John K. Frost, 68, an authority in the early detection of cancer who was the director of the division of cytopathology at Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions from 1959 until 1989, died of cancer Aug. 29 at Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore.

A researcher, diagnostician and educator, Dr. Frost worked primarily in the field of cytopathology, which deals with the disease-induced changes in cells. Since 1959, he had directed the Postgraduate Institute for Pathologists in Clinical Cytopathology at Johns Hopkins.

In 1980, he publicly opposed the American Cancer Society's recommendation against using annual X-ray screening for lung cancer in male cigarette smokers over 40 years of age and other high-risk patients. The preliminary findings from studies at Hopkins showed that chest X-rays lead to earlier detection of cancers. Today, chest X-rays and other tests proposed by his studies are widely used.

Although he had stepped down as director of the division of cytopathology last year, Dr. Frost continued to work there as a researcher and diagnostician until last month.

In 1979, the International Academy of Cytology in Munich gave Dr. Frost its Goldblatt Award. He also was the recipient of the Papanicolau meritorious achievement award from the American Society of Cytology.

Dr. Frost, who lived in Brooklandville, Md., was a native of South Dakota. He graduated from the University of California at Berkeley and the University of California School of Medicine in San Fransisco.

He served in the Army Medical Corps from 1948 to 1953 and attained the rank of lieutenant colonel. His military assignments included duty in Korea during the war there.

He came to Johns Hopkins School of Medicine in 1956 as an assistant professor of obstetrics and gynecology. He became founding director of the division of cytopathology three years later. In the late 1950s, he established and directed the division of cytopathology at the University of Maryland medical school in Baltimore.

Dr. Frost had been a consultant to the World Health Organization and the U.S. Public Health Service. He was president of the American Society of Cytology from 1964 to 1965.

Survivors include his wife of 41 years, Moira Anne Frost of Brooklandville; seven children, Moira A. Tamburello of Warrington, Pa., Dr. Rosanne G. Frost of Mantua, N.J., Noreen A. Frost of Towson, Md., Therese A. Kohler of Phoenix, Sheila A. Davis of Charlottesville, John K. Frost Jr. of Charleston, S.C., and James K. Frost of Brooklandville; a sister, Ann C. Bowes of Walnut Creek, Calif.; and five grandchildren.


Army Sergeant

James L. Hufford, 66, a retired Army master sergeant who went on to work as an adviser with the Agency for International Development and later as a logistics specialist for the Westinghouse Electric Corp., died Aug. 30 at his home in Columbia. He had diabetes and cirrhosis of the liver.

Mr. Hufford was a native of Pennsylvania. During World War II, he served in the Army tank corps in North Africa and Europe. His later duties included intelligence assignments in Korea during the war there and at the White House during the Eisenhower Administration. His last assignment was at Fort Ritchie, Md.

He retired from active duty in 1963. His military decorations included the Bronze Star and the Purple Heart.

Mr. Hufford joined the Agency for International Development in 1966 and served as an adviser in South Vietnam until 1970. He then retired a second time and moved to Kansas. In 1977, he settled in the Washington area when he joined Westinghouse in Columbia. He retired a third time in 1987.

Mr. Hufford was a Mason and a member of the Veterans of Foreign Wars.

His marriage to Eileen Sheppard ended in divorce.

Survivors include his wife of 22 years, Verda Ames Hufford of Columbia; a son from his first marriage, J. Michael Hufford of Fairfax, Calif.; two stepchildren, Air Force Col. Ralph B. Praeger of Ogden, Utah, and Johnette Curtis of Dodge City, Kan.; a brother, Reed Hufford of Bonham, Tex.; and four grandchildren.


Military Bishop

The Most Rev. Lawrence J. Kenney, 60, auxiliary bishop of the Catholic Archdiocese for the Military Services, died of lung cancer and emphysema Aug. 30 at the cardinal's residence in New York City.

Bishop Kenney had lived in Washington since 1985, when the Archdiocese for the Military Services was created. It had previously been in New York, where it had functioned as the Military Vicariate under the archbishop of New York.

The military archdiocese is responsible for the pastoral care of 1.5 million Catholics and their dependents in the Armed Forces and in Department of Veterans Affairs hospitals and for U.S. government employees living abroad.

Bishop Kenney, who was hospitalized in New York in June, was born in New Rochelle, N.Y. He attended Cathedral College in New York City and St. Joseph's Seminary in Yonkers. He received a master's degree in education from Iona College in New Rochelle.

He was named auxiliary bishop to the military vicar in 1983 when the vicariate was located in New York. Earlier he had been secretary to Cardinal Terence Cooke when Cooke was archbishop of New York. He also had been director of priest personnel and vice chancellor of the archdiocese of New York and a parish priest in New York.

Survivors include a brother, George Kenney of New Rochelle, and two sisters, Madeline Kenney of New Rochelle and Sister Rose Kenney of Newburgh, N.Y.


Anatomy Professor

Ernest N. Albert, 53, a professor of anatomy at George Washington University Medical Center who also had served as interim chairman of the department, died Aug. 23 at Presbyterian Hospital in Pittsburgh of complications after a liver transplant. A resident of Chevy Chase, he was in Pittsburgh for treatment.

Dr. Albert, a neurobiologist, was a specialist in the study of the effects of electromagnetic radiation on developing nervous systems. He had served on the faculty of the GWU Medical Center since 1968 and had been acting chairman of the anatomy department in 1975, 1976, 1978 and 1986.

He was born in Pakistan and immigrated to the United States at the age of 18.

He settled in High Point, N.C. and graduated from High Point College there. He received a doctorate in anatomy from Georgetown University. Before joining the faculty at GWU Medical Center, he was a postdoctoral research investigator at the University of California at Los Angeles.

Dr. Albert had served on the research and medical admissions committee of the GWU Medical Center and was a member of the Alpha Omega Alpha Medical Honor Society of the District of Columbia.

His marriage to Eleanor Albert ended in divorce.

Survivors include five children, Marjorie Albert of McLean, Michael Albert of Los Angeles, Stephanie and Michelle Albert, both of Chevy Chase, and Susie Miller of Herndon; and two grandchildren.



Alice P. Letzler, 78, an Arlington resident since 1937 and a volunteer with school and community groups, died of cancer Aug. 25 at Arlington Hospital.

Mrs. Letzler served from 1962 to 1972 as a board member of the Virginia State PTA and in the early 1960s as chairman of the Arlington School Board's Advisory Council. She was membership chairman of the Arlington Committee of 100 and a volunteer with the Arlington Recreation Department, where her service included work as an assistant coordinator of the biannual Northern Virginia Folk Festival.

During the 1950s, she taught homebound students in Arlington and helped write "The Arlington Story," a history book for seventh-graders. In 1962, the Arlington Education Association gave her its School Bell award.

Mrs. Letzler was a native of Brooklyn, N.Y., and a graduate of Hunter College. She came to Washington in 1936 and worked for the Civil Service Commission and later the Social Security Board until 1943.

She was a volunteer with the Arlington Symphony and a founding member of the Arlingtonians for a Better County and the Opera Theatre of Northern Virginia.

Her husband, Alfred Letzler, died in 1982.

Survivors include two children, Susan Letzler Cole of New Haven, Conn., and Kenneth Letzler of McLean; a brother, Dr. William Parson of Garberville, Calif.; and two grandchildren.



Ella Louise Craig, 70, who died in an Aug. 15 fire at her home in Washington, was a photographer who had worked for the National Aeronautics and Space Administration, Walter Reed Army Hospital and the National Geographic Society. D.C. fire officials said the fire had apparently been caused by careless smoking.

Miss Craig was born in Limon, Colo. She was an artist and photographer on the West Coast before joining the Women's Army Corps as a photographer in 1945. She spent the years immediately after World War II as a medical photographer in Europe with the WACs, then in the 1950s moved to Washington, where she worked as a medical photographer at Walter Reed Army Hospital.

From 1962 until 1970, she was a NASA photographer assigned at the space agency's Ames Research Center in California.

She returned to Washington in 1970, worked briefly as a photographer at the National Geographic Society, then became a freelance photographer and consultant until retiring in the early 1980s.

Miss Craig was a former secretary of the Association of Federal Photographers.

Survivors include two sisters, Theresa Puett of Topeka, Kan., and Charlotte Donovan of Vallejo, Calif.; and a brother, Charles Knapp of Kansas City, Kan.


Association Official

Norman D. Burch, 63, assistant director of the Washington office of the College of American Pathologists, died of leukemia Aug. 31 at Sibley Memorial Hospital.

Mr. Burch, a resident of Bethesda, was born in Washington. He graduated from McKinley Technical High School and Georgetown University. During World War II, he served with the Marine Corps in the Pacific.

He began his career with the National Retail Merchants Association. He was assistant director of the National Nursing Home Association before joining the College of American Pathologists 18 years ago.

Mr. Burch was a member of the Kenwood Golf & Country Club, where he played golf, and the Golf Collectors Society of America and the British Golf Collectors Society.

Survivors include his wife, Vera Burch, whom he married in 1945, of Bethesda; four children, David Burch of Olney, Christopher Burch of Vienna, Kenneth Burch of Maui, Hawaii, and Amelia Burch of Silver Spring; a brother, Francis Burch of San Francisco; two sisters, Catherine Schekels of Waldorf, Md., and Teresa Torrance of Colonial Beach, Va.; and five grandchildren.


French and Spanish Teacher

Vincent W. Byas, 74, a former French and Spanish teacher at Howard University and other colleges, died of cardiac arrest Aug. 28 at George Washington University Hospital.

Mr. Byas was born in Muskogee, Okla. He moved to Washington in 1933 and worked as a messenger at the Department of the Interior while earning a bachelor's degree and a master's degree in French at Howard University.

He taught at Howard and at Livingstone College in North Carolina before joining the Army in 1943. He served in Europe during World War II, then after the war taught at Wilberforce University and Central State College in Ohio and did postgraduate study in Brussels and Paris.

In 1958 Mr. Byas returned to Washington and served on the Howard faculty until 1965. He taught at San Jose State University in California from 1965 until retiring in 1980.

Mr. Byas had written poetry and short stories and articles for scholarly journals.

In April of this year he returned to Washington from Monterey, Calif.

Survivors include a brother, Walter J. Byas of Washington.


IBM Executive

George W. Stevens, 53, a senior marketing representive for IBM, died Aug. 27 at his home in Washington of progressive multifocal leukoemcephalopathy, a condition involving lesions on the brain.

Mr. Stevens, who also lived in Rehoboth Beach, Del., was born in Belmont, Mass. He graduated from Northeastern University and served in the Army Corps of Engineers at Fort Belvoir in the early 1960s.

He joined IBM in Washington in July of 1961 and held several positions in systems engineering, development and marketing. He was assigned in Boston from 1968 to 1976, then returned to Washington. For most of his career he was assigned in IBM's national federal marketing division, specializing in Department of Defense agencies.

He was an accomplished cook, a member of the Washington Ballet Society and a fund-raiser for the Whitman Walker Clinic.

Survivors include his companion of 15 years, Alexander J.D. Greeley Jr. of Washington, and his mother, Hermine Stevens, and a brother, David Stevens, both of Yarmouth, Maine.


Republican Researcher

William M. Waugh, 74, retired research director for the National Republican Congressional Committee who had served as Republican Party chairman in Fairfax in the mid-1960s, died of cancer Aug. 29 at Arlington Hospital.

Mr. Waugh, who lived in McLean, was born in Chicago. He graduated from Yale University and moved to the Washington area during World War II to work as a civilian war recruiter for the Civil Service Commission.

From 1946 to 1955 he worked for Army Times publications, writing a civil service column and editing a monthly home magazine. In 1956 he was administrative assistant to Rep. Sam Coon (R-Ore.). He joined the staff of the National Republican Congressional Committee in 1956 and was named research director in 1961. He retired in 1975.

Mr. Waugh was a former member of the Fairfax County Water Authority.

He was a stamp collector and specialized in stamps of France and its colonies and early American issues.

There are no immediate survivors.



Jacqueline Stinson Delano, 60, a volunteer with the Navy Relief Society and a member of the Sulgrave Club, died of cancer Aug. 30 at Sibley Memorial Hospital.

Mrs. Delano, a resident of Bethesda, was born in Bridgeport, Conn. She grew up in Santa Fe, N.M., and she attended Wells College in Aurora, N.Y.

In 1951, she married Victor Delano, a Navy officer who was stationed at that time at Los Alamos, N.M. In later years she accompanied him to various naval stations in the United States, and they settled in the Washington area in 1968.

In addition to her husband, now a retired Navy captain, of Bethesda, Mrs. Delano's survivors include two children, Katherine Delano Jahnig of Coral Gables, Fla., and Harvey Delano II of Santa Fe; a brother, Edward A. Stinson, and a sister, Barbara Erwin, both of Hemet, Calif.; and a granddaughter.