Maryland Senate President

George W. Della Sr., 82, a Baltimore Democrat who served as president of the Maryland Senate from 1951 to 1954 and again from 1959 to 1962, died Aug. 11 at a hospital in Baltimore. The cause of death was not reported.

During his years as Senate president, the post was widely regarded as the second most powerful in the state. The office of lieutenant governor was not established in Maryland until 1970.

He served in the state Senate from 1939 until defeated for reelection in 1962. After leaving the legislature, he was chief political lobbyist in Annapolis for Baltimore Gas and Electric Co. until retiring in 1985.



Taylor Garrison Belcher, 70, a retired Foreign Service officer who served as ambassador to Cyprus, then Peru between the mid-1960s and mid-1970s, died of cancer Aug. 6 at a hospital in Peekskill, N.Y. He lived in Garrison, N.Y.

Mr. Belcher received the State Department's Distinguished Service Award for peacekeeping work he did in Cyprus.

After graduating from Brown University in 1941 with a degree in international trade and finance, he was a Navy officer aboard the battleship USS Alabama during World War II. He joined the State Department after the war, serving in Europe, Latin America, the Middle East and Washington before retiring in 1974.


Lutheran Educator

The Rev. Donald R. Heiges, 80, a past president of two Lutheran seminaries, died of a heart ailment Aug. 10 at a retirement home in Gettysburg, Pa.

He was president of the Lutheran Theological Seminary in Gettysburg from 1962 to 1976, and of the Lutheran Theological Seminary in Philadelphia from 1964 to 1970. He also was a former dean of the Chicago Lutheran Theological Seminary.

Dr. Heiges taught at colleges and universities in New York and Pennsylvania. He also held a campus ministry office with the Lutheran Church and National Council of Churches.


Medical Researcher

William Bosworth Castle, 92, who pioneered research on such blood diseases as anemia and sickle cell anemia, died Aug. 9 in Boston after a heart attack.

Three years after joining the staff of Boston City Hospital in 1925, he discovered the cause of pernicious anemia, then a fatal disease. In Puerto Rico in 1931, while head of the Rockefeller Commission for the Study of Anemia, he introduced a new treatment for tropical sprue, a disease in which nutrients are not absorbed properly.

He also improved treatment for hookworm, which is accompanied by anemia. In 1940, Dr. Castle did research on how blood cells sickle, or curve into abnormal shapes.


University Official

Jewel Hairston Bell, 58, a social worker and educator who had been director of Tufts University's African-American Center since 1988, died of cancer Aug. 4 at a hospital in Boston.

She worked with the Bureau of Equal Opportunity of the Massachusetts Department of Education from 1977 to 1980, then served as head of the University of Oregon's Council on Minority Education before joining Tufts.

Mrs. Bell was a graduate of what is now Carnegie Mellon University in her native Pittsburgh and studied psychiatric social work at what is now Case Western Reserve University.


Air Force General

Paul E. Ruestow, 81, a retired Air Force major general who was director of logistics for U.S. Air Forces in Europe during World War II and commander of the Far East Air Logistics Force during the Korean War, died of a brain tumor Aug. 10 at his home in Jacksonville, Fla.

Gen. Ruestow, a native of Valley Stream, N.Y., graduated from the U.S. Military Academy at West Point, N.Y., in 1930. He served in the Army Corps of Engineers until 1936, then in the Army Air Corps. He transferred to the Air Force when it became a separate service in 1947. Virtually his entire career was in the field of logistics.