John Holt Merchant, 86, a retired Patent Office official and former legislative aide who was a charter member and past president of the Manassas Host Lions Club, died of congestive heart failure Aug. 11 at his home in Manassas.

He began his career with the Patent Office here in 1926. His posts had included that of editor in chief of the Journal of the Patent Office Society. He spent much of his career as director of trademark operations. His last assignment was to work on the negotiation of patent agreements with several foreign governments, including the Soviet Union. He retired in 1968.

From about 1970 to 1974, he was a legislative assistant to Del. Stanley A. Owens (D-Manassas) in the Virginia General Assembly.

Mr. Merchant was born in Richmond and came to Manassas, where he lived almost 80 years, at an early age. He graduated from George Washington University in 1929 with a degree in chemistry. He also read law with a Manassas lawyer before he was admitted to the Virginia Bar in 1932.

He had been a senior warden, vestryman and treasurer of Trinity Episcopal Church in Manassas. He also had been involved in various Manassas charitable and civic activities.

His first wife, the former Evelyn Harrison Cocke, died in 1959. Survivors include his wife, the former Emma Jane Reynolds of Manassas; three children by his first marriage, John Holt Merchant of Lexington, Va., William Fewell Merchant of The Plains, Va., and Evelyn Merchant Sutton of Richmond; and six grandchildren.


School Transportation Official

Eugene Vincent Loughran Jr., 43, a retired insurance analyst with the transportation office of the Fairfax County Public Schools who was active in community and volunteer groups, died of cancer Aug. 9 at his home in Burke.

Mr. Loughran, who moved here in the early 1960s, was a native of Queens, N.Y. After graduating from Washington-Lee High School in Arlington, he joined the Navy and served in Vietnam. In 1975, he received a degree in criminology from George Mason University.

He was an installer with C&P Telephone and then worked in the Central Intelligence Agency's security division before joining Fairfax County Schools in 1978. He retired for health reasons in 1989.

Mr. Loughran had been chairman of a Neighborhood Watch group and had written and directed a play on the history of Fair View Elementary School in Fairfax Station. The play was performed by its students. He also had served on the board of directors and had produced programs for Channel 10, a local public channel in Fairfax.

Survivors include his wife, Pam, a son, Mark, and a daughter, Michelle Loughran, all of Burke; his parents, Joan and Eugene Loughran Sr. of Annandale; and a brother, Edward, of Woodbridge.


Magazine Reporter

Leonard Zeidenberg, 64, a reporter with Broadcasting magazine since moving here in 1960, died Aug. 11 at Holy Cross Hospital after surgery for cancer. He lived in Bethesda.

At the time of his death, he was one of the magazine's senior correspondents. In June, he had reported a five-part series from Eastern Europe on changes in broadcasting in Poland, Hungary, East Germany and Czechoslovakia. Over the years his beats included the White House, the Supreme Court and the Federal Communications Commission.

Mr. Zeidenberg, who was a 1950 graduate of the University of California at Los Angeles, spent eight years as a reporter with the Manchester Evening Herald in his native Connecticut before coming here.

Survivors include his wife, Beverly, of Bethesda; a son, Peter, of Boston; two daughters, Erica Glidden of Lafayette, Calif., and Elizabeth Zeidenberg of Washington; and a grandchild.


Government Cartographer

Marie Palmer Abell, 85, a cartographer with the U.S. Geological Survey for 25 years before retiring in 1974, died of cancer Aug. 10 at her home in McLean.

Mrs. Abell, who was born in the Philippines, grew up in McLean and lived there until her death. She was a graduate of the National Cathedral School in Washington.

She had been an organist and choir director at the old St. John's Episcopal Church in McLean.

Her husband, Harry Sanderson Abell, died in 1939. Survivors include a daughter, Mary Abell Courage of Naples, Fla.; a brother, Alfred M. Palmer of Augusta, W.Va.; four grandchildren; and three great-grandchildren.


Soldiers' Home Employee

Leon P. Kogutkiewicz, 67, an employee of the Soldiers' and Airmen's Home in Washington, where he managed the gymnasium and athletic facilities, died of heart ailments Aug. 9 at the Veterans Hospital in Washington.

Mr. Kogutkiewicz, who lived at the Soldiers' and Airmen's Home and was a member of its board, was born in Milwaukee. He served in the Army in Europe in World War II.

He worked for the Milwaukee municipal government and then a department store in Milwaukee before moving here in 1978 and going to work at the Soldiers' and Airmen's Home.

He was active in Catholic Church affairs at the home.

His marriage to Beatrice Kogutkiewicz ended in divorce.

Survivors include his wife, Josephine Carino Smith, whom he married in 1984, of Washington; four sons by his first marriage, Michael Kogutkiewicz of Oregon, Patrick Kogutkiewicz of Oshkosh, Wis., Jeffrey Kogutkiewicz of Tempe, Ariz., and David Kogutkiewicz of Westerville, Ohio; a sister, Valeria Rozwadowski of Milwaukee; three brothers, Roman and Sigfried Kogutkiewicz, both of Milwaukee, and Henry Kogutkiewicz of Greensboro, N.C.; and two grandchildren.


Navy Captain

Donald Carlyle Higgins, 76, a retired Navy captain who worked as a systems engineer with the Mitre Corp. here and in California, died Aug. 9 at his home in Carmel, Calif. He had cancer.

Capt. Higgins, who lived in the Washington area from 1960 until 1978, was a native of Los Angeles. He received his Navy commission in 1937, a year after graduating from the University of California at Los Angeles. He flew from carriers in the Pacific and Atlantic during World War II and later worked in Naval Intelligence before retiring from active duty in 1962. He then worked for Mitre, which does research for the Defense Department, until retiring about 1980.

His first wife, Winifred, died in 1973. Survivors include his wife, the former Mary Kay Campbell, of Carmel; two children by his first marriage, Donald, of Philadelphia, and Patricia Batcheler of Iowa City, Iowa; two stepchildren, Scott Campbell of Monterey, Calif., and Leslie Campbell of Hermosa Beach, Calif.; two brothers, Clark, of Seattle, and Clair, of Los Angeles; and four grandchildren.


Restaurant Owner

Konstantinos G. Kavadias, 88, a retired Washington restaurant owner who was a native of Greece, died Aug. 11 at Doctors' Hospital of Prince George's County after a heart attack.

Mr. Kavadias came to this country in 1926 and worked in the restaurant business in New York City and Norfolk before moving to the Washington area in 1950. For about the next 15 years he owned and operated two Washington restaurants, the Virginian of Capitol Hill and the Vienna Bakery and Restaurant. He was a partner in the A&K restaurant in Washington before retiring in 1970.

A former Washington resident, since retiring he had lived in Sunderland, Md., where he grew tobacco.

His marriage to Mary Kavadias ended in divorce.

Survivors include a son, Gabriel, of Portsmouth, Va.; a daughter, Sophie K. Harrigan of Lanham; a brother, Nicholas, of Cephalonia, Greece; a sister, Zaharoula Zenos of Athens; seven grandchildren; and three great-grandchidren.


Stenographic Teacher

Iola E. Long, 83, a retired Strayer Business College teacher who had been a deaconess at New York Avenue Presbyterian Church in Washington, died of cancer Aug. 11 at George Washington University Hospital. She lived in Washington.

After graduating from a business school in her native Pennsylvania, Miss Long taught courses dealing with such subjects as stenography and court-reporting in Oklahoma, Florida, Michigan and New York. She came here from New York City in the late 1950s and taught at Strayer for 16 years before retiring in 1980.

She was a member of the National Shorthand Reporters Association. She had done volunteer work with Meals-on-Wheels.

Survivors include a sister, Thelma Long of Buffalo.