Dr. Lawrence John Edwards, 67, an official of the Defense Intelligence Agency and an authority on Soviet military and rocket technology, died of a stroke Aug. 22 at Georgetown University Hospital.

Dr. Edwards was chairman of the department of intelligence analysis at the agency's Defense Intelligence School, and he devised the training curriculum for the U.S. officials who inspect Soviet missile capabilities under the intermediate-range nuclear forces treaty. He also held several government patents in the field of rocketry.

A resident of Camp Springs, Dr. Edwards was born in Waukegan, Ill. He graduated from the University of Illinois, where he also received a master's degree in chemistry, and he received doctorates in chemistry and physics at the University of Michigan. During World War II, he served in the Army.

From 1949 until 1953, he taught at North Dakota State University and the University of North Dakota. He was chairman of the chemistry department at the latter when he joined the Callery Chemical Co. in Mars, Pa. He was associate director of research and development there.

In 1966, he went to work for the Air Force as chief scientist and technical director at the Rocket Propulsion Laboratory at Edwards Air Force Base in California.

In 1971, Dr. Lawrence moved to the Washington area as head of the scientific and technical department at the Naval Scientific and Technical Intelligence Center. In 1976 he transferred to the Defense Intelligence Agency, and in 1977 he joined the faculty of the Defense Intelligence College.

Dr. Lawrence received the Defense Department's Distinguished Civilian Service Award.

He was a member of the American Chemical Society and the American Physical Society. He also was a Mason, an elder of the Camp Springs United Presbyterian Church and a volunteer with the Boy Scouts.

Survivors include his wife, Mary Stark Edwards, whom he married in 1950, of Camp Springs; two children, Sandra E. Jost of Enola, Pa., and James John Edwards of Germantown, Md.; two sisters, Margaret Miller of Gravette, Ark., and Elsie Christianson of Quinault, Wash.; a brother, Richard Edwards of Lakewood, Colo., and three grandchildren.


Senate Aide

Winifrede Beall DeWeese, 82, a retired administrative assistant on the staff of the Senate Republican Policy Committee, died Aug. 21 at Fairfax Hospital. She had Alzheimer's disease.

Mrs. DeWeese, a resident of Fairfax, was born in Washington. She graduated from the old Central High School and George Washington University.

She began her career on Capitol Hill in the mid-1930s working for various Senate committees, and she was on the staff of the Senate Republican Policy Committee for 20 years before retiring about 1970. For 10 years until the mid-1980s, she lived in Bethany Beach, Del.

Her husband, Joseph DeWeese, died about 1981.

Survivors include a brother, Stewart Hall Beall of Alexandria.


DAR Regent

Mae Kane Hincke, 87, a former regent of the Army and Navy chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution, died of emphysema Aug. 21 at her home in Bethesda.

Mrs. Hincke was born in Chicago, and she received an associate's degree at Lindenwood College in St. Charles, Mo. In 1925 she married John I. Hincke, an Army officer who retired as a colonel. She accompanied him on assignments to the Philippines and Iran as well as to various posts in Hawaii and elsewhere in the United States. They settled in the Washington area in 1955.

A son, retired Army Col. John I. Hincke Jr., died in 1981.

In addition to her husband, of Bethesda, Mrs. Hincke's survivors include two children, Catherine Sells of Arlington and Caroline Hincke of Colorado Springs, Colo.; six grandchildren, and three great-grandchildren.


Home Improvement Contractor

Gary Charles O'Neal, 43, a home improvement contractor in Alexandria for 20 years, died Aug. 19 at a hospital in Winchester, Va., as a result of injuries he received in a traffic accident.

Virginia State Police said Mr. O'Neal, a resident of Alexandria, was driving north on Route 340 in Berryville Aug. 18 when he was struck head-on by a car that had veered to avoid hitting a vehicle that was turning into a driveway.

A native of Sacramento, Calif., Mr. O'Neal moved to the Washington area in 1961. He attended American University.

He was a member of the World Wildlife Federation, Greenpeace, the Sierra Club and the Washington Woodworkers Guild.

Survivors include his wife, Jenny Inez O'Neal of Vienna; two daughters, Carmen Renee O'Neal of Alexandria and Caitlyn Rose O'Neal of Vienna; his mother, Frances Walker O'Neal of Falls Church; his father, Nolan Charles O'Neal of Wilmington, N.C.; and a sister, Sharon O'Neal of Santa Fe, N.M.


Former Area Resident

Marie Starr Rauterberg, 95, who lived in the Washington area from 1976 until April 1990 when she moved to Red Bank, N.J., died at her home there Aug. 20. She had cancer and emphysema.

During her years here, she had lived at the Carl Vinson Hall in McLean. Mrs. Rauterberg, who was born in Philadelphia, had moved here from New Jersey.

She was the widow of Carl Rauterberg, a retired Army colonel who died in 1970, whom she had accompanied to assignments in this country and Okinawa.

Mrs. Rauterberg's daughter died in 1970. Her survivors include four grandchildren and five great-grandchildren.


Shoe Salesman

Edward F. Grinspoon, 80, a retired salesman for Hahn Shoes in Silver Spring and Columbia, died of a heart ailment Aug. 22 at Howard County General Hospital.

Mr. Grinspoon, who lived in Tamarac, Fla., had been in Bethesda since May for medical treatment.

A native of Boston, Mr. Grinspoon owned and operated a shoe store in the Boston area before coming here in 1967 to work for Hahn Shoes. He retired in 1980 and moved to Florida.

His wife, Dorothy M. Grinspoon, died in 1989.

Survivors include two sons, Leslie N. Grinspoon of Bethesda and Alan M. Grinspoon of Columbia, and five grandchildren.