Advertising Executive

Elsa M. Dannheimer, 72, a retired vice president for advertising of the Woodward & Lothrop department store, died of cancer Aug. 16 at the Manor Care nursing home in Arlington.

Miss Dannheimer, who lived in Arlington, joined Woodward & Lothrop in 1976 as advertising manager. She later was promoted to vice president for advertising and retired in 1984.

A native of Dobbs Ferry, N.Y., she grew up in Delhi, N.Y. She graduated from the Traphagen School of Design in New York City and embarked on a career in retailing that took her all over the United States.

Miss Dannheimer worked for a department store in Wichita, Kan., and then moved to Los Angeles, where she was advertising director of the May department store. She was vice president for public relations of Higbee's department store in Cleveland before moving to the Washington area to work for Woodward & Lothrop.

Survivors include two sisters, Claire Klees of Springfield, N.J., and Emily Riddell of Marion, N.C.


Washington Post Employee

Seaborne Holmes, 63, a retired circulation supervisor at The Washington Post, died of liver ailments Aug. 15 at his home in Washington.

Mr. Holmes was born in Cuthbert, Ga. He grew up in Washington and graduated from Cardozo High School.

He began his newspaper career in the circulation department of the Washington Times-Herald newspaper. When The Post bought the Times-Herald in 1954, he came to work at The Post. He became a circulation supervisor in 1968, and he retired about 1980.

His marriage to Shirley Holmes ended in divorce.

Survivors include a son, Ransom Holmes of Washington; two brothers, The Rev. Herbert Holmes of Harvey, Ill., and Ulysses Holmes of Washington; and four sisters, Artelle Jones and Gussie Profitt, both of Washington, Katie McMiller of Westfield, N.J., and Gertrude Gary of Orange, N.J.


Civil Defense Official

Virgil L. Couch, 82, a retired director of industrial preparedness and security at the Office of Emergency Preparedness, once the federal government's civil defense agency, died of pneumonia Aug. 17 at Arlington Hospital.

Mr. Couch, a resident of Arlington, was born in Princeton, Ky. He was a graduate of the University of Kentucky.

He began his federal career in 1935 with the Agriculture Department in North Carolina. In 1945, he was transferred to Washington. He was the department's director of personnel and labor relations when he left to take a similar post with the Economic Cooperation Administration, which administered the Marshall Plan to revitalize the economy of Europe in the aftermath of World War II.

In 1951, Mr. Couch joined the Federal Civil Defense Administration, a predecessor of the Office of Emergency Preparedness. He retired in 1972.

Mr. Couch was a charter member of the University of Kentucky's Hall of Distinguished Alumni, and he was a member of the Washington chapters of the Kentucky State Society and the University of Kentucky Alumni Associaton. He also was a 32nd degree Mason and a Shriner.

His first wife, the former Martha Pence Duncan, died in 1949.

Survivors include his wife, Violet S. Couch of Arlington; a son by his first marriage, retired Army Col. John L. Couch of Midlothian, Va., and a grandchild.



Shelby Edward Southard, 76, a retired lobbyist and public affairs director at the Cooperative League of the U.S.A., an association of farm and consumer cooperatives, died of arteriosclerosis Aug. 13 at his home in Washington.

From 1967 to 1981, Mr. Southard also served on the board of trustees of the Consumer Federation of America, a nonprofit organization, and from 1976 to 1981, he was on the President's Advisory Committee on Trade Negotiations.

Mr. Southard was a native of Athens, Ala. He graduated from Birmingham-Southern College and received a master's degree in history from Vanderbilt University. During World War II, he worked in Washington as a procurement inspector at the War Department.

In 1947, he went to Chicago, where he was editor of the "Methodist Laymen" magazine and an associate secretary of the board of general lay activities with the United Methodist Church.

He later worked for two years as a magazine editor in Ohio with Nationwide Insurance before moving to Washington in 1963 to join the Cooperative League of the U.S.A. He retired in 1979.

Mr. Southard was author of a history book, "The Schism In American Methodism, 1844."

Survivors include a sister, Ethel Simmons, and a brother, Leslie Davis Southard, both of Athens.


Navy Captain

Gerard Richard Schroeder, 54, a retired Navy captain and pilot, died of cancer Aug. 14 at Martha Jefferson Hospital in Charlottesville.

Capt. Schroeder was born in Brooklyn, N.Y. and attended the State University of New York at Farmingdale.

He served 30 years in the Navy before retiring in 1988 as command center operations chief in the operations directorate at the Alternate National Military Command Center in Thurmont, Md.

Earlier assignments included duty in the Office of the Joint Chiefs of Staff and at Patuxent River Naval Air Station, Moffet Field in California and in Florida. He studied government and international relations at the Naval Postgraduate School and attended the National War College.

He moved to the Washington area as a permanent resident in 1976. On retirement, he moved from Alexandria to Nellysford, Va.

Survivors include his wife, Sue Schroeder of Nellysford; three children, Charles Schroeder of Pineland, Tex., Karen Schroeder of Alexandria and Susan Schroeder of Atlanta; and his mother, Caroline Hack Schroeder of Germany.


Logistics Officer

Milton Newman, 77, a retired logistics officer with the Naval Sea Systems Command, died of cardiac arrest Aug. 15 at Suburban Hospital.

Mr. Newman, who lived in Rockville, was born in Brooklyn, N.Y. He graduated from New York University.

He worked for the New York City Board of Water Supply before moving to the Washington area in 1942 to work for the Army Corps of Engineers. He joined the staff of what was then the Bureau of Ships in the Navy Department in 1953, and he retired from the Naval Sea Systems Command in 1978.

He was a volunteer tour guide at the Kennedy Center and a member of Toastmasters International.

Mr. Newman was an amateur potter and in retirement had done upholstery of furniture.

Survivors include his wife of 48 years, Judith Jaffe Newman of Rockville; two sons, Marc A. Newman of Manhasset Hills, N.Y., and Roger Newman of Clarendon Hills, Ill.; and four grandchildren.


Foreign Service Officer

Virginia Torosan, 75, a retired State Department Foreign Service officer, died of emphysema Aug. 15 at the Community Medical Center in Toms River, N.J.

Miss Torosan, a resident of Howell Township, N.J., was born in Omaha. She grew up in Washington, and she was a resident of Chevy Chase before moving to New Jersey about 1983. She received a law degree from Catholic University.

She joined the State Department about 1945. As a Foreign Service officer, she was a commercial attache in Japan, India, Canada and the Philippines. She also had assignments in Washington, and she retired about 1970.

Survivors include two sisters, Elizabeth T. Lewis of Howell Township and Margaret T. Guigno of Interlaken, N.J.


Child Psychologist

Sara Levy Miller, 81, a retired child psychologist who worked in the D.C. public school system and the Episcopal Center for Children, died of liver ailments Aug. 15 at a hospital in Champaign, Ill.

Mrs. Miller, who lived in Washington from 1933 to 1980, was born in St. Louis. She graduated from Harris Teachers College in St. Louis and the University of Illinois, and received a master's degree in education from the University of Minnesota.

An artist by avocation, Mrs. Miller studied art at American University, the University of Maryland and the Corcoran School of Art. She exhibited her works in the Washington area.

Beginning in the late 1950s, she was a child psychologist in the D.C. schools. She later worked at the Episcopal Center for Children and retired in the early 1970s.

In 1980, Mrs. Miller moved to Arcola, Ill.

Her husband, Morris Miller, a former chief judge of the D.C. Juvenile Court, died in 1970. Survivors include four children, Charles A. Miller of New Market, Va., and Lake Forest, Ill., Ann Monahan of Arcola, John D. Miller of Washington, and Thomas L. Miller of Tucson; a brother, Norman Levy of St. Louis; a sister, Miriam Harris of Huntly, Va.; and 10 grandchildren.


Intelligence Analyst

Robert A. Simpson, 67, a retired civilian intelligence analyst with the Army and a retired major in the Army Reserves, died of cancer Aug. 16 at his home in Annandale.

Maj. Simpson was born in Cleveland. He served in the Army in the Pacific in World War II. His wartime decorations included the Silver Star and the Soldier's Medal. He retired from the reserves as a major in 1976.

As a civilian, Maj. Simpson went to work for the Army as an intelligence official in 1949. Most of his career was spent in West Germany and Austria, but he had some assignments in this country. He retired in 1978 and settled in Annandale.

Survivors include his wife of 45 years, Barbara Simpson of Annandale.


Silver Spring Resident

Lydia Littman, 78, a Silver Spring resident who had lived in the Washington area since 1933, died of cancer Aug. 16 at Sibley Memorial Hospital.

Mrs. Littman was born in what is now Warsaw. She immigrated to the United States at the age of 2 and lived in New York before moving to the Washington area.

She attended Juilliard School of Music and graduated from the school of music at New York University.

Survivors include her husband of 50 years, Herman M. Littman of Silver Spring; a son, Leonard B. Littman of Washington Township, N.J.; two grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren.


VA Secretary

Grace M. Buxton, 92, a retired clerk-secretary at the Veterans Administration, died of heart ailments Aug. 16 at the Washington Home.

She began working at the VA shortly after World War I and retired in 1955. Miss Buxton, who lived in Washington, was born in Gaithersburg.

She leaves no immediate survivors.