Religious Sect Leader

Vajra Regent Osel Tendzin, 47, who was the first Westerner to lead an international Tibetan Buddhist sect and who later was stripped of his duties after contracting AIDS, died Aug. 25 at a hospital in San Francisco.

In 1976, he was designated his spiritual mentor's successor as leader of Vajradhatu, a Dharmadatu Buddhist community based in Boulder, Colo. In 1988, he disclosed he had AIDS. The revelation divided the 3,500-member sect. The church's board wrested leadership from him last year after he refused to step down. He went into more than a year of meditation and seclusion, a traditional Buddhist practice.

Born Thomas Rich, he was raised in Passaic, N.J. After dropping out of Fordham University, he met the Venerable Chogyam Trungpa in 1971 and became the Tibetan Buddhist leader's top student. Trungpa gave him the name Osel Tendzin, or "radiant holder of the teachings." When Trungpa named Mr. Tendzin as his successor, it was the first time a Westerner had achieved such a position in Tibetan Buddhism.


Union Leader

Stella Mae Roberts, 67, a longtime reporter with the Associated Press and the first woman to be national secretary-treasurer of the Wire Service Guild, died Aug. 25 in Oklahoma City. The cause of death was not reported.

She joined the AP in Oklahoma City in 1945 and worked there 31 years, much of that time in the Capitol bureau. After retiring in 1976, she became public information director of the Oklahoma Employment Security Commission.

In 1964, she was elected secretary-treasurer of Wire Service Guild, Local 222 of The Newspaper Guild, representing 2,300 employees of the AP and United Press International. She held the position two years.


Angolan Writer and Politician

Mario Pinto de Andrade, 62, an Angolan writer and politician who helped lead a guerrilla war against Portuguese colonial rule, died Aug. 26 in London. The cause of death was not reported.

He became the first president of the Popular Movement for the Liberation of Angola in 1960, just before the Marxist group launched a 15-year battle. In 1974, he split with the Popular Movement, a year before it came to power with Angola's independence.

Recently, he had worked with other veterans of the Popular Movement trying to mediate the long civil war between the Popular Movement government and rebels of the U.S.-backed UNITA, or National Union for the Total Independence of Angola.


London Architect

Max Gordon, 59, an archtiect who became internationally known for his design of exhibition spaces in museums, galleries and homes, died Aug. 24 in London. The cause of death was not reported.

Between 1956 and 1981, he worked for architectural firms in London and New York. Among his best-known projects was New Scotland Yard, for which he was architect from 1962 to 1966. Since 1981, he had designed exhibition spaces and homes for collections in Chicago, New York, London, Los Angeles, Madrid, Athens and Helsinki.