Hugh F. Owens, 80, who had served on the Securities and Exchange Commission from 1964 to 1973, died Sept. 1 at a nursing home in Oklahoma City after a heart attack and stroke. He lived in Oklahoma City.

After resigning from the SEC, where he had been acting chairman in 1971 and 1973, Mr. Owens was appointed by Nixon as board chairman of the Securities Investor Protection Corporation. In 1981, he retired from the government and returned to his native Oklahoma.

Mr. Owens was a graduate of the University of Illinois and the University of Oklahoma law school. He served aboard destroyers in the Pacific during World War II.

He practiced law in Chicago from 1934 to 1936, and then in Oklahoma City until 1951. He then spent two years with Superior Oil in Texas and the National Associated Petroleum Co. in Oklahoma before returning to his private law practice in Oklahoma City. From 1959 to 1964, he was administrator of the Oklahoma Securities Commission.

Mr. Owens had served on the executive committee of the National Association of Regulatory Utility Commissioners from 1964 to 1973, and was a past vice president of the U.S. Junior Chamber of Commerce. He had been a member of the Metropolitan and Chevy Chase clubs. He was a member of the Catholic Church of the Annunciation in Washington.

Survivors include his wife, Louise, of Oklahoma City; a daughter, Julie Owens of El Paso; two grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren.


State Department Official

Henry L. Deimel Jr., 91, a retired State Department official, died Aug. 31 at Georgetown University Hospital after surgery for a gallbladder ailment. He lived in Washington.

Dr. Deimel came to Washington in 1923 as assistant chief of the Commerce Department's foreign tariffs division. He later served as director of the department's maritime commerce division before transferring to the State Department in 1931.

At State, he was an economic adviser and assistant chief of the trade agreements division. In 1941, he became director of the economics and statistics division of the old U.S. Maritime Commission. He then worked for the Allied Control Commission in Italy before transferring to the State Department's Foreign Service about 1949.

He was economic counselor in New Delhi and was stationed in Paris before retiring from State as director of its transportation office about 1960. For about the next five years, he held a part-time post with the Agency for International Development, working with its promotions board. He also served for a time as consultant to United Airlines and the Haitian government.

Dr. Deimel was born in New York and grew up in Europe and California. He was a graduate of the University of California at Berkeley, where he also received a doctorate in economics.

He was a member of Diplomatic and Consular Officers Retired, the American Foreign Service Association, and National City Christian Church in Washington.

His first wife, the former Ruth Grady, whom he married in 1923, died in 1983. His survivors include his wife, Vivian, of Washington; two daughters by his first marriage, Mary Janice Leavitt of Fairfax and Lita Harrison of Arlington; a sister, Dorothea Greve of Hillsborough, Calif.; six grandchildren; and three great-grandchildren.


Engineer and Actor

Howard J. Marsden, 80, a retired official of the U.S. Maritime Commission and an actor who appeared in several theater and film productions in the Washington area, died of heart ailments Aug. 31 at Fairfax Hospital.

Mr. Marsden, who lived in Annandale, was an engineer by profession. He served in the Army in Washington during World War II. He then joined what is now the Maritime Administration in the Commerce Department as director of ports. He retired in 1971.

As an actor, Mr. Marsden appeared in productions at the Arena Stage and at various dinner theaters in this area. He had small parts in such films as "Reds," which starred Warren Beatty, and "Suspect," which starred Cher. He also made television commercials and was the model for an elderly "paper boy" in a Washington Post ad that the newspaper has published many times.

A resident of Annandale, Mr. Marsden was born in Jersey City. He studied at the Newark College of Engineering and the International Correspondence School, where he received a degree in engineering. He was a registered professional engineer. He had lived in the Washington area since 1942.

Mr. Marsden was a member of Friendship United Methodist Church in Falls Church.

Survivors include his wife, Adelaide Marsden, whom he married in 1939, of Annandale; two children, Linda Dibbs of McLean and David Marsden of Burke; a sister, Edith Bates of Jersey City; and five grandchildren.


Church Member

Rita B. Behanna, 59, a member of the St. Francis of Assisi Catholic Church in Rockville and the Children of Light Prayer Community, a church group, died of cancer Aug. 30 at her home in Derwood.

Mrs. Behanna was born in Donora, Pa. She graduated from the Rosalie Foundling Home in Pittsburgh with a degree in practical nursing and a specialty in pediatrics. She was a nurse in Pittsburgh before moving to the Washington area in 1958.

Survivors include her husband, Clyde S. Behanna of Derwood; four children, David Behanna of Poughkeepsie, N.Y., Dean Behanna of Middletown, Md., Mark Behanna of Culpeper, Va., and Kerry Ward of Germantown; her mother, Anne Stofko of Donora; a brother, Stephen R. Stofko III of Elizabeth, Pa.; and eight grandchildren.


Bethesda Jeweler

Raymond Linthicum Hales, 72, a retired area jeweler who was a founder of the Washington Jewelers Guild, died of a heart ailment Aug. 27 at Suburban Hospital in Bethesda. He lived in Kensington.

Before retiring in 1981, he had spent 15 years with Robert Limon Inc., a Bethesda jewelry concern. Before that, he had worked for a number of area stores, including Farr's jewelers in Washington.

Mr. Hales, who was born in Baltimore, moved here as a teenager. He graduated from McKinley Technical High School and began working as a jeweler before World War II. He served with the Army Air Forces in Italy during the war.

Since 1980, he had been a member of the Potomac Curling Club.

Survivors include his wife, Patricia R., of Kensington; two daughters, Valeria Schiemann of Neshanic Station, N.J., and Diane McGranor of Niagara Falls, N.Y.; and three grandchildren.


Area Resident Since 1970

Margaret Mae Wood Averill, 83, an area resident since 1970 who was a 1928 graduate of the University of Vermont, died of a heart ailment Aug. 31 in Bethesda at the Fernwood nursing home, where she had spent the past two years.

Mrs. Averill, a former Gaithersburg resident, was born in Indiana and grew up in Flushing, N.Y. She moved here from Detroit.

Her husband, Lawrence H. Averill, died in 1975. Her survivors include two sons, Richard W. and Lawrence Jr., both of Bethesda; a daughter, Ruth A. McKay of Vienna; two brothers, Paul Wood of New Jersey and Wilson D. Wood of Gaithersburg; a sister, Lucille Gerlach of North Carolina; five grandchildren; and four great-grandchildren.


AT&T Engineer

Horace James Britt, 81, a retired staff engineer with the American Telephone & Telegraph Co., died Aug. 30 at Alexandria Hospital. He had Alzheimer's disease, Parkinson's disease and diabetes.

Mr. Britt, a resident of Alexandria, was born in Indianola, Miss. He joined AT&T in Richmond in 1927 and later worked in Philadelphia. He was transferred to Washington in 1946 and concentrated on government work until retiring in 1974.

A staff engineer, Mr. Britt held 19 patents and did much work in developing conference calls.

He was a life member of the Alexander Graham Bell Chapter of the Telephone Pioneers of America and an elder and deacon at Westminster Presbyterian Church in Alexandria.

Survivors include his wife, Elsie Rae Britt, whom he married in 1934, of Alexandria; four children, James Edward Britt of Great Falls, Mary Ann Strobel of Madison, Va., Elizabeth J. Britt of Luray, Va., and Kathleen Herrman of Warrenton, Va.; eight grandchildren; and five great-grandchildren.


Area Resident

Esther Tucker, 96, a resident of the Washington area since 1930 and a Red Cross volunteer during World War II, died of pneumonia Aug. 31 at Suburban Hospital.

Mrs. Tucker, who had lived at the Hebrew Home of Greater Washington in Rockville for the last nine years, was born in Russia. She came to this country in 1910 and lived in San Francisco before moving to Washington.

Her husband, Philip Tucker, died in 1978. Her daughter, Bernice Alva, died in 1985. Survivors include two grandchildren and a great-grandchild.


HUD Liaison Officer

Ruth Leslie Worley, 76, a retired congressional liaison officer with the Department of Housing and Urban Development, died of cancer Aug. 30 at George Washington University Hospital. She lived in Washington.

Mrs. Worley, who was a native of Ohio, came here and began her government career in 1953. She began as an administrative aide in the Public Housing Administration and joined HUD when that department was established. She retired in 1974.

Survivors include her husband, Arthur, of Washington; three sisters, Gladys Stemen of Botkins, Ohio, Grace Feeney of Defiance, Ohio, and Louise Ross of Port Richey, Fla.; and a brother, Clair Leslie of Hicksville, Ohio.


Tax Lawyer

John P. Lipscomb, 78, a retired tax lawyer who was a partner in the Washington law firm of Lee, Toomey & Kent, died of cancer Aug. 31 at his home in Chevy Chase.

He practiced law in Washington from 1942 until retiring in 1974.

Mr. Lipscomb, who was born in Portland, Ore., received undergraduate and law degrees from Stanford University, and belonged to Phi Beta Kappa. He practiced law in Portland for five years before moving here in 1942.

He was a member of Westmoreland Congregational Church in Bethesda, the Photographic Society of America, North Bethesda Camera Club and Columbia Country Club. His hobbies included hill-climbing, which he had done in Pakistan. He was a member of the Himalayan Club in Bombay, India.

Survivors include his wife of 52 years, Keturah Schroeder Lipscomb of Chevy Chase; a daughter, Mary Keturah Lipscomb Flynn of Ridgewood, N.J.; and four grandsons.


SEC Attorney

Harold Sweetwood, 83, a retired attorney with the Securities and Exchange Commission, died of a heart attack Aug. 31 at Suburban Hospital.

Mr. Sweetwood, a resident of Bethesda, was born in New York City. He graduated from Syracuse University with a law degree.

He practiced law in New York City before moving to the Washington area in 1943 and joining the SEC. He was special counsel in the division of investment company management when he retired in 1975.

Mr. Sweetwood was a member of the National Lawyers Club, B'nai B'rith and Congregation Beth El in Bethesda.

Survivors include his wife, Ellen Sweetwood of Bethesda; a daughter, Ruth Vinitsky of Potomac; and three grandchildren.