Daniel Arthur Dugan, 74, a retired employee of the Bechtel construction company and a former member of the Arlington County Board, died of congestive heart failure Aug. 8 at Northern Virginia Doctors Hospital.

Mr. Dugan, who lived in Reston, was born in Washington. He grew up in Arlington and graduated from Washington-Lee High School. He attended the Corcoran School of Art.

After World War II service in the Navy in Europe, he went to work for what is now the U.S. Postal Service. In 1946, he joined the U.S. Civil Service Commission as a liaison official with veterans, and in 1948 he went to the Department of Labor as an administrative officer.

During this period, Mr. Dugan served on the Arlington County Board. He was elected in 1946 as part of a nonpartisan movement that opposed the conservative Democratic machine headed by Sen. Harry F. Byrd. He served until 1952, when he was forced to resign because of a 1788 Virginia law that prohibited federal officials from holding state office.

Issues on which Mr. Dugan contributed as a board member included upgrading the professional status of the fire department and a merit system for county employees.

In 1953, Mr. Dugan went to work as a construction superintendent with the Paddock Swimming Pool Co. He remained with the firm until 1970, when he joined the Bechtel Corp. He worked on Metro construction projects until he retired in 1979.

He also wrote poetry, and published two books, "And Night Came Down: A Story of the War Between the States in Narrative Verse" (1962), and "The Years of Roses and Drums" (1979).

He was a member of the Disabled American Veterans and St. John Newman Catholic Church in Reston.

His wife, Jeanne D. Dugan, died in 1979.

Survivors include a son, Robert L. Dugan of Vienna; two sisters, Mary Jane Jones of Fairfax and Dorothy Matthews of Sebastian, Fla.; and a grandchild.


Author and Economist

Joseph Marion Jones, 81, an author, economist and former government official, died of cardiopulmonary arrest Aug. 9 at his home in Arlington.

Dr. Jones was born in Texas and graduated from Baylor University. He received a master's degree in history and a doctorate in political science from the University of Pennsylvania.

He first came to Washington in 1929 as a research assistant in the general counsel's office of the Delaware and Hudson Railroad. Later he was an economist at the U.S. Tariff Commission and a divisional assistant at the State Department.

From 1943 to 1946, Dr. Jones was an associate editor of Fortune magazine in New York, then returned to Washington and the State Department. From 1948 to 1953, he was a special assistant in foreign aid programs in Washington and Paris.

Later he was a research fellow at Yale University, a consultant to the Ford Foundation and an assistant to Averell Harriman when Harriman was governor of New York.

In 1959, Dr. Jones returned to Washington and worked as a consultant to the Lasker Foundation's research and education committee until 1963. From 1963 until he retired in 1967, Dr. Jones wrote, traveled, did research and gave lectures while he was based in Rome and Florida.

He wrote five books, including "Fifteen Weeks," an account of the early development of the Marshall Plan for the economic rehabilitation of post-World War II Europe, and "Tariff Retaliation: Repercussions of Hawley-Smoot."

In 1978, Dr. Jones returned to the Washington area from Florida.

His marriage to the former Sarah Harrison ended in divorce. His second wife, the former Lillian Grosvenor, died in 1985.

Survivors include two children of his first marriage, Clarissa Parker of Washington and Clergue Jones of Arlington, and three grandchildren.



Carl Forest Breland, 70, a businessman who for the last 10 years had sold real estate for O'Brien Realty in Solomons, Md., died Aug. 8 at Patuxent Naval Air Station Hospital after a heart attack.

Mr. Breland was a former charter boat captain and distributor for Wilson sporting goods. He had operated a movie theater, drugstore, restaurant and bowling alley in Solomons.

He was born in Wiggins, Miss., and reared in Dearborn, Mich. He moved to the Washington area in 1938, and in 1941 joined the Maryland State Police. During World War II he served in the Army in Europe and received a Purple Heart. After the war he returned to the Maryland State Police and served there until moving to Solomons in 1948.

Mr. Breland was a founder and first president of the Maryland Charter Boat Association, a founder and first president of the Calvert Volunteer Rescue Squad, a past commodore of the Solomons Island Yacht Club and a member of the Solomons Lions Club and Chesapeake Hills Country Club. In the 1950s, he was a champion hydroplane racer.

Survivors include his wife of 49 years, Mary Louise Breland of Solomons; three children, Gary Breland of West Palm Beach, Fla., Jeanette Hull of Tallahassee, Fla., and Dona Collins of Dunkirk, Md.; a sister, Vivian Hitt of Norcross, Ga., and six grandchildren.


Bank Official and Editor

Hernando Miguel Valdes, 56, an official in the secretariat of the Inter-American Development Bank and a former newspaper editor in Panama, died of cancer Aug. 8 at Georgetown University Hospital.

Mr. Valdes, who lived in Rockville, was born in Panama. He attended the University of Panama and the school of journalism at Marquette University, then worked as a journalist in Panama until 1965, when he joined the staff of the Inter-American Development Bank as press correspondent in the bank's regional office in Mexico.

He was transferred to Washington in 1967 and held a variety of administrative jobs at the bank until 1978, when he returned to Panama as assistant editor of La Republica newspaper and editor in the information office of the Panama Canal Commission.

In 1980, Mr. Valdes returned to Washington. His job in the secretariat of the bank included a variety of duties for the board of directors, and involved preparing agendas and keeping records of meetings.

Survivors include his wife, Mayra D. Sucre Valdes, and two children, Hernando Miguel Valdes and Alalena Valdes, all of Rockville; his mother, Helena Charis de Valdes, and three brothers and two sisters, all of Panama.


Auto Leasing Manager

Don E. Lee, 55, manager of the new car leasing department at Stohlman Oldsmobile in Alexandria, died Aug. 7 at Jefferson Memorial Hospital in Alexandria. He had AIDS.

Mr. Lee, who lived in Falls Church, was born in Mount Pulaski, Ill. He attended the University of Illinois and served in the Army in the 1950s.

He moved to the Washington area in the late 1950s and worked for the National Security Agency until 1963, when he went to work for Drug Fair. He was manager of the Drug Fair store in Gaithersburg in the 1970s. He then joined the staff of Congressional Oldsmobile in Rockville, where he became sales manager.

He joined the staff of Stohlman Oldsmobile in 1981, and held a variety of sales and administrative jobs there before he became manager of the new car leasing department.

His marriage to the former Jacqueline Gaffney ended in divorce.

Survivors include his longtime companion, Richard A. Gleissner of Falls Church; four children, Dwight Timothy Lee of Laurel, Diana Lee Bergstrom of Germantown, and Amy Lee Helweg and Paul Andrew Lee, both of Richmond; his mother, Ruth Lee of Mount Pulaski; and two grandchildren.


Sears Roebuck Clerk

Ruth Anne Holland Ratti, 65, a former clerk in the customer account service department of the Sears Roebuck store in Rockville, died of cancer Aug. 8 at her home in Rockville.

Mrs. Ratti was born in Seattle. She attended Whitman College in Walla Walla, Wash., and San Mateo Junior College in San Mateo, Calif.

She served in the Coast Guard Women's Reserve in Washington from 1944 to 1946. In 1947 she married Ricardo A. Ratti, a Coast Guard officer who retired as a rear admiral, and she accompanied him on assignments around the United States. They settled in Rockville in 1969.

Mrs. Ratti worked for 16 years at the Rockville Sears Roebuck store before retiring in 1985.

She was a member of the bell choir and the Dine and Deal bridge club at Christ Episcopal Church in Rockville, where she also helped print the bulletin and worked at the Bargain Box. She was a volunteer driver for the American Cancer Society and a member of the PEO Sisterhood.

In addition to her husband, of Rockville, survivors include four children, Carolyn Matthews of Rockville, Christine Ratti of Holly Hill, Fla., Coast Guard Lt. Cmdr. Steven Ratti of Newport News, Va., and Julie Sturm of Bowie; three brothers, Eugene, John and James Holland, all of Seattle; and two grandchildren.


Real Estate Developer

Sheldon W. Levine, 54, a real estate developer whose residential projects included Layhill Village and Stonegate in Silver Spring and the Cedars of McLean in McLean, died of cancer Aug. 3 at his home in Silver Spring.

Mr. Levine was born in Washington. He graduated from Coolidge High School and the University of Maryland. He served in the Marine Corps Reserve in the early 1960s.

He was a salesman for Pascal Inc., a wholesale liquor company, until 1964, when he began his career in real estate development. He remained active in the business until his death.

Mr. Levine was a member of B'nai Israel Synagogue in Rockville and Beth Sholom Synagogue in Washington.

Survivors include his wife, the former Paula Pascal of Silver Spring; three children, Nancy and Lisa Levine, both of Silver Spring, and Marc Levine of Washington; three sisters, Freda Lifshutz of Washington, Paula Rubenstein of Silver Spring and Dollye Becker of Pompano Beach, Fla.; and a brother, Marvin Levine of Silver Spring.


House Builder

George N. Speet, 69, a retired builder, died of heart ailments Aug. 9 at Fairfax Hospital.

Mr. Speet, who lived in Springfield, was born in Washington. He graduated from McKinley Technical High School.

During World War II he served in the Navy in the Pacific.

He was a self-employed house builder in the Washington area all his working life. He retired in 1982.

Mr. Speet was an organizer of the Annandale Boys Club and a member of the athletic boosters club of Annandale High School. He played golf at Twin Shields Country Club in Dunkirk, Md.

Survivors include his wife, Catherine B. Speet of Springfield; five children, Sharon Holgerson of Crofton, Donald N. Speet of Stafford, Va., Michael S. Speet of Winchester, Va., Diane Jarvis of Harrisonburg, Va., and Judy Bargerstock of Reston; and 21 grandchildren.


Aircraft Worker

Herbert Wells Whiteman, 96, a retired aircraft worker in New York, died of cardiac arrest Aug. 8 at his home in Washington.

Mr. Whiteman was born in Grenada. He lived in Trinidad before moving to New York City in the early 1920s. Before World War II, he worked for a doll factory. During the war he went to work for an aircraft company on Long Island, and he remained there until retiring about 1967.

Over the years, Mr. Whiteman maintained an open house for African students in New York. Among them was Kwame Nkrumah, later the first president of Ghana; Nhamdi Azikiwe, who became the first president of Nigeria; and Sam Njoma, the first president of Namibia. Mr. Whiteman visited Ghana at Nkrumah's invitation.

He was a member of St. Timothy's Episcopal Church in Washington.

His first wife, Catherine Caton Whiteman, died in 1972.

Survivors include his wife, the former Shirley B. Huggs, of Washington; three daughters by his first marriage, Lena Sylvester of Accra, Ghana, Dorothy Gerald of Rockville, and Gloria Williams of Bethany, Conn.; two stepchildren, Wally Huggs of Temple Hills and Sandra Huggs Johnson of Adelphi; 15 grandchildren; eight great-grandchildren; and a great-great-grandchild.


College Park Resident

Ann P. Lyddane, 59, a College Park resident since 1960, died of lung cancer and pneumonia Aug. 7 at Greater Laurel-Beltsville Hospital.

Mrs. Lyddane was born in Washington and grew up in Bethesda. She graduated from Holy Cross Academy and attended Southern Seminary in Buena Vista, Va.

Survivors include her husband of 38 years, Nicholas T. Lyddane Jr. of College Park; four children, Anthony Lyddane of Bethesda and Timothy, Ann Marie and Nicholas T. Lyddane III, all of College Park; a brother, Dr. Philip C. Pelland of Milwaukee; and three grandchildren.