James Allen Scott, 92, a retired research grants official at the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases of the National Institutes of Health, died of kidney failure Aug. 18 at his home in Bethesda.

Dr. Scott was an authority on helminthology, which is the study of diseases caused by parasitic worms. From 1929 to 1936 he did work in this field in Egypt under the auspices of the Rockefeller Foundation, and from 1937 to 1940 he did research in Venezuela.

He joined NIH in 1962. He was chief of parasitology and medical entomology in the extramural programs at the allergy and infectious diseases institute, and he also was a member of the NIH graduate research training grants committee. He retired in 1972.

Dr. Scott was born in Binghamton, N.Y. He graduated from Wesleyan University in Middletown, Conn., and received a doctorate from the Johns Hopkins University School of Hygiene and Public Health.

After he returned from Venezuela, Dr. Scott worked for various universities and the Census Bureau until 1944, when he joined the University of Texas medical school in Galveston. He remained there until joining NIH.

Dr. Scott was a member of the councils of the American Society of Parasitology and the American Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene, and he was a member of the American Association for the Advancement of Science, the Tropical Medicine Society of Washington, the American Public Health Association and the Helminthological Society of Washington.

His wife, Sarah Holcomb "Sally" Scott, died in 1985.

Survivors include a daughter, Lois Scott Dean of Falls Church; four grandchildren; and eight great-grandchildren.


Church Secretary

Mary Jeanette Monaco Humphreys, 63, a secretary in the parish office of St. Mary's Catholic Church in Landover Hills for the past 23 years, died of cancer Aug. 19 at the home of a cousin in New Carrollton.

A resident of Landover Hills, Mrs. Humphrey was staying in New Carrollton because of her illness.

She was born in Washington and graduated from Notre Dame High School. During World War II, she was a volunteer at the United Service Organization in Washington.

In addition to her work as a secretary at St. Mary's, Mrs. Humphreys was a member of the Sodality and other church organizations, and she was named "Mother of the Year" for 1990 by the Holy Name Society. She was particularly noted for her volunteer work in connection with running the church's Burgundy Room, which is rented out for weddings, dances and various community events.

Her husband, John Humphreys, died in 1973.

Survivors include six children, Tom Humphreys of Ellicott City, Joe Humphreys of Forestville, Jerry and Tim Humphries, both of Laurel, and Bernadette and Patricia Humphreys, both of Landover Hills; two sisters, Mary Ellen Connolly of Fairfax Station and Angelina Robb of Crofton; two brothers, Mike Monaco of Waldorf and Jim Monaco of Bowie; and seven grandchildren.


Air Force Lieutenant Colonel

John J. Costello, 74, a retired Air Force lieutenant colonel who became manager of the meetings office at the National Academy of Sciences, died of a heart ailment Aug. 21 at Fairfax Hospital.

Col. Costello, who lived in Washington and West Palm Beach, Fla., was a native of Chicago. He entered the Army in 1941. During World War II, he served in the Army Air Forces in the Pacifc.

He left active duty in 1946 and was recalled two years later by the Air Force. He served in Japan as an intelligence officer and in South Korea during the war there. His later assignments included duty as a staff officer in West Germany. His last assignment was as an intelligence officer at the Pentagon.

He retired from active duty in 1967. His military decorations included the Legion of Merit.

He then went to work at the National Academy of Sciences and retired a second time in 1982.

Col. Costello was a member of the 1925 F Street Club, the Army & Navy Club and DACOR (Diplomatic and Consular Officers Retired).

Survivors include his wife, Lorraine J. Costello of Washington and West Palm Beach; two brothers, William J. Costello of St. Charles, Ill., and Thomas J. Costello of Long Beach, Ind.; and three sisters, Eileen Sorensen of Gary, Ind., Kathleen Izzo of Wollaston, Mass., and Bernadette McGlave of Phoenix.


Air Force Colonel

William P. Kennedy Jr., 83, a retired Air Force colonel and supply manager at the Defense Logistics Agency in Alexandria, died of a heart ailment Aug. 22 at Mount Vernon Hospital.

Col. Kennedy, who lived in Mount Vernon, was a native of Alabama. He entered the Army Air Corps in 1939. He spent most of his military career in maintenance, supply and procurement.

His military assignments included duty in Fairbanks, Alaska, and in Korea during the late 1950s. He last post was with the 26th Air Division in Syracuse, N.Y. He retired from active duty in 1963.

He then went to work at the Defense Department's Defense Logistics Agency. He retired a second time in 1974.

Col. Kennedy was a vestryman at St. Aidan's Episcopal Church in Alexandria. He had been a volunteer with Meals on Wheels and the United Community Ministries.

Survivors include his wife of 50 years, Eleanor U. Kennedy of Mount Vernon; two sons, William P. Kennedy III of West Germany and James Matthew Kennedy of Charlottesville; a daughter, Whiddon K. Stephens of Salem, Ore; a brother, Neil F. Kennedy of Miami; and four grandchildren.


Hospital Corpsman

George D. Van Etten, 67, a retired chief hospital corpsman in the Navy who became an assistant hospital administrator at the Soldiers' and Airmen's Home in Washington, died of emphysema Aug. 22 at his home in Silver Spring.

Mr. Van Etten was born in Hudson, N.Y. He went into the Navy in World War II and served in the Pacific. He also was a veteran of the Korean and Vietnam wars. He was stationed at Bethesda Naval Medical Center when he retired in 1968.

He then went to work at the Soldiers' and Airmen's Home. He retired there in 1983. He was a salesman for the Banner insurance company at the time of his death.

Mr. Van Etten was a member of the Veterans of Foreign Wars and the Fleet Reserve Association.

His marriage to Marguerite Van Etten ended in divorce.

Survivors include his wife, Kyung Van Etten of Silver Spring; two children by his first marriage, Karen Burdette of Mount Airy and Janel Schwartz of New York City; three stepchildren, Angela Larsen of Boise, Idaho, Anita Thompson of Beltsville and Anthony Hahm of Los Angeles; and six grandchildren.


Alexandria Police Officer

Paul B. Smith, 76, a retired detective sergeant with the Alexandria Police Department who later became a General District Court magistrate in Alexandria, died of a heart ailment Aug. 22 at his home in Alexandria.

Mr. Smith, who was born in Tennessee, came to the Washington area in 1934. He worked for the Mount Vernon Floral Co. until 1941, when he joined the Alexandria police. He retired in 1971.

He then became a magistrate with the 18th Judicial District. He retired a second time in June.

Mr. Smith was a life member of the Virginia Magistrates Association and a member of the Andrew Jackson Masonic Lodge in Alexandria, the Alexandria Elks Club, the Alexandria Sportsmen's Club, the Old Dominion Boat Club and the Alexandria Retired Police Officers Association.

Survivors include his wife of 49 years, Bernice Jenkins Smith of Alexandria, and a sister, Frances Highsmith of Arlington.


Church and Club Member

Frances Fauntleroy Phillips, 84, a member of Falls Church Episcopal Church, the Daughters of the American Revolution and the Daughters of the Confederacy, died of congestive heart failure Aug. 16 at Fairfax Nursing Center. She lived in Falls Church.

The child of an Army engineering officer, Mrs. Phillips was born in the Philippines and grew up at Army installations and later engineering sites in the Southwest.

She came to this area in the mid-1920s and graduated from George Washington University. She worked as a secretary at the Treasury Department from 1928 until 1938.

Her husband, Alexander K. Phillips Jr., died in 1987.

Survivors include two children, Frances Phillips Hoffman of McLean and Alexander K. Phillips of Oakton, and four grandchildren.


Washington Resident

Hannah H. Stokes, 87, a resident of Washington for most of her life, died Aug. 22 at Georgetown University Hospital, where she had undergone surgery for cancer.

Mrs. Stokes was born in Cleveland. She moved to Washington as a child. She graduated from Central High School and George Washington University.

Her husband, Thomas Stokes, died in 1958.

Survivors include a son, Thomas L. Stokes of Washington, and two sisters, Harriet Hatfield of Arlington and Hope White of St. Petersburg, Fla.