Orrel J. Mitchell, 86, a retired Interstate Commerce Commission hearing examiner and a former lawyer with the Justice Department and the Department of Health, Education and Welfare, died Aug. 15 at Suburban Hospital after a heart attack.

Mr. Mitchell, who lived in Rockville, was born in Washington. He graduated from Gonzaga College High School and Georgetown University, and he had done graduate study in mathematics at George Washington University.

Before World War II, he taught mathematics at Gonzaga and Georgetown Preparatory School, and also coached football, baseball and basketball at those schools while studying at night toward the law degree he received from Catholic University.

He served in the Navy during World War II, then opened a private law practice after the war. He joined the staff of the Justice Department in the mid-1950s.

In the postwar years until about 1960, Mr. Mitchell was also a college basketball referee and a National Football League referee.

He worked on the legal staff of the Department of Health, Education and Welfare, then served about 10 years with the ICC before retiring as a hearing examiner in 1974.

He was a member of the Knights of Columbus.

Survivors include his wife of 58 years, Catherine Boyle Mitchell of Rockville; seven children, Joan Connelly of Bethesda, Margaret Carroll of Apple Valley, Minn., Catherine Parker of Potomac, Mary Boggs of Delmar, Calif., Orrel J. Mitchell Jr. of Nashville, Michael Mitchell of Winter Park, Fla., and Thomas Mitchell of Wheaton; a brother, Joseph Mitchell of Orange Park, Fla.; 16 grandchildren; and a great-grandchild.


Jazz Singer

Claude Darden, 61, a jazz singer in the Washington area in the 1950s who was the residential manager of the Naylor Gardens apartment complex in Southeast Washington from the mid-1960s until the early 1970s, died of cancer Aug. 16 at D.C. General Hospital.

Mr. Darden, a resident of Washington, was born near Suffolk, Va. He moved here as a child, and he graduated from Armstrong High School. He was an Army veteran of the Korean War.

His marriage to Louise Darden Pope ended in divorce.

Survivors include his companion of 20 years, Lucille Ramseur of Washington; four daughters, Romaine Gaskins, Olive Primm and Claudette Franklin, all of Alexandria, and Frances Featherstone of Takoma Park; two brothers, Clyde and Charles Darden, both of Washington; a half brother, James Dennis Wheeler of Washington; nine half sisters, Helen Armstead, Doris Miles, Jean Bunch, Margie Gross, Lillian Wheeler and Charlene Wheeler, all of Washington, Linda Sprufero of Silver Spring, Sharon Wheeler of Alexandria and Paula Wheeler of Norfolk, Va.; five grandchildren; a great-grandson.



Emil M. Keen, 81, a builder and developer in Northern Virginia who was named to the Hall of Fame of the National Association of Home Builders, died of cancer Aug. 14 at Alexandria Hospital.

Mr. Keen, a resident of Alexandria, was born in Philadelphia. He graduated from Pennsylvania State University and then became a builder on Long Island, N.Y. During World War II, he served in the Army Corps of Engineers in Europe.

In 1960, he moved to the Washington area and established Keen Homes Inc. Among the projects he built in this area was Stratford-on-the-Potomac in Alexandria. He remained active in the business until his death.

Mr. Keen was a past president of the Home Builders Association of Suburban Virginia and the Home Builders Association of Virginia. He was named builder of the year for 1976 by the Northern Virginia Building Industry Association. He also was a past member of the Virginia State Housing Board and a director of the United Savings Bank.

Mr. Keen had a winter home in Palm Beach Gardens, Fla., and he was a member of the BallenIsles Country Club there.

Survivors included his wife, Estelle F. Keen, whom he married in 1940, of Alexandria.


Graphic Artist

Boris N. Goodman, 68, a graphic artist who was art director of the old Diplomat magazine from 1958 to 1964, died of respiratory arrest Aug. 11 at D.C. General Hospital. He had undergone surgery for diverticulitis.

A resident of Washington, Mr. Goodman was born in Fredericksburg, Va. He served in the Marine Corps in the Pacific in World War II and was awarded the Bronze Star and the Purple Heart.

In the early 1950s, Mr. Goodman moved to Washington. After leaving Diplomat, he worked for various studios and advertising agencies, and he was a graphic artist for Merkle Press when he retired in 1984.

Survivors include his companion, John Overbeck of Washington.


Dress Shop Owner

Harriet K. Sinclair, 81, the former owner of a dress shop on Wisconsin Avenue in Northwest Washington who was active in the PTA, died July 22 at the Kensington Gardens Nursing Home in Kensington. She had Alzheimer's disease.

Mrs. Sinclair, a former resident of Washington, was born in New York City. She moved here as a child, and she graduated from the old Business High School. From the early 1940s until about 1967, she owned the Harriet Sinclair dress shop on Wisconsin Avenue.

She was a member of the PTA at the Phoebe Hearst Elementary School in Washington and had served on the D.C. State Board of Managers of the PTA.

Her husband, Charles B. Sinclair, died in 1972.

Survivors include a daughter, Claire Sinclair Cassell of Washington; a sister, Dorothy K. Luchs of Bethesda; three grandchildren; and three great-grandchildren.


Peoples Drug Store Manager

Robert H. Creekmore, 80, retired manager of Peoples Drug Stores in Washington and Northern Virginia, died of cancer Aug. 12 at Southern Maryland Hospital Center.

Mr. Creekmore, who lived in Fort Washington, was born in Franklin County, N.C.

He moved to the Washington area and began working for Peoples Drug Stores in 1929. He retired in 1972 after managing several stores in Washington and Northern Virginia.

He was a Mason.

Survivors include his wife, Minnie Patterson Creekmore of Fort Washington; two children, Nena J. Perry of Morgan Hill, Calif., and Paula Koerner of Lanham; three sisters, Mary Keen of Baltimore, Sue Turner of Skaneateles, N.Y., and Amy McCafferty of Arlington; two brothers, Joe Creekmore of Arlington and Ned Creekmore of Falls Church; six grandchildren, and four great-grandchildren.


ICC Official

Cecelia McGrath Kaiser, 88, a retired adjudicator with the Interstate Commerce Commission, died Aug. 15 at Mount Vernon Hospital of complications after hip surgery.

Mrs. Kaiser, a resident of Alexandria, was born in Clinton, Iowa. She moved to Washington in 1928 and went to work at the ICC as a stenographer.

She received a law degree from the National University law school, now part of George Washington University, and became an adjudicator at the ICC. She was in the office of proceedings at the agency when she retired in 1965.

Mrs. Kaiser was a member of St. Louis Catholic Church in Alexandria, and had served on the executive board and been president of the PTA at the old St. Cecelia's Academy in Washington.

Survivors include her husband of 54 years, Dr. Herman F. Kaiser of Alexandria; two children, Elizabeth Lyle of San Antonio and Catherine Krebs of Alexandria; four grandchildren; and four great-grandchildren.


Personnel Specialist

Eugene A. Berlin, 75, retired chief of employment services for the Department of the Army, died of renal failure Aug. 13 at Georgetown University Hospital.

Since retiring from the Department of the Army in 1973, Mr. Berlin had been in the wholesale food distribution business, first as president of the Washington Cheese Company and then as founder and operator of the EAB Sales Company.

A resident of Washington, Mr. Berlin was born in New York City. He graduated from Brooklyn College, and received a master's degree in English from Columbia University and a law degree from George Washington University.

He moved to the Washington area in 1941 and served in the Army in Europe during World War II. After the war he became a civilian personnel specialist for the Department of the Army.

Survivors include his wife, Sylvia Berlin of Washington; two daughters, Emily Berlin Schmidt and Victoria Berlin LeFrere, both of New York; one brother, David Berlin of White Plains, N.Y.; and a granddaughter.


Photo Analyst

Nelson Lyle Spangler Sr., 63, a photo analyst at the Central Intelligence Agency from 1961 until he retired in 1986, died of cancer Aug. 15 at Holy Cross Hospital.

Mr. Spangler was a Washington native and a graduate of McKinley Technical High School. During World War II, he served in the Navy. After the war, he graduated from Central Washington College in Washington state. He was recalled to active duty during the Korean War.

He returned to this area after the war. He worked as a surveyor at the U.S. Geological Survey and later at the Army Map Service before joining the CIA.

Mr. Spangler was a member of the Amateur Softball Association and since retiring, had been a volunteer assistant coach of girls softball at Einstein High School in Kensington.

In 1983, he won a gold medal in the softball throw at the Maryland Senior Olympics.

Survivors include his wife of 39 years, Pearl Lillian Spangler of Kensington; three children, Nelson Lyle Spangler Jr. of Hyattsville, Kristen Spangler Kramer of Dunwoody, Ga., and Paul Spangler of Germantown; his mother, Bernadette Spangler of Fort Lauderdale, Fla.; a sister, Betty Lou Townsend of St. Louis; and a grandchild.


Association Executive

Arthur L. Johnson Jr., 69, a trade association official who retired in 1983 as director of conventions and meetings services for the American Bankers Association, died Aug. 14 at Suburban Hospital after a heart attack.

Mr. Johnson had worked for trade associations here for 27 years. Before joining the American Bankers Association in 1972, he had been with the Printing Industry of America and served as first executive officer of its international business forms industry section.

Concurrent with his service at the ABA, he was staff director of the International Monetary Conference, a job that involved arranging programs and logistics for banking and government financial officials.

In retirement Mr. Johnson had been a consultant to associations and corporations.

A resident of Bethesda, he was born in Evansville, Ind. He graduated from DePauw University and had done graduate work in economics at the University of Chicago. During World War II, he served in the Marine Corps in the Pacific.

Before moving to the Washington area in 1957, he was executive director of Printing Industries of Wisconsin.

He was the first chairman of the American Society of Association Executives section for Convention and Exposition Managers, and he had taught at Cornell University's School of Hotel Administration.

Survivors include his wife of 47 years, Emily E. Johnson of Bethesda; three daughters, Susan Stahr of Gaithersburg, Carol Fricke of Cleveland Heights, Ohio, and Barbara Brolin of Morganville, N.J.; and three grandchildren.


Arlington Native

Cora Schutt Devlin, 88, an Arlington native who moved to Florida in 1946, died of cardiopulmonary arrest Aug. 15 at a nursing home in Venice, Fla.

Mrs. Devlin was a clerk at the Social Security Board from 1936 until 1946. She was a member of the Daughters of the American Revolution and the Order of the Eastern Star.

Her marriage to Edgar P. Moffitt ended in divorce. Her second husband, George T. Devlin, died in 1978.

Survivors include a son from her first marriage, Wallis S. Devlin of Big Sur, Calif.; a brother, Wallis I. Schutt of Florence, Miss.; eight grandchildren; and seven great-grandchildren.