Ralph W. Crain, 84, a retired architect with the National Capital Housing Authority, died Aug. 11 at a hospital in Boca Raton, Fla., after a heart attack.

Mr. Crain was born in Topeka, Kan., and graduated from the University of Illinois as an architectural engineer.

He moved to the Washington area in 1930, and before World War II worked as an architect for various federal agencies involved in housing construction. During the war, he served in the Army in the Pacific.

He joined the staff of the National Capital Housing Authority after the war and remained there until retiring in 1963 as chief of structural engineering and design.

Mr. Crain had designed private homes in Arlington, including his own home.

For 10 years, he had been assistant scoutmaster of the Arlington Boy Scout troop sponsored by Trinity Presbyterian Church in Arlington. He was a golfer and a member of the Washington Golf and Country Club.

He had lived in Boca Raton since moving there from Arlington in 1968.

His first wife, Ann Johnston Crain, whom he married in 1935, died in 1967.

Survivors include his wife of 22 years, Essie Carter Crain of Boca Raton; and two children of his first marriage, Richard Lacey Crain of Alexandria and Elizabeth Crain of Roseburg, Ore.


Acoustics Executive

John Anthony McCann, 42, general manager of Racal Acoustics Inc. in Frederick, died of cancer Aug. 10 at Georgetown University Hospital.

Mr. McCann, who lived in Bethesda, was born in Glasgow, Scotland. He was a telecommunications engineer in England, Scotland and Saudi Arabia before moving to the United States in 1980. He was a telecommunications engineer and salesman in Morristown, N.J., before moving to the Washington area and joining the staff at Racal Acoustics about four years ago. His duties there involved market research, design and arranging the manufacture of electroacoustic products in the United States.

His marriage to Eileen McCann ended in divorce.

Survivors include his companion of 3 1/2 years, Leslie Tracy of Bethesda; and two children by his marriage, Paul McCann of England and Nicola McCann of Morristown.


Clinical Psychologist

Harold D. Crowley, 80, a retired Arlington clinical psychologist who was a member of St. Agnes Catholic Church in Arlington, died of pneumonia Aug. 12 at Arlington Hospital. He lived in Arlington.

Mr. Crowley, who came here during World War II, was a native of Fairport, N.Y. He served in the Army in the Pacific during World War II. He was a graduate of Catholic University, where he also received a master's degree in psychology.

He spent four years with the Veterans Administration before begining his private practice in Arlington in 1955. He retired in 1982. In addition to his private practice, he had served as a consultant to Head Start, St. Elizabeths Hospital and a Fairfax County drug rehabilitation program.

Survivors include his wife, the former Ruth Ireland, of Arlington; two brothers, James, of Macedon, N.Y., and William, of Fairport; and a sister, Elizabeth Carney of Macedon.


Navy Dept. Clerk

Ann Elizabeth Bankett, 78, a retired Navy Department clerk, died of cancer Aug. 12 at Fox Chase Nursing Home in Silver Spring.

She worked about 20 years for the Navy Department before retiring in the mid-1970s. Mrs. Bankett, who lived in Hyattsville, was born in Washington. She attended Dunbar High School.

She was a member of Plymouth Congregational Church in Washington.

Her husband, Aaron Bankett, died in 1982. She leaves no immediate survivors.


Insurance Executive

Maxwell Oxman, 87, a retired insurance executive who had operated East Coast insurance agencies from Maine to Florida, died of congestive heart failure Aug. 4 at Georgetown University Hospital.

Mr. Oxman, who lived in Washington, was born in New York City. He moved to the Washington area from Ohio in 1953.

His insurance agencies had been based in Silver Spring until 1968, when he merged his businesses with Pennsylvania Life Insurance Co. Mr. Oxman then became a vice president of Pennsylvania Life. He retired in 1974.

Mr. Oxman was a trustee of the Corcoran Art Gallery and the National Symphony Orchestra.

His wife, Beatrice Oxman, died in 1980. He leaves no immediate survivors.



Allan P. Robey, 76, a D.C. Fire Department firefighter for 23 years before retiring on disability in 1966, died Aug. 12 at Mary Washington Hospital in Fredericksburg, Va., after a stroke.

Mr. Robey, who lived in Arlington, was born in Washington. He attended the old Business High Schoool.

He was a member of Arlington's Cherrydale United Methodist Church, a Mason and a Shriner.

His first wife, Florence S. Robey, died in 1969. Survivors include his wife, Exxie D. Robey of Arlington; three children by his first marriage, Robert Allan Robey of Arlington, Eugene W. Robey of Leesburg and Linda S. Robey of Gloucester, Va.; a stepdaughter, Karen M. Davis of Gaffney, S.C.; and five grandchildren.



Marie Trawick Giles, 94, an area resident since 1969 who was a former Georgia schoolteacher, died Aug. 11 at Manor Care Nursing Home in Wheaton after a stroke.

Mrs. Giles, who lived in Cottage City, was born in Hancock County, Ga. She graduated from Brenau College in Gainsville, Ga., and moved to the Washington area in 1969, after having taught elementary school in Georgia for 32 years.

In this area, Mrs. Giles had done volunteer work for Foster Grandparents and served as a Sunday school teacher at Brentwood United Methodist Church and First Baptist Church of Bethesda.

Her husband, John Kyrgees Giles, died in 1928. Survivors include four children, Jacqueline Williams of Alexandria, John Kenneth Giles of Agricola, Va., Frances Stiefel of Jacksonville, Fla., and Shirley Schubert of Cottage City; and four grandchildren.


Registered Nurse

Martha Elizabeth Wagner, 83, a registered nurse who had worked at hospitals and on private duty cases in the Washington area, died Aug. 10 at Washington Hospital Center of complications following heart surgery.

Mrs. Wagner, who lived in Hyattsville, was born in Danville, Va. She came to Washington to attend nursing school at Sibley Memorial Hospital, where she graduated in 1931. After graduation, she worked about three years at Sibley, then worked periodically during the next 20 years on private duty cases and at Leland Memorial Hospital and Prince George's Hospital Center.

She was a member of First United Methodist Church of Hyattsville.

Her husband, John William Wagner Sr., died in 1979. Survivors include two sons, John W. Wagner Jr. of New Carrollton and Edward G. Wagner of Hyattsville; two brothers, William J. Walton of Alexandria and Samuel K. Walton of St. Joseph, Mich.; a sister, Mae W. Myers of Danville; five grandchildren; and five great-grandchildren.


Defense Dept. Official

Luke Albright Westenberger, 75, a retired Defense Department official who specialized in construction and logistics, died Aug. 11 at a hospital in Winter Park, Fla., after a heart attack.

Mr. Westenberger was born in Campbelltown, Pa., and graduated from Gettysburg College. Before World War II, he was a civil engineer on the construction of the Pennsylvania Turnpike.

He served in the Army during World War II and remained in the Army for 10 years after the war, serving in the military government of Japan and Okinawa.

Following his discharge as a major, Mr. Westenberger moved to the Washington area and began working for the Defense Department in 1957. He remained here until 1972, when he was posted in Brussels as part of the Defense Department staff at NATO.

Since retiring in 1976, Mr. Westenberger had lived in Winter Park.

Survivors include his wife, Dorothy of Winter Park; four children, James Westenberger of Palo Alto, Calif., David Westenberger of Fairfax, Robert Westenberger and Susan Bessy, both of Winter Park; nine grandchildren; and three great-grandchildren.