A Woodbridge man accused of hijacking a fuel truck at National Airport and shooting two people, including a former supervisor, was charged last year with threatening a fellow employee at the airport, according to court records.

Jeffrey Garland, 29, was charged in May 1989 with making "written threats to do bodily harm" to a fellow employee at Ogden Allied Aviation Services, the records stated. The felony charge was dropped last month after Garland complied with a court order to stay away from the employee, Gary Buck, the records said.

Buck, who still works for Ogden and was not one of the employees injured this week, declined to comment yesterday. Garland, who is no longer employed by the company, declined an interview at the Arlington Jail, where he is being held without bond on charges stemming from this week's incident.

At a bond hearing yesterday, Arlington County General District Court Judge Francis E. Thomas granted a request by Garland's attorney that his client be given a psychological evaluation.

"We asked the court for an evaluation of the defendant for both his competency to stand trial and his state of mind at the time of the alleged incident," said the attorney, John A. Wasowiscz.

The incident began about 10 p.m. Tuesday when a man carrying a .38-caliber revolver walked into a maintenance facility belonging to the company, which fuels airplanes at National, officials said. The gunman locked two Ogden employees in a room and forced a mechanic into a fuel truck, they said.

The gunman let the mechanic go after using his security card to open a security gate that restricts access to National's runways, hangars and fuel facilities, officials said.

While the mechanic ran to alert police, three Ogden employees in a van noticed the gunman driving "faster than normal" and brought the fuel truck to a stop by blocking its path, an airport spokesman said. The gunman opened fire on the men in the van, injuring two employees, he said.

The wounded men, Anthony Andrew and David Harley, were treated for leg wounds and will return to work in a few days, officials said. According to a source, Andrew was once Garland's supervisor.

After the shootings, the gunman bolted from the truck, left the secured area and caught a shuttle bus, officials said. The bus driver noticed the man's gun and jumped out of a bus window, they said. At that point, Airport Authority police officers arrested Garland, who was charged with abduction, two counts of malicious wounding and unauthorized use of a vehicle, officials said.

In a search later, several items identified as molotov cocktail firebombs were found in Garland's car in an employee parking lot, a spokesman said.

Officials said yesterday that they were mystified about what prompted the shooting spree. James L. Buchanan, regional general manager of Ogden, said the company declined to comment.

According to a source, Garland quit the company earlier this year.

According to court records, Garland placed the threatening note on Buck's car on May 7, 1989. At a hearing in January, the prosecution agreed to drop the charge on July 13 if Garland had no further contact with Buck, the records stated.

Staff writer Patricia Davis contributed to this report.