Francis R. Routt, 75, a retired photographer for the Washington Star and a past executive board member of the White House News Photographers Association, died of congestive heart failure Aug. 27 at a hospital in Vero Beach, Fla.

Mr. Routt, who lived in Fort Pierce, Fla., was born in Washington. During World War II, he served in the Army.

He joined the Star in 1934 as a copy boy. Over the years as a photographer, he took pictures for nearly every section of the newspaper. In 1963, his photograph of John F. Kennedy Jr. saluting President Kennedy's horse-drawn casket was bought by Life magazine and used on its cover the week after the president's funeral. The photograph is on permanent display at the Library of Congress.

Mr. Routt retired in 1977 and moved to Florida from Rockville in 1981.

His first wife, Rita Routt, died in 1973.

Survivors include his wife of 12 years, Buela "Dolly" Routt of Fort Pierce; four children from his first marriage, Robert F. Routt of Fairfax, John J. Routt of Olney, Frances Routt of Gaithersburg and Jeannie Roman of Monrovia, Md.; two stepdaughters, Alta Davis of Charleston, W.Va., and Alyson Rafter of Charlottesville; two brothers, Randolph Routt of Silver Spring and H. Roy Routt of Fort Pierce; 19 grandchildren; and three great-grandchildren.


School Employee

Mary-Elizabeth H. "Betty" Simmons, 74, a retired secretary with the Montgomery County public school system who was active in Presbyterian Church affairs, died of a stroke Aug. 28 at Shady Grove Adventist Hospital in Rockville.

Mrs. Simmons, a resident of Rockville, was born in Needham, Mass. She moved to the Washington area in 1945.

In 1952, she went to work for the Montgomery County school system. She was cafeteria manager at Highland Elementary School and then secretary at Rock Creek Palisades Elementary School. She was secretary to the school system's director of finance when she retired in 1978.

As a church member, Mrs. Simmons served on the Session Records Committee of the National Capital Presbytery. She was a member of Geneva Presbyterian Church in Rockville, where she had been a clerk of session, elder, deacon, president of the Women of the Church and board member of the Geneva Nursery School. She was a former member of Wheaton Presbyterian Church. Survivors include her husband, retired Navy Cmdr. Morton A. Simmons of Rockville; a son, Morton A. Simmons Jr. of San Diego; a sister, Cynthia L. Hubbell of Needham; and two brothers, Robert B. Hubbell of Wellesley, Mass., and Richard F. Hubbell of Uncasville, Conn.


Marine Wife

Gwenn Ann Fischer, 57, the wife of a retired colonel in the Marine Corps and a resident of the Washington area since 1982, died of cancer Aug. 27 at Walter Reed Army Medical Center.

Mrs. Fischer, a resident of Fairfax, was born in Sydney, and she attended the Presbyterian Ladies College there.

She came to the United States in 1955 and was the secretary to the Australian military attache in Washington. In 1956, she married Robert L. Fischer, a Marine Corps officer who retired as a colonel. She accompanied him on assignments to Hawaii and elsewhere in the United States and also to Japan. They returned here in 1982.

In addition to Col. Fischer, of Fairfax, survivors include four daughters, Kimberly Grace and Kristy and Kathy Fischer, all of Fairfax, and Kerrie Spike of Denver, and a sister, Joy McDermott, and a brother, Paul B. Wilson, both of Sydney.


Philippine Diplomat

Mario Crisostomo Belisario, 65, a diplomat of the Philippines who served as deputy chief of mission at the Philippine Embassy here from 1973 to 1981, died Aug. 27 at George Washington University Hospital after a stroke.

Mr. Belisario was born in Manila. He graduated from the University of the Philippines and received a law degree at the Philippines College of Law. He earned a doctorate in law at the University of Madrid. He was a Carnegie Fellow at Columbia University.

Before his service in Washington, he was special assistant to the Philippine delegate to the United Nations, Carlos Romulo, in New York and later charge d'affairs in the Philippine Embassy in Madrid. He served concurrently as the Philippine ambassador to Romania and Hungary from 1981 to 1986.

From 1986 to 1989, Mr. Belisario was director general of the Philippine consular affairs in Manila. In 1989 he was appointed the Philippines consul general in Chicago. He retired in June of this year and moved to Washington.

Survivors include his wife, the former Ruby Angeles of Washington; his mother, Maria Socorro of Davao, the Philippines; and two sisters, Angelina Aldana of South Carolina and Socorro Oreta of Manila.


Electrical Engineer

John Everett Abel, 77, a retired electrical engineer at the Naval Research Laboratory, died Aug. 27 at Arlington Hospital. He had cancer and emphysema.

Mr. Abel, who lived in Arlington, was a native of Baltimore. He came to the Washington area about 1933 and went to work at the Naval Research Laboratory in 1940. He retired in 1974.

He had been a ham radio operator since his teens. In the 1950s and 1960s, he was scoutmaster of Troop 111 in Arlington. He was a recipient of the Boy Scouts' Silver Beaver Award.

Mr. Abel was a member of St. James Catholic Church in Falls Church and the Edward Douglas White Council of the Knights of Columbus.

Survivors include his wife of 49 years, Alice Abel of Arlington, and a son, Lawrence Abel of Oakland.


GSA Accountant

Stanley J. Gorski, 80, a retired accountant with the General Services Administration, died of cancer Aug. 28 at the Washington Home Hospice.

Mr. Gorski, a resident of District Heights, was born in Lewiston, Maine. He moved to Washington in 1928.

He went to work at the Treasury Department when he came here. He also went to Southeastern University, where he earned bachelor's and master's degrees in business and accounting. He served in the Army in the China-Burma-India theater in World War II.

From the Treasury, Mr. Gorski went to work at the old Public Buildings Administration. After the war he transferred to its successor agency, the GSA. At the time of his retirement in 1965, he was comptroller of GSA operations in Region 3, which includes the District of Columbia, Virginia, West Virginia, Maryland, Delaware and Pennsylvania.

Survivors include his wife, Kitty Gorski of District Heights; three daughters, Kathleen Michael of Alexandria, Maureen Lombardo of Annapolis and Mary Gorski-Gage of Nellysford, Va.; two sisters, Cecelia Gorski of Chicopee, Mass., and and Helen Nadroski of Easthampton, Mass.; and seven grandchildren.



Gladys Elaine Mathieson Franklin, 67, a retired elementary school teacher with the Prince George's County schools, died Aug. 29 at Anne Arundel General Hospital after a heart attack.

Mrs. Franklin, who lived in Shady Side, Md., was a Washington native and a graduate of Anacostia High School. She attended the University of Maryland.

She began teaching in Prince George's County in 1957. Over the years she taught in Accokeek and Camp Springs and was a special education teacher at Douglas Elementary School in Upper Marlboro when she retired in 1979.

She was a member of Centenary United Methodist Church in Shady Side.

Survivors include her husband of 49 years, Bernard S. Franklin Sr. of Shady Side; four children, Ethel Irene Schlager of Waldorf, Bernardine Elaine Phelps of Clinton, Bernard S. Franklin Jr. of Shady Side and Gary David Franklin of Midlothian, Md.; nine grandchildren; and a great-grandchild.


C&P Operator

Fay Krug, 79, a retired chief operator with Chesapeake & Potomac Telephone Co., died of cancer Aug. 29 at Fairfax Nursing Center.

Mrs. Krug, who lived in Annandale, was born in Oklahoma and came to the Washington area about 1919. She grew up in Arlington and graduated from Western High School in Washington.

In 1928, she joined C&P as a telephone operator in Washington. Over the years she worked as an operator and later as a supervisor at several C&P offices in the Washington area. She retired in 1977.

She was a member of the Alexander Graham Bell Chapter of the Telephone Pioneers of America.

Her husband, Frank J. Krug, died in 1980. Survivors include a sister, Ella Mae Bennett of Fairfax.


Army Wife

Blanche Parker Morris, 94, a member of the Daughters of the American Revolution and the widow of an Army officer, died of cancer Aug. 30 at the Army Distaff Hall in Washington.

Mrs. Morris was born in Midway, Ky., and attended the University of Kentucky. She first came to Washington in 1917 and worked for the old Bureau of Veterans Affairs.

In 1919, she married James M. Morris, an Army officer who retired as a colonel. She accompanied him to Hawaii and to various posts in the continental United States and also to West Germany, where he was a judge in the war crimes trial concerning the Buchenwald concentration camp.

Col. Morris died in 1961. Mrs. Morris returned here in 1962 and settled in the Army Distaff Hall. She also had a residence in Melrose, Fla. She was a volunteer at Mount Vernon and Woodlawn Plantation and in the annual George Washington "birthnight" ball in Alexandria, and she was a member of the Washington chapter of the Kentucky State Society.

Survivors include three sons, all of whom are retired Army lieutenant colonels: James M. Morris Jr. of Columbus, Ga., Jack W. Morris of Crofton, Md., and Robert P. Morris of Tallahassee, Fla.; seven grandchildren; and three great-grandchildren.