Ronald L. Jackson, 62, the presidential food service coordinator in the White House, died of cancer Aug. 31 at Walter Reed Army Medical Center.

Mr. Jackson joined the White House staff in 1965 when he was a food service officer in the Navy. In 1969, when his duties were placed under the civil service, he retired from the Navy so that he could continue work as a civilian.

As food coordinator he was responsible for running the White House staff mess and for food service at Camp David and aboard Air Force One.

He recently received a certificate of retirement signed by five of the six presidents whom he served at the White House: Nixon, Ford, Carter, Reagan and Bush. White House officials said they believe the document is unique.

A native of Norco, Calif., Mr. Jackson enlisted in the Navy in 1945.

He was commissioned in 1957 and rose to the rank of lieutenant commander.

He served at various posts in the United States and in Antarctica before being stationed at the White House.

On his retirement from the Navy he was awarded the Legion of Merit. He recently received the Defense Department's Meritorious Civilian Service Award.

Mr. Jackson lived in Potomac, and he was a member of Seven Locks Baptist Church in Rockville.

Survivors include his wife, JoAnne Jackson of Potomac; three daughters, Carol Johnston and Rhonda Jackson, both of Gaithersburg, and Elizabeth Jackson Redding of Frederick, Md.; a brother, Wesley Jackson of Las Vegas; a sister, Shirley Whitfield of Santa Cruz, Calif.; and four grandchildren.


Library of Congress Employee

Mary E. Tompkins, 100, a former employee of the Library of Congress who specialized in catalogue card maintenance, died Aug. 15 at the home of her daughter in Augusta, Ga. She had heart ailments.

Mrs. Tompkins was born in Owensboro, Ky. She was an Army nurse during World War I.

She moved to the Washington area in the mid-1920s and worked at the Library of Congress from 1945 to 1957.

She was a former member of St. Peter's Episcopal Church in Arlington.

A former resident of Arlington, Mrs. Tompkins moved to Augusta about 20 years ago.

Her husband, retired Army Capt. James F. Tompkins, died in 1947.

Survivors include two children, James F. Tompkins Jr. of Washington and Helen Ford of Augusta; four grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren.