Irving Rusinow, 75, a retired filmmaker who made motion pictures for government and educational organizations, died of cancer Aug. 2 at Mount Vernon Hospital.

Mr. Rusinow, who lived in Alexandria, was born in Detroit. He attended the University of Chicago.

He moved to the Washington area from New Jersey in 1941 and worked as a filmmaker for the Office of Inter-American Affairs. Later he was film director in the office of information of the Department of Agriculture.

In 1959, Mr. Rusinow formed his own company, Irving Rusinow Film Productions. He produced and directed more than 100 films and documentaries for government agencies and such organizations as the National Education Association, the College Entrance Examination Board and the Encyclopaedia Britannica. He had also written technical articles for professional journals.

Among Mr. Rusinow's better-known films were "A Desk for Billie," "Skippy and the Three R's," and "Freedom to Learn." Several of his films had been shown at American and European film festivals. He won two Golden Reel Awards.

Mr. Rusinow retired from Irving Rusinow Film Productions in 1980. Before retiring he formed a second company, Reading Unlimited, which produced teacher training films for use in the United States and Canada. This activity continued in retirement.

His marriage to the former Ann Bailin ended in divorce.

Survivors include his wife of 31 years, Kim Rusinow of Alexandria and their two children, Jeffrey Rusinow of San Marino, Calif., and Amy Nicar of Bristol, Tenn.; and two children by his first marriage, Terry Rusinow of Mendocino, Calif., and Susan Braverman of Watertown, Mass.


Army Wife and Realty Agent

Virginia H. Rudd, 47, an Army wife and real estate agent who was the retired Virginia recruiting director for the Shannon & Luchs real estate company, died of cancer Aug. 9 at her home in Burke.

Mrs. Rudd was born in El Paso. She attended Maryville College in Maryville, Tenn., and Western Kentucky University in Bowling Green, Ky. She also was a graduate of the Graduate Realty Institute.

In 1963, she married John R. Rudd, an Army officer, and she accompanied him to various military posts in this country and West Germany before his retirement as a full colonel. They moved to the Washington area in 1985.

Before moving here, Mrs. Rudd was a member of the million dollar sales club of a real estate firm in Clarksville, Tenn. In this area she was director of recruiting and training for Better Homes Realty until joining Shannon & Lucks early in 1988. She retired in 1989 for reasons of health.

She was a member of the Washington area chapter of the Chemical Officers Women's Club.

Survivors include her husband, of Burke; three children, Lynn R. Rudd of Burke and Amy E. and Jeffrey L. Rudd, both of Clarksville; her stepfather and mother, The Rev. and Mrs. Edward M. McCormick of Lawrenceburg, Ky.; a brother, William P. Hoskinson of Titusville, Fla.; a sister, Mary H. Cook of Louisville; two half-sisters, Ann M. Burton of Gales Ferry, Conn., and Charlotte M. Harley of Lawrenceburg; and a grandchild.



Sangthangpuii Henkai, 39, a beautician with Georgetown Hair Styling since 1980 who was a native of India, died Aug. 1 at the Washington Hospital Center. She had cancer.

Miss Henkai, who lived in Hyattsville, came to this country and the Washington area in 1973. She was a dietary supervisor at the Washington Hospital Center from 1973 to 1980.

Survivors include her husband, Ricky Johnson, and a son, Lalzawmpuia Zadeng, both of Hyattsville; her parents, Herbert and Sainguri Henkai, and two brothers, Lalchianga and Thanliana Henkai, all of Takoma Park; and four sisters, Zikpuii Sailo of India, Evaline Doley of Germantown, and Lalrozami and Rengpuii Henkai, both of Takoma Park.


Mechanical Engineer

Vincroft Bevin "Pope" Knight, 49, a mechanical engineer who was a cost estimator with Virginia Electric Power Co., died of a heart attack Aug. 7 at Greater Southeast Community Hospital.

Mr. Knight, who lived in Fort Washington, was born in Kingston, Jamaica. He first lived in Washington as a student at Howard University, where he majored in mechanical engineering. After graduating in 1969, he returned to Jamaica until 1972, when he moved here permanently.

He worked for several heating and air-conditioning firms and also had his own company for about three years before joining Virginia Power in 1985.

Mr. Knight was a member of the Instruments Society of America and the National Association of Heating, Cooling and Air Conditioning Engineers.

His marriage to Diana Hinds Knight ended in divorce.

Survivors include his wife, Marva Knight of Fort Washington; a son, Patrice Knight of Kingston; his mother, Sybel Knight of St. Elizabeth, Jamaica; three sisters, Elaine and Doslyn Palmer, both of London, and Doreen Willie of Silver Spring, and two brothers, Ferris and Oswald Knight, both of London.


Cambridge Lawyer

William Dunbar Gould III, 89, a Cambridge, Md., lawyer for more than 60 years, died of congestive heart failure Aug. 5 at the William Hill Health Care Center in Easton, Md.

Mr. Gould was born in Lonaconing, Md., and grew up in Baltimore. He graduated from Washington College and the Harvard University law school.

He moved to Cambridge and opened a law practice there in 1925, the same year he married Esther Doris Urie. She died in 1984.

During World War II, Mr. Gould served in the Navy in the South Pacific. He returned to Cambridge and his law practice in 1946. He retired in 1989.

Survivors include three children, Esther G. Jones of Cambridge, Rosabelle G. Wynn of Arlington and William D. Gould Jr. of Ruxton, Md.; a sister, Josephine G. Robinson, and two stepsisters, Mary H. Fletcher and Charlotte Fletcher, all of Annapolis; six grandchildren; and a great-grandchild.


FDIC Official

Joe S. Arnold, 58, a retired director of the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation's personnel management office, died of a heart ailment Aug. 9 in Rockville at the Potomac Valley nursing home, where he had lived since 1985.

He joined the FDIC in 1957 and served on its examination staff in Georgia and Florida before coming here in 1969. He retired in 1985.

Mr. Arnold, a former Washington resident who came here in 1969, was a native of Georgia. He was a graduate of Mercer University and served in the Army during the Korean War.

He leaves no immediate survivors.


Pizza Chef

Louis A. "Pizza Louie" Gallo, 66, a pizza chef who came to be known as "Pizza Louie" in the course of a 40-year career in the Washington area, died of cancer Aug. 10 at the Veterans Hospital in Washington.

Mr. Gallo, a resident of Silver Spring, was born in Bitner, Pa. He grew up in the Bronx, N.Y. During World War II, he served in the Navy in the Atlantic.

In 1950, he moved to the Washington area and became the pizza maker at the Villa Rosa Restaurant in Silver Spring. About 1960, he opened his own place in Silver Spring, Louie's Pizza. In 1969, he closed his business and went to work for the Stromboli Restaurant in Bethesda. He remained there until his death.

Mr. Gallo's recreations included going to the racetrack.

His wife, Catherine Gallo, died in 1968. Survivors include three children, Diane Brink of Columbia, Rosemary Gallo of Cockeysville, Md., and Linda Gallo of Crofton, Md.; and two grandchildren.


Former McLean Resident

Rita Elizabeth Oliver Weston, 45, a former McLean resident, died of cancer Aug. 9 at a hospital in Rochelle, Ill.

Mrs. Weston was born in Washington. She graduated from McLean High School.

In 1964 she moved to Daytona Beach, Fla., where she sold real estate. She had lived in Rochelle since 1985.

Survivors include her husband, Thomas Weston, and two children, Jay Weston and Beau Weston, both of Rochelle; her parents, Edgar and Helen Oliver of Seminole, Fla.; a sister, Maureen Oliver Caldwell of Potomac; and a brother, Eddie Oliver of St. Petersburg, Fla.