Wilbur B. Payne, 63, a retired official of the Department of the Army, where he was an authority on operations research, which is the application of mathematical techniques to management problems, died of cancer Aug. 17 at Providence Memorial Hospital in El Paso.

Dr. Payne was the first person to hold the position of deputy under-secretary of the Army for operations research. He began his career in military management with the Operations Research Office of Johns Hopkins University in Washington in 1955. From 1957 to 1960, he taught physics at Virginia Tech. After that, he worked in Washington until 1975.

He then became director of systems analysis for the Army's Training and Doctrine Command in El Paso. He was director of operations research from 1982 to 1986, and was the head of a special project concerning forward air defense when he retired from the government in 1987.

Dr. Payne received six awards of the Army's Exceptional Civilian Service Medal. He also received the Defense Department's Distinguished Civilian Service Medal and the Presidential Rank Award of Meritorious Service. He was a distinguished fellow of the Military Operations Research Society.

Dr. Payne was born in Pittsburgh. He served in the Army in Europe during World War II. He graduated from Tulane University and went to Louisiana State University, where he received master's and doctoral degrees in physics.

He then moved to the Washington area and went to work for the Johns Hopkins Operations Research Office. He left Virginia Tech in 1960 to work for the Research Analysis Corp. on projects for the Army.

In 1962, Dr. Payne joined the staff of Alain Enthoven, assistant secretary of defense for operations analysis. In 1964, he transferred to the Department of the Army as special assistant to the secretary of the Army for operations research.

In 1968, he became deputy under secretary of the Army for operations research. He continued in that post until 1975, when he joined the Training and Doctrine Command in El Paso. He lived in Potomac during his years in this area.

Survivors include his wife, Mary Farley Payne of El Paso; two children, Wilbur B. Payne IV of El Paso and Mary Kathryn Irvin of Palm Beach, Fla.; and two grandsons.


Alexandria Teacher

Ernestine L. "Bucky" Allport, 80, a retired teacher and guidance counselor in the Alexandria public school system, died of cancer Aug. 27 at Rockingham Memorial Hospital in Harrisonburg, Va.

Mrs. Allport, a former resident of Alexandria, was born in McGaheysville, Va. She graduated from what is now James Madison University.

She moved to Alexandria in 1930 and became a teacher. She began at Lee Elementary School. She spent most of her career at George Washington High School and George Washington Junior High, and she was a guidance counselor at T.C. Williams High when she retired in 1974.

Mrs. Allport moved to Harrisonburg in 1987. In Alexandria, she was a member of Washington Street United Methodist Church, the Carlyle Women's Club and the ladies auxiliary of Alexandria Hospital.

Her husband, Henry B. Allport, died in 1964.

Survivors include three children, Henry Braxton Allport Jr. of Hampton, Va., Edgar L. Allport of Frankenmuth, Mich., and Sarah A. Robertson of Springfield; four sisters, Mildred Shelton of Augusta, Maine, Eunice Mauzy of Tulsa, Edwena Greene of Milford, Del., and Laura Murphy of McGaheysville; and five grandchildren.



Abby L. Brown, 89, who had been a board member at George Washington University Hospital and a volunteer at the Florence Crittenton Home in Washington, died Aug. 27 at the Bethesda Retirement and Nursing Center in Chevy Chase after a stroke.

Mrs. Brown, who had lived at the Bethesda Retirement and Nursing Center since March, was a native of Missouri. She came to Washington in 1920 and graduated from George Washington University.

During the mid-1920s, she worked at Woodward & Lothrop as editor of its employee magazine. In the late 1930s, she was a Girl Scout troop leader in Washington.

Survivors include her husband of 65 years, Francis W. Brown of Washington; two children, Lois Oakes of Woodbine, Md., and George N. Brown of Reading, Pa.; eight grandchildren; and nine great-grandchildren.


Army Clerk

George Charlie Monts, 76, a retired civilian finance clerk with the Department of the Army in Washington who later worked as a salesman for Sears Roebuck & Co. at White Oaks Mall, died of a heart ailment Aug. 22 at his home in College Park.

Mr. Monts was a native of South Carolina. During World War II, he served as an Army infrantryman in North Africa. His military decorations included the Purple Heart.

He was a claims clerk for the Veterans Administration in Richmond and Philadelphia before coming to this area in 1953 as a clerk with the Department of the Army. He retired about 1972 and went to work for Sears. He left that job for health reasons in 1978.

Mr. Monts was a member of College Park United Methodist Church and Birmingham Masonic Lodge No. 188 in Beltsville. He was a volunteer at Presidential Woods nursing home in Adelphi and Great Oaks Center in Silver Spring.

Survivors include his wife, Virginia B. Monts of College Park; two children, Charles L. Monts of Oakton and Mary Elizabeth Monts of Harrisonburg, Va.; two sisters, Mary Hendrix of Lexington, S.C., and Olive Newman of Columbia, Mo.; and three grandchildren.


Capitol Hill Aide

E. Louise Waterfield, 95, who worked on Capitol Hill from the mid-1920s until 1960 when she retired and moved to Florida, died of cardiac arrest Aug. 22 at a nursing home in Clearwater, Fla.

Mrs. Waterfield was a native of Ohio. She came to Washington about 1926. She and her husband, Edward J. Waterfield, joined the staff of Rep. James Begg (R-Ohio). They later worked on the staff of Rep. Chester Castle Bolton (R-Ohio). After Bolton's death in 1939, they were on the staff of Bolton's wife, Rep. Frances P. Bolton (R-Ohio), who succeeded her husband in office.

Mr. Waterfield died in 1981. Mrs. Waterfield leaves no immediate survivors.


Navy Wife

Mildred Dunlap "Micky" Laning, 79, the wife of a retired Navy rear admiral and a longtime area resident, died Aug. 26 at Arlington Hospital from complications after heart surgery.

Mrs. Laning, who had lived in Falls Church since 1965, was a native of Los Angeles. She drove in car races and danced in West Coast productions of Broadway musicals before she married Caleb Barrett Laning, a naval officer, in 1935.

Over the years, she accompanied him on his military assignments here and abroad, and was at Pearl Harbor during the Japanese attack on Dec. 7, 1941. Adm. Laning retired in 1965 and the couple settled in the Washington area.

Her marriage to Eddie Robinson ended in divorce.

In addition to her husband, of Falls Church, survivors include two daughters by her second marriage, Judith Laning of Falls Church and Jillian Giornelli of Atlanta; eight grandchildren; and a great-grandchild.


Assistant Office Manager

James C. Jones Sr., 61, a retired assistant office manager at the Covington & Burling law firm in Washington, died of cardiopulmonary arrest Aug. 25 at Prince George's Hospital Center.

Mr. Jones, who lived in Seat Pleasant, was born in New York City and grew up in Newport News, Va. From 1954 to 1956, he served in the Army as a paratrooper. He graduated from Hampton Institute and attended Howard University law school.

In 1961, he came to the Washington area and worked at the Army Navy Country Club as a waiter and bartender while attending law school. About 1965, he began at Covington & Burling as a night security guard. He retired in July.

Survivors include his wife, Eva H. Jones of Seat Pleasant; three children, Delphine Anita Dennis of Washington, James C. Jones Jr. of Seat Pleasant and Michael E. Jones of Philadelphia; two sisters, Evelyn Underwood of Jamaica, N.Y., and Orissa Greenidge of Brooklyn, N.Y.; and a grandchild.