The obituary of Craig A. Davison on Monday misidentified his son. He is Scott S. Davison of Washington. (Published 9/1/90)

Willard Leon Beaulac, 91, an American career diplomat for more than 40 years who had served as ambassador to five Latin American nations, died Aug. 25 at his home in Washington. He had Alzheimer's disease.

Mr. Beaulac joined the State Department in 1921 and held consular posts in Central America for about the next 10 years. He was counselor and deputy chief of mission in Spain during part of World War II. At the State Department, he had served as head of the Latin American division for a time.

His first ambassadorial assignment was to Paraguay in 1944. Three years later, he was named ambassador to Colombia. From 1951 to 1953, he was ambassador to Cuba. He then spent three years as ambassador to Chile. He was the U.S. ambassador in Argentina from 1956 to 1960. His last assignment, before retiring in the early 1960s, was as deputy commandant for foreign affairs of the National War College.

In his 1951 book, "Career Ambassador," which was published by Macmillan Publishing Co., he wrote about his early years with the State Department. Rather than striped pants, his uniform during these early tours was often khaki pants, an open-necked khaki shirt, and "a holster and automatic pistol."

He wrote of riding a mule into Mexican bandit country to check on American oil company employees being held for ransom. He also told of walking through streets in Honduras while a civil war firefight raged around him to meet an American destroyer he had summoned, and of having an earthquake drop the American Legation building in Nicaragua literally around his head.

Mr. Beaulac, who was a native of Rhode Island, came here in 1918. He attended Brown University before serving in the Navy during World War I. After the war, he enrolled in Georgetown University's new Foreign Service School. In 1921, he graduated in its first class, and because the diplomas were handed out in alphabetical order, he was the first person to receive one from the new school.

He joined State upon graduation and was assigned to a consular post in Tampico, Mexico. He later held consular posts in Haiti, Chile, Honduras and Nicaragua. He also served as consul general in Cuba.

After retiring from State, he served until the late 1960s on the faculties of Southern Illinois and Ball State universities. He taught political science and lectured on Latin American affairs.

In addition to "Career Ambassador," he was the author of "A Diplomat Looks at Aid to Latin America," "A Career Diplomat," "The Fractured Continent" and "Franco: Silent Ally in World War II." He also had contributed articles to publications ranging from The Washington Post to the Proceedings of the U.S. Naval Institute.

Mr. Beaulac was a member of Annunciation Catholic Church in Washington, the Metropolitan Club of Washington, the Fort McNair Golf Club and DACOR (Diplomatic and Consular Officers Retired).

Survivors include his wife of 55 years, Catherine "Caroll" Beaulac of Washington; a son, Willard Jr., of Naples, N.Y.; three daughters, Noel Peters of Bowie, Joan Zachor of Lexington, Mass., and Nancy Beaulac-Bonneau of Fort Worth; and 13 grandchildren.


Heating and Air-Conditioning Contractor

Wallace "Wally" Hartsook Sr., 67, a retired Falls Church heating and air-conditioning contractor who had been a leader in youth organizations, died of cancer Aug. 25 at his home in Falls Church.

Mr. Hartsook was a self-employed contractor in Falls Church from 1946 until he entered semi-retirement about six years ago.

He was a founder of Boys Club football in Falls Church and had been active in Little League baseball, as a coach and umpire, for more than 25 years. His hobbies included hunting and fishing.

Mr. Hartsook, who came here in 1946, was a native of Lynchburg. He served with the Navy in the Pacific during World War II. He had attended Lynchburg College and George Washington University.

He was a member of Providence Baptist Church in Falls Church.

Survivors include his wife of 44 years, Frankye Jo Hartsook of Falls Church; three sons, Woody, of Bluemont, Va., Daniel, of Leesburg, and John, of Phoenix; two daughters, Carol Ismer of Manassas, and Susan Gregory of Centreville; and six grandchildren.


Southern Railway Employee

Frank B. Perry Jr., 87, a retired Southern Railway employee who was active in church groups, died Aug. 24 at his home in Alexandria. He had liver and kidney ailments.

A labor relations employee, Mr. Perry worked for Southern from the early 1920s until retiring in 1968. During World War II, he helped route troop and supply trains.

He was a charter member of Downtown Baptist Church in Alexandria. He served as a church deacon, trustee and historian.

Mr. Perry, who came to the Washington area in the early 1920s, was a native of Orange, Va., and attended Richmond College. As a young man, he played with dance bands and at silent movies. In more recent years, he played the viola and violin with area classical groups.

Survivors include his wife of 59 years, the former Susan Risheill, of Alexandria; a son, Frank III, of Annandale; two sisters, Loula Laramore of Seattle and Julia Pattie of Alexandria; two granddaughters; and two great-grandchildren.


Longtime Area Resident

Mary K. Paravati, 92, a longtime area resident who was a member of St. Camillus Catholic Church in Silver Spring, died of a heart ailment Aug. 25 at Montgomery General Hospital. She lived in Silver Spring.

Mrs. Paravati, who was born in Italy, came to this country and Washington when she was 3 years old. She worked as a bookkeeper with Western Union here in the early 1920s.

Her husband, Felix, died in 1969. Her survivors include two daughters, Catherine Groshon and Louise Elmendorf, both of Silver Spring; a brother, Edward Cinotti of Chillum; five grandchildren; and six great-grandchildren.


Office Manager

Amelia A. Helz, 71, a retired office manager who had attended Christ Lutheran Church in Bethesda, died of cancer Aug. 24 at her home in Bethesda.

Mrs. Helz, who was a native of Auburn, N.Y., came here in 1945. For the next four years, she was an administrative aide to Rep. John Taber (R-N.Y.). She was an assistant to the president of the old State National Bank of Maryland in the early 1970s, and an office manager with International Service Agencies of Bethesda in the late 1970s.

Her first marriage, to Philip L. O'Connell, ended in divorce.

Survivors include her husband, Martin W. Helz of Bethesda; a son by her first marriage, Daniel W. O'Connell of Silver Spring; a brother, Louis Aveduti of Tennessee; and a granddaughter.


Washington Native

John Mitchell Sheaffer, 66, a Washington native and a graduate of Eastern High School, died of sepsis July 31 at University of Maryland Hospital. He lived in Tall Timbers, Md.

Mr. Sheaffer served in the Navy during World War II. After the war, he settled in St. Mary's County and operated a general store in Tall Timbers from 1950 until he retired in 1978.

Survivors include his wife, Grace M. Sheaffer of Tall Timbers; his mother, Lillian A. Sheaffer and a sister, Norma Capado, both of Piney Point, Md.



Craig Alexander Davison, 45, the owner of the Lee-High Auto Body Shop in Fairfax and the Awning and Sign Center in Woodbridge, died of cancer Aug. 25 at the Hospice of Northern Virginia in Arlington.

Mr. Davison, a resident of Annandale, was born in Chicago. He served in the Army from 1968 to 1974. He spent part of that time in South Korea, and was stationed at the Pentagon when he left the service. He graduated from American University and also obtained a master's degree in computer science there.

He worked for the GEICO insurance company from 1974 to 1976, and for MCI Telecommunications from 1976 to 1982. He then started his own businesses, and he continued them until his death.

Mr. Davison was a member of the Brandywine Motor Sports Club in Wilmington, Del.

His marriages to Gail Richards and Barbara Keebler ended in divorce.

Survivors include a son by his first marriage, Craig O. Davison of Washington; his parents, Craig O. Davison and Nancy S. Davison of Wilmington, and two sisters, Barbara D. Spang of Chapel Hill, N.C., and Deborah D. Talley of Wilmington.