Morley Callaghan, 87, a critically acclaimed Canadian novelist and short-story writer who may be best-remembered by some for a 1929 boxing match he had in Paris with Ernest Hemingway, died Aug. 25 in Toronto. The cause of death was not reported.

His first novel, "Strange Fugitive," the saga of a bootlegger, was published by Scribner in 1928. His last novel, "The Wild Old Man," appeared in 1988. In addition to about a dozen other works, he wrote more than 100 short stories that appeared in such magazines as The New Yorker, Esquire and the Saturday Evening Post.

The great American critic Edmund Wilson wrote in "O Canada" that Mr. Callaghan was "the most unjustly neglected novelist in the English-speaking world." He attributed this to what he saw as the comparative cultural isolation of Canada and to the fact that most his novels ended "in annihilating violence, or more often, in blank unfulfilment."

Another critic, writing in the Canadian Forum, called "Morley Callaghan's Stories," a 1959 collection of his short stories, "one of the few major achievements of Canadian prose, more powerful than any single Callaghan novel and more worthy of enduring than any single work of his better publicized peers: {Sherwood} Anderson, Hemingway, and {F. Scott} Fitzgerald."

In 1929, Mr. Callaghan, Hemingway and Fitzgerald were all living in Paris and were by all accounts good friends. Hemingway boisterously challenged Mr. Callaghan to a boxing match at a clean, well-lighted place, the American Club. Though several inches shorter than Hemingway, Mr. Callaghan was younger, so he decided to chance the match.

As Mr. Callaghan related in his 1963 book, "That Summer in Paris: Memories of Tangled Friendships with Hemingway, Fitzgerald, and Some Others," Hemingway's favored timekeeper (painter Joan Miro) was not able to make the bout. This became the crucial event of the fight, when the less expert Fitzgerald was drafted to replace him.

According to Mr. Callaghan, the two gladiators agreed on one-minute rounds punctuated with two-minute breaks. As the match began, Hemingway bore in like a macho windmill, winding down at an unfortunately rapid rate. Fitzgerald, who became engrossed in Hemingway's attack and Mr. Callaghan's desperate if not skilled counter-punching, completely forgot the time.

When Fitzgerald did rouse himself to ring the bell, four minutes had elapsed and Hemingway had just received a monumental smash to the jaw. He was knocked to the floor and bloodied.

The bell had tolled not only for Hemingway but for the three friends as well. Hemingway, who was a better writer than loser, supposedly believed that Mr. Callaghan and Fitzgerald had been in league against him. The other two hotly denied the allegation. Fitzgerald and Mr. Callaghan then also fell out.

The fight and the subsequent grudge took on mythic proportion. It has been refought as few others have. If ignored by the professional ring fraternity, critics say each of the three wrote of the event in thinly veiled episodes of novels, and literary critics and historians have not ignored the event.

Before the fight, Mr. Callaghan had been praised to the heavens by Hemingway. The two were not only fellow novelists and short-story writers but fellow journalists. Hemingway had even sold the legendary Scribner's editor Maxwell Perkins on Mr. Callaghan's work. Mr. Callaghan, who was to publish three novels before he was 30 years old, was also quickly published by Ezra Pound, Ford Madox Ford and Harold Ross.

But after a year, Mr. Callaghan left Paris. He farmed for a while in New York and Pennsylvania before returning to his native Canada. Over the years, he garnered several Canadian literary prizes, but never became a best-selling writer in this country as many expected.

His other novels included "They Shall Inherit the Earth," a 1935 novel about an average family fighting the Depression, "More Joy in Heaven," a 1937 book on the difficult lot of a reformed convict, and "A Many Colored Coat" (1960), "A Passion in Rome" (1961) and "A Fine and Private Place" (1975). He also wrote several short-story collections, novelettes and his memoires.

Morley Edward Callaghan was born in Toronto on Sept. 22, 1903. He was a 1925 graduate of the University of Toronto and a 1928 graduate of Canada's Osgoode Hall Law School. He was a reporter for Toronto newspapers in Canada and Europe during the 1920s. He served with the Royal Canadian Navy in World War II.

His survivors include two sons.


FSO and Smithsonian Official

LeRoy Makepeace, 75, a retired State Department Foreign Service officer and retired Smithsonian Insitution official, died at a hospital on Martha's Vineyard after an asthma attack.

Mr. Makepeace, who had maintained a home here since 1962, lived in Washington. He was stricken while vacationing.

He served with the State Department, much of the time on the Indian subcontinent, from 1942 until retiring in 1973. He then joined the Smithsonian, where he was an international activities officer and adviser on south Asia to S. Dillon Ripley. He retired a second time in 1983.

Mr. Makepeace was a native of Waterbury, Conn., and a graduate of Yale University. He received a master's degree in American history from the University of California at Berkeley and another master's in history from Harvard University.

His early State Department posts included an assignment with the U.S. Embassy in New Delhi and duty in Berlin. He was second secretary in the political section in the New Delhi embassy from 1957 to 1961. Later assignments included the posts of consul in Peshawar, Pakistan, and U.S. representative to the Central Treaty Organization. He also served as deputy consul general in Madras, India, before retiring.

Mr. Makepeace was the author of the book, "Sherman Thatcher and His School," published in 1941 by the Yale University Press. He was a member of DACOR (Diplomatic and Consular Officers Retired) and the Literary Society of Washington.

Surviors include his wife of 36 years, the former Lindsay Harper, of Washington; two sons, Peter H., of San Francisco, and Timothy S., of Washington; a daughter, Anne-Lindsay Makepeace of New York City; a brother, John V., of Waterbury; and two sisters, Melicent P. Makepeace of Woodbury, Conn., and Evelyn Cochrane of Darien, Conn.


Lawyer and Investments Adviser

Robert W. Bogue, 75, a lawyer and investments adviser, died of cancer Aug. 26 at his home in Chevy Chase.

Mr. Bogue was born in Centerville, S.D., and graduated from the University of Wisconsin. He received a law degree from Duke University and had done postgraduate legal study as a Sterling Fellow at Yale Law School.

In 1939 he moved to the Washington area, and before World War II he worked in various legal capacities for the Southern Railway, the Civil Aeronautics Board and the Office of Price Administration. During the war he served in the Navy and was assigned to the map room at the White House for most of that period.

After the war, Mr. Bogue practiced law with the firms of Alvord & Alvord and later Lee, Toomey & Kent, specializing in federal tax matters. He joined the investments advisory firm of J.W. Redmond & Co. in 1962 and had continued to work there as an investments adviser until his death.

He had served on the board of the Columbia Hospital for Women. He was a member of the Metropolitan, Chevy Chase and Burning Tree clubs.

Survivors include his wife of 48 years, Eleanor Hawley Bogue of Chevy Chase; two sons, Robert W. Bogue Jr. of Baltimore and Richard A. Bogue of Chevy Chase; and four grandchildren.



Ronald F. Schoenadel, 54, the president of Schoenadel, Marginot & Co., a Springfield accounting firm, died of pulmonary fibrosis Aug. 26 at Fairfax Hospital. He lived in Fairfax.

Mr. Schoenadel was a past board member and finance committee chairman of Fairfax Hospital, and a past board chairman of the American Diabetes Association's Washington region.

A native of Cumberland, Md., Mr. Schoenadel came to the Washington area in 1952. He received a bachelor's degree and a master's degree in accounting from Strayer Business College. He worked here as an independent accountant from the mid-1950s until 1970, when he established what is now Schoenadel, Marginot & Co.

Mr. Schoenadel had done volunteer financial work at the Alexandria Community Health Center. He was a member of St. Bernadette's Catholic Church in Springfield, the Springfield Noon Rotary Club, the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants and the Virginia Society of Certified Public Accountants.

Survivors include his wife of 34 years, Natalie C. Schoenadel of Fairfax; four children, James A. Schoenadel of Springfield and Carmel Schoenadel, Robert F. Schoenadel and Linda Stewart, all of Alexandria; and his parents, Francis and Carmel Schoenadel of La Vale, Md.


Government Lawyer

Winifred Ruth Ryan Brown, 69, a retired government lawyer who was an oblate of St. Anselm's Benedictine Abbey in Washington, died of cancer Aug. 26 at Georgetown University Hospital. She lived in Bethesda.

From 1941 to 1949, she was a lawyer with the State Department. She worked in the office of general counsel of the Civil Aeronautics Board from 1958 to 1962, and again in the late 1970s. She was an independent counsel with the Justice Department from 1986 to 1988.

Mrs. Brown was a native of Connecticut. She was a graduate of Smith College, where she also received a master's degree in English, and of Yale University law school.

She clerked for a U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals judge in New York, where she also had practiced law before moving here in the 1940s.

Mrs. Brown had done volunteer work with hospice groups and with the Legal Counsel for the Elderly.

In 1949, she married Emerson M. Brown, and over the years she accompanied him on Foreign Service assignments to Europe, Canada and India.

In addition to her husband, of Bethesda, her survivors include two sons, David, of Annapolis, and Christopher Gerard Brown of Bethesda; a daughter, Catherine Winifred Brown of Washington; a brother, Cyril J. Ryan of Madison, Conn.; and two grandchildren.


NSA Cryptanalyst

Temple Rice Hollcroft, 70, a retired cryptanalyst with the National Security Agency who had lived in the Washington area since 1938, died of cancer Aug. 25 at his home in Silver Spring.

Mr. Hollcroft, who was born in Lexington, Ky., attended Harvard University and served in the Navy during World War II. After the war, he joined a predecessor agency of the NSA. He retired from the agency in 1984.

He was a Mason and a member of Christ Congregational Church in Silver Spring. His hobbies included playing bridge.

Survivors include his wife, Joanne, of Silver Spring; four daughters, Gale Hollcroft of Hilliard, Fla., Sara Grossman of Laurel, Susan Oser of Columbus, Ga., and Pamela Hollcroft of Silver Spring; and five grandchildren.


Hadassah Member

Anna Bordenick, 93, a member of Hadassah and other Jewish organizations, died of pneumonia Aug. 26 at Sibley Memorial Hospital.

Mrs. Bordenick, who lived in Washington, was born in Russia. She immigrated to the United States when she was 20 and settled in the Washington area.

She was a member of Mizrachi Women's Organization, the Hebrew Sheltering Society, the Hebrew Academy and the Hebrew Aid Circle, and had been a vice president of the Auxiliary of Beth Sholom Congregation in Washington. In 1976 she was its "Woman of the Year."

For several years she had cooked Passover dinners for Jewish patients at St. Elizabeths Hospital.

Her husband, Louis Bordenick, died in 1976. Survivors include two daughters, Sylvia Greenbaum of Potomac and Esther Gartenhaus of Fort Lauderdale, Fla.; six grandsons; and eight great-grandchildren.


NIH Grants Administrator

Anna B. Edelin, 77, a retired grants administrator at the National Institutes of Health, died Aug. 27 at Shady Grove Adventist Hospital after a stroke.

Mrs. Edelin, who lived in Potomac, was born in Washington. She attended Business High School.

She worked at NIH from 1965 until retiring in 1980. Earlier she had been a saleswoman at the Woodward & Lothrop store at Wheaton Plaza and a bookbinder at the Government Printing Office.

She had been a member of the Sodality at St. Catherine LaBoure Catholic Church in Wheaton and had done volunteer work for the Sisters of the Poor in Washington.

Survivors include her husband of 49 years, Carl Edelin Sr. of Potomac; three children, Carl Edelin Jr. of Brookeville, Barbara Fisher of Mount Airy, Md., and Patricia Wright of New Windsor, Md.; and eight grandchildren.