J. Leo Lynch, 72, a retired vice president for personnel of the National Bank of Washington who was active in area civic and volunteer groups, died of a heart ailment Aug. 20 at Sibley Memorial Hospital. He lived in Washington.
He began his banking career in 1936 as a runner with the old Hamilton Bank. That bank later merged into NBW, where Mr. Lynch rose through the ranks to become assistant vice president and head of personnel. He was promoted to vice president in 1958 and retired in 1970. After retiring from NBW, he was a liquidator with the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation until retiring a second time in 1981.
Mr. Lynch was a past vice chairman of the D.C. Unemployment Compensation Board and had headed the old District Commissioners Committee for the Employment of the Physically Handicapped, and the President's Committee on the Employment of the Handicapped. He also was a past president of the Metropolitan Police Boys' and Girls' Club.
Mr. Lynch, who was a native of Washington, was a graduate of St. John's College High School and had served as President of the Men of St. John's. He was an officer in the Army's 83rd Infantry division in World War II, winning a Silver Star and a Bronze Star.
He had been active in veterans' and national guard affairs. He was a past finance officer of the Washington chapter of AMVETS and served as state chairman of the Washington Committee for Employer Support of the Guard and Reserves. In 1985, he was named an honorary colonel in the D.C. Army National Guard and an award was named in his honor by the D.C. Air National Guard.
Mr. Lynch attended St. Matthew's Cathedral and was a past grand knight of the Rosensteel Council of the Knights of Columbus. He was a past president of the Washington Sertoma Club and had served as a governor of Sertoma International, a service group.
His marriage to the former Elsa Larsen ended in divorce.
Survivors include two sons, John, of Ellsworth, Maine, and Dan, of Glen Head, N.Y.; a sister, Mary G. Gude of Hyattsville; and four grandchildren.
HENRIETTA W. HOLLAENDER
Henrietta W. Hollaender, 93, an art patron and former teacher, died of cardiopulmonary arrest Aug. 14 at the Meridian nursing home in Severna Park, Md.
Mrs. Hollaender was born in St. Louis. She graduated from Washington University and received a master's degree in education at Columbia University. She first moved to Washington in 1940.
She taught at Sidwell Friends School until 1942, when she moved to Oak Ridge, Tenn., where her husband, Alexander Hollaender, was a founder of the nuclear laboratory. She returned to Washington in the early 1970s.
Mrs. Hollaender assembled an art collection over the years, and her pictures are now on display at the Elvehjem Gallery at the University of Wisconsin.
Her husband died in 1986. She leaves no immediate survivors.