Bruce Robert Corp.

He was a director of the Northern Virginia Building Association and the National Association of Home Builders.

For 25 years he was minister of music and baritone soloist at Gunton Temple Memorial Presbyterian Church in Washington. He was a high school football referee in Northern Virginia, a Mason and a Shriner.

Survivors include his wife, Betty Rhoades, and a daughter, Suzanne Rhoades, both of Fredericksburg; and two grandchildren.


Administrative Law Judge

William Leigh Ellis, 82, a retired administrative law judge with the Federal Power Commission, died of cancer Aug. 6 at his home in Arlington.

Mr. Ellis was born in Petosky, Mich. He graduated from Hillsdale College and moved to Washington in 1929. He graduated from George Washington University law school, where he also received a master's degree in law.

While in law school, Mr. Ellis worked for the State Department and the Tennessee Valley Authority.

He joined the staff of the General Accounting Office in 1935 and remained with the agency until 1957, when he left as head of investigations. From 1957 until 1960, he worked for Chief Justice Earl Warren as deputy director of the federal court system.

In 1960, Mr. Ellis was named administrative law judge at the Federal Power Commission. He served in that capacity until retiring in 1978.

He directed the duplicate bridge program at the Cosmos Club in retirement.

His marriage to Norma Foster Ellis ended in divorce.

Survivors include two children, Amy Foster Ellis and William Leigh Ellis Jr., both of Bronxville, N.Y.; and two grandchildren.


Rug Maker

Elizabeth Williams Miller, 69, a dietitian by training who had been an area rug maker for more than 25 years, died Aug. 5 at Suburban Hospital after a stroke. She lived in Bethesda.

She had been a member of the Greater Washington Rug Craft Guild for more than 25 years. She had exhibited both hooked and braided rugs at area craft shows.

Mrs. Miller was a native of Iowa City, Iowa, and an honors graduate of the University of Wisconsin. She served an internship in dietetics at the University of Chicago and was a dietitian at a hospital in Richland, Wash., during World War II.

She lived in Tennessee, California and New York before coming to the Washington area in 1951.

Survivors include her husband, Daniel R., of Bethesda; a son, Thomas, of Glen Ridge, N.J.; three daughters, Ruth Bernard of Yakima, Wash., and Laura Smearman and Janice Laux, both of Baltimore; two brothers, Robert Williams of Bethesda and John Williams of Stony Brook, N.Y.; and 11 grandchildren.


NASA Official

Dudley Wayne Howard, 65, a retired NASA construction superintendent and inspector who was a Mason and a member of First Baptist Church of Wheaton, died Aug. 5 at Shady Grove Adventist Hospital after a heart attack.

He spent 18 years with NASA before retiring in 1978. Before that, he had worked for the Naval Facilities Engineering Command from 1958 to 1960.

Mr. Howard, who was born in Darnestown, lived in Silver Spring before moving to Gaithersburg, where he had lived the last seven years. He was a graduate of Gaithersburg High School and attended South Carolina Presbyterian Colfege. He served in the Army in Europe during World War II. After that, he worked for the American Red Cross before joining the government.

Survivors include his wife of 44 years, Helen Howard, and a daughter, Gail Henson, both of Gaithersburg; a son, Wayne, of Rockville; a brother, Wilson, of Ocala, Fla.; a sister, Ethel Gasch of Darnestown; and two grandsons.


Teacher and Counselor

James D. Mahoney, 84, a retired counselor at Arlington's Yorktown High School who earlier was a teacher and vice principal at Washington-Lee High School, died of cancer Aug. 6 at Hospice of Northern Virginia.

Mr. Mahoney, who lived in Arlington, was born in Johnson City, Tenn. He attended Washinton and Lee University and graduated from Emory and Henry College in Emory, Va. He served in the Army Air Forces in England during World War II and was discharged as a lieutenant colonel.

He began his teaching career in Fluvanna County, Va., and later worked as a floor manager at Miller and Rhodes department store in Richmond. He moved to the Washington area around 1960 and began teaching at Washington-Lee. He retired from Yorktown in 1971.

He was a member of the Scottish rite in Alexandria.

Survivors include his wife, Catherine H. Mahoney of Arlington, and a sister, Elizabeth Bowers of Richmond.


Fairfax Principal

Elsie Tompkins Fletcher, 85, retired principal of Hollin Hall School in Fairfax County, died July 26 at Mount Vernon Nursing Home in Alexandria.

Mrs. Fletcher, who lived in Alexandria, was born in Bedford County, Va. She attended Radford and Mary Washington colleges and graduated from George Washington University.

She moved to the Washington area in 1929 and began teaching in Fairfax County in 1939. She taught at Baileys Crossroads and Groveton elementary schools before she was appointed principal at Hollin Hall in 1949. She retired in 1974.

Mrs. Fletcher was a former president of the Fairfax Education Association and a charter member and first president of the Mount Vernon chapter of the American Association of University Women.

Her husband of 34 years, Cecil C. Fletcher, died in 1962. Survivors include a daughter, Carolyn F. Hucks of Alexandria, and two grandchildren.


Warehouse Worker

James "Zoe" Davis, 53, a Giant Food Inc. warehouse worker, died of leukemia Aug. 4 at Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore.

Mr. Davis, who lived in Columbia, was born in Richmond. He attended Virginia Union College and served in the Navy in the late 1950s.

He moved to the Washington area and began working for Giant Food in 1960. At his death, Mr. Davis was assigned to the Giant Food warehouse in Columbia.

He had been a football, softball and basketball coach of youth and adult teams in Washington.

Survivors include his wife, the former Hilda Plater, of Columbia; two children, Tracy and Lori Davis, both of Columbia; a stepson, Ricky Durham of Washington; his parents, Alberta and William Davis of Richmond; three brothers, William and Thornton Davis of Richmond and Kenneth Davis of Washington; and two sisters, Shirley Jones and Charlene Cousins, both of Richmond.


Commerce Department Editor

Gladys A. West, 95, a foreign and domestic trade publications editor with the Commerce Department from the 1920s until retiring in 1960, died of respiratory failure July 30 at Manor Care nursing home in Wheaton. She lived in Silver Spring.

After retiring from the government, she did freelance work for trade publications and studied art. Mrs. West, who was a native of Illinois, came to the Washington area after World War I. She attended George Washington University and was a member of the Columbia Women.

Her husband, W. Reed West, died in 1986. Survivors include a son, Thomas Reed West of Washington.


Commerce Department Official

Sidney Springer, 72, a retired director of materiel management in the Office of the Secretary of Commerce, died of cancer on Aug. 1 at Suburban Hospital.

Mr. Springer, a resident of Chevy Chase, was born in the Bronx, N.Y. He attended St. John's College in Brooklyn, N.Y., and Southeastern University, Benjamin Franklin University and the Industrial College of the Armed Forces in Washington.

In 1940, Mr. Springer moved to Washington and went to work for the Navy Department in supplies and procurement. He remained there until 1950, when he joined the General Services Administration as a supply management specialist.

In 1958 and 1959, he was on loan to the U.S. foreign assistance program in Bolivia. In 1964, he transferred to the Commerce Department, and he retired in 1975. Since then, he had operated the Springer Insurance Agency in Chevy Chase.

Mr. Springer was a member of the Samuel Gompers-Benjamin Franklin Masonic Lodge No. 45 and the Almas Temple of the Shrine.

Survivors include his wife, Ann Springer of Chevy Chase; two daughters, Carole Tarbox and Dinah Long, both of Raleigh, N.C.; two sisters, Rae Leder of North Miami Beach, Fla, and Lee Mayer of Margate, Fla.; and nine grandchildren.



William McLean Scott, 65, a microbiologist who had worked for several research and development organizations in the Washington area, died of cardiac arrest on Aug. 6 at Mount Vernon Hospital.

Dr. Scott, who lived in Alexandria, was born in Washington. He graduated from McKinley Tech High School and the University of Maryland, where he also received a master's degree in microbiology. He received a doctorate in microbiology at the University of Wisconsin.

He began his professional career at Merck & Co. in Valleyfield, Quebec, then did postdoctoral study at Yale Univesity and taught at Wayne State University. He worked at G.D. Searle in Skokie, Ill., and Allied Chemical in Morristown, N.J. He taught at Ferris State College in Michigan before returning to the Washington area in 1974.

In this area, he had worked at Atlantic Research Corp., Macro Systems Inc., CDP Associates, RAI, Technical Resources and, since 1984 at HazTrain Inc. in LaPlata, Md.

His marriage to the former Patricia Chmielarski ended in divorce.

Survivors include three children, Stacey Scott of Sunnyvale, Calif., Peggylynn Scott and Steven Scott, both of Minneapolis; and a brother, Thomas Scott of Ames, Iowa.


Travel Specialist

Virginia Stull Rideout, 80, a retired travel specialist with the Agency for International Development and a member of Presbyterian Church of the Pilgrims in Washington, died of cancer on Aug. 4 at her home in Arlington.

Mrs. Rideout was born in Jordan Mines, Va. She graduated from Boston University. She moved to Washington in 1942 and began her career as a reservations clerk with Eastern Airlines. She later worked in travel offices at the U.S. Capitol and the Pentagon.

In 1951, after a brief period in Philadelphia, she joined the International Cooperation Administration, a forerunner of AID, and made travel arrangements for officials. She transferred to AID when it was organized in 1961, and she retired in 1977.

Mrs. Rideout was a member of the Woman's National Democratic Club, Common Cause and the PEO Sisterhood.

Her marriage to Richard Rideout ended in divorce.

Survivors include two children, Nancy R. Parker of Annapolis and Virginia Obenshain of Albuquerque, N.M.; two sisters, Mary Aiken Carson and Nancy S. Hyde, both of Buchanan, Va.; a brother, John W. Stull Jr. of Roanoke, Va.; and six grandchildren.


Air-Conditioning Contractor

Joseph Addison "Bucky" Darneille III, 66, a Prince George's County air-conditioning and heating contractor, died of heart ailments on Aug. 6 at Doctors' Hospital of Prince George's County.

Mr. Darneille, who lived in Mitchellville, was born in Capitol Heights. He graduated from Maryland Park High School and served in the Navy during World War II.

For 35 years, he owned and operated Enterprise Air Conditioning and Heating in Mitchellville. He also was president of Eaton/Enterprise Inc., an air-conditioning service.

He was a member of the Suitland Lions Club.

Survivors include his wife of 44 years, Elizabeth Ann Frazer Darneille of Mitchellville; four children, JoAnne D. FitzGerald of Deale, Md., Kathy J. Dove of Dunkirk and C. Lynn Darneille and Joseph A. Darneille IV, both of Mitchellville; a brother, Rodney W. Darneille of Merritt Island, Fla.; a sister, Vivian Darneille of Cumberland; nine grandchildren; and a great-grandchild.


Army Employee

H. Lee Poole, 75, a retired Army Department engineer and a Marine Corps veteran of two wars who was a member of St. Rita's Catholic Church in Alexandria, died of cancer on Aug. 4 at his home in Alexandria.

He spent 21 years as a civilian with the Army, as a structural and mechanical engineer, before retiring in 1973.

Mr. Poole was a native of White, Ga. He enlisted in the Marine Corps in 1935 and served in the Pacific during World War II. He worked for the Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta before being recalled to active duty during the Korean conflict. He retired, after 14 years active duty, from the Marines after the Korean war as a commissioned warrant officer.

Survivors include his wife, Frances M., of Alexandria; a daughter, Patricia Kuykendall of Woodbridge; three sons, Richard, of Fredericksburg, Va., and David and Michael, both of Alexandria; a brother, Robert, of Dayton, Ohio; and five grandchildren.


Church Member

Mary Jane Benson, 92, a longtime member of St. Paul's United Methodist Church in Kensington, died on Aug. 4 at the Century Oak Care Center in Berea, Ohio. She had a stroke.

Mrs. Benson was born in Cedar Grove in Montgomery County and she graduated from Germantown High School. She also graduated from the College of Wooster in Wooster, Ohio. She lived in Chevy Chase and at the Methodist Home in Washington before moving to Ohio in February.

Mrs. Benson was a member of Chapter C of the PEO Sisterhood in Washington. In 1965, she was named D.C. mother of the year by the American Mothers Association.

Her husband of 62 years, William Prescott Benson, died in 1980. Survivors include five children, Betty Coleman of Devon, Pa., Mary Jane Beem of Berea, Dr. William P. Benson of Baltimore, C. Herbert Benson of Arlington, and Carol Milligan of Sidney, Ohio; 17 grandchildren; and 25 great-grandchildren.



Margaret Ellen Vopatek, 70, a retired receptionist with the Pitney-Bowes company, makers of office machines and addressing equipment, died on Aug. 6 at the Fairfax Nursing Center in Fairfax. She had Alzheimer's disease.

Mrs. Vopatek, a resident of Alexandria, was born in Great Lakes, Ill. In 1939, she married Matthias J. Vopatek Jr., a Naval officer who retired as a commander. She accompanied him to various Naval stations in this country before settling in the Washington area in 1956.

She worked for Pitney-Bowes in Alexandria from about 1970 to about 1980.

Her husband died in 1985. Survivors include four children, Michael J. Vopatek of Arlington, Patricia A. Hartung of Burke, Margaet V. Whitworth of Fairfax, and Meta Marie Vopatek of Alexandria; her mother, Mary Riley of San Diego, Calif.; four sisters; three brothers; and eight grandchildren.


Volunteer and Secretary

Donna Ford Dimon, 86, a Red Cross volunteer at Children's Hospital and a former secretary to Washington psychiatrist Robert P. Odenwald, died of pneumonia and strokes on Aug. 5 at the Georgetown Retirement Residence.

Mrs. Dimon was a fourth generation Washingtonian. She spent her childhood in Queenstown, Md., then returned to Washington. She attended George Washington University.

During the 1950s, she worked as Odenwald's secretary and helped him prepare his book, "Psychiatry and Catholicism."

She had traveled extensively with her husband, Philip W. Dimon, whom she married in 1929. In addition to her husband, of Washington, survivors include two children, Sonia Prauser of Washington and Thomas Dimon of Oxnard, Calif.; a brother, Robert Ford of Silver Spring; three grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren.