Kenneth W. Clark, 91, who was a public relations director of the Motion Picture Association of America for 50 years before retiring in 1986, died of a heart ailment Aug. 17 at the Hospice of Northern Virginia.

Mr. Clark, who lived in Alexandria, was born in DeKalb, Ill. He joined the United Press newspaper syndicate as a reporter after graduating from the University of Illinois in 1921.

Two years later, he came to Washington. He then joined the International News Service, covering stories from the Senate and the White House.

In 1929, he went to Europe to work as a Hearst bureau chief. He returned to Washington in 1931 and worked for Hearst's Universal syndicate until joining the Motion Picture Association in 1936.

A Navy veteran of World War I, Mr. Clark served as a public information officer in Gen. Mark Clark's Fifth Army in Italy during World War II.

During the Korean War, he spent a year as a public relations official with the Economic Stabilization Administration.

He was a member of the National Press Club and Sigma Delta Chi, the professional journalism society.

His marriage to the former Houri Murphy ended in divorce.

His survivors include his wife, the former Violet Dupont, whom he married in 1945, of Alexandria; three sons by his second marriage, Kevin, of Albany, N.Y., Robin, of Berkeley, Calif., and Jonathan, of Vienna; and four grandchildren.


Automotive Columnist

Robert F. Wright, 50, a syndicated automotive columnist who wrote under the the name Rob St. Francis, died of an aneurysm Aug. 14 at Holy Cross Hospital. He lived in Silver Spring.

Mr. Wright's columns, "Behind The Wheel" and "U Auto Know," were syndicated in 58 papers nationwide and appeared locally in the Journal Newspapers. In the late 1980s, he was a founding member of the Washington Automotive Press Association.

Mr. Wright was a Washington native and graduate of Bethesda-Chevy Chase High School. He attended the University of Montevallo in Alabama.

He began his newspaper career as a reporter at the Delmarva News in Selbyville, Del., in 1961. He worked as a reporter at the Salisbury Times and the Annapolis Capital before joining the Baltimore Sun about 1965.

He went to work for the Washington Star in 1967 as editor of its "Action Line" consumer advocacy column. He later began writing articles for the paper's "Wheels" automotive section. He left shortly before the paper closed in 1981. In 1983, he established the Rob St. Francis Syndicate for his automotive articles.

His marriage to Susan Klein Wright ended in divorce.

Survivors include his companion, Vinetta G. King of Silver Spring; two children by his marriage, Daniel Martin Wright of Annapolis, and Jennifer Nicole Wright of Sunnyvale, Calif.; and two brothers, Gayle Nicholas Wright of Potomac, and Talbert Martin Wright of Philadelphia.



Fred Cooper Sacks, 77, a Washington lawyer and a past president of the Progress Club, died of a heart attack Aug. 16 at a hotel in Paris, where he was vacationing.

Mr. Sacks, a resident of Silver Spring, was born in Camden, N.J. He attended Dickinson School of Law and received his law degree from Rutgers University.

He was a real estate developer in New Jersey before moving to the Washington area in 1957.

He established a general law practice and continued it until his death.

Mr. Sacks was a member of the American and Maryland bar associations. He had a winter residence in Hallandale, Fla., where he was a past president of the B'nai B'rith chapter.

Survivors include his wife of 58 years, Reba L. Sacks of Silver Spring and Hallandale; two children, Joel D. Sacks of Tempe, Ariz., and Sylvia M. Gear of Rockville; a brother, Milton Sacks of Laguna Hills, Calif.; and three grandchildren.


Area Resident Since 1906

Alta C. Mallorey, 88, an area resident since 1906 who had been active in church and Masonic groups, died Aug. 17 in Annandale at the Sleepy Hollow Manor nursing home.

She had Alzheimer's disease.

Mrs. Mallorey, who was born in Nebraska, lived in Washington before entering the nursing home in 1985.

She was a graduate of Eastern High School.

For many years, she had been a member of Metropolitan Memorial United Methodist Church and active in church women's organization's. At the time of her death, she was a member of Wesley United Methodist Church in Washington.

Mrs. Mallorey was a past queen of the Daughters of the Nile of Samla Temple in Washington. She also had been a member of the Order of the Eastern Star and the Daughters of the American Revolution.

Her husband, Walter B. Mallorey, died in 1985. Her survivors include a son, Donald L. Mallorey of Kensington; a daughter, Janet M. Crupper of Springfield; four grandchildren; and three great-grand-children.


Manufacturer's Representative

Thomas Edward Wallace, 83, a retired manufacturer's representative in Washington, died of cardiac arrest Aug. 16 at Suburban Hospital in Bethesda.

Mr. Wallace, a resident of Chevy Chase, was born in Denver. He graduated from the University of Colorado and moved to Washington in 1930.

He was a procurement officer at the Treasury Department until 1938, when he founded T.E. Wallace & Co. The firm acted as Washington representative of various companies in such fields as pharmaceuticals, steel and technology, and Mr. Wallace was the head of it until he retired in 1976.

As part of this work, he also was the Washington vice president of the Gestetner Corp., manufacturers of copying equipment, from the mid-1960s until his retirement.

Mr. Wallace was a member of the Congressional Country Club, the Jefferson Island Democratic Club on the Eastern Shore of Maryland, and the parish of Blessed Sacrament Catholic Church in Chevy Chase.

His wife, Mary B. Wallace, died this past January.

Survivors include two children, Robert B. Wallace of Alexandria and Elizabeth W. Redmond of Bethesda; a brother, Dr. Joseph J. Wallace of Bethesda; and three grandchildren.


Special Olympian

Tracey E. Thomas, 20, a Fort Washington resident and a participant in the Special Olympics, died of cardiac arrest Aug. 14 at St. Francis Hospital in Columbus, Ga.

Miss Thomas had been retarded since birth, and she had related disabilities that contributed to her illness. She was born in Columbus, where she lived until moving to the Washington area in 1981. She was visiting her father when she was stricken.

She was a student at the Hillcrest Heights Special Center in Temple Hills, which is part of the Prince George's County public school system. She took part in the Special Olympics through Hillcrest and was a blue-ribbon winner in a walking event.

Miss Thomas was a member of St. Colomba's Catholic Church in Fort Washington.

Survivors include her mother and stepfather, Jacqueline Ryles-Harris and Irving W. Harris III of Fort Washington; her father and stepmother, Henry H. Thomas IV and Hazel Thomas of Columbus; and four half brothers, Myles, Rashad and Taj Harris, all of Fort Washington, and Henry H. Thomas V of Columbus.