Edward Clark Stephan, 83, a retired rear admiral and a decorated veteran of World War II who held commands in the submarine service and also was the Navy's chief oceanographer, died of pneumonia Sept. 5 at Montgomery General Hospital. He lived in Silver Spring.

Adm. Stephan received the Navy Cross, which ranks below only the Medal of Honor among the Navy's awards for valor, for his actions as a submarine commander in the Pacific.

While on patrol in Japanese-controlled waters, Adm. Stephan, then a commander, attacked two enemy convoys and two enemy destroyers. The citation accompanying his Navy Cross said that he succeeded in "damaging one destroyer and a large amount of hostile shipping. By skillful evasive tatics, he eluded heavy Japanese counter-measures and succeeded in bringing his ship safely to port."

In addition to the Navy Cross, Adm. Stephan also received three awards of the Silver Star for other submarine actions against the Japanese.

Adm. Stephen's postwar assignments included various submarine commands. In the mid-1950s, he was chief of legislative liaison for the Navy Department. From 1958 to 1960, he commanded the South Atlantic Force in Trinidad.

From 1960 to 1963, Adm. Stephan was the oceanographer of the Navy, and in that capacity headed the Naval Oceanographic Office. His last assignment was as chairman of the Deep Submergence Systems Review Group. He retired from active duty in 1964.

Adm. Stephan then became a vice president at Ocean Systems Inc., a New York-based underwater operations company. He headed its Washington office until about 1969, when he retired a second time. He then worked as an environmental consultant until 1977.

A Washington native, Adm. Stephan was a graduate of Central High School. He graduated from the United States Naval Academy at Annapolis in 1929 and spent most of his prewar career in the submarine service. He was attending George Washington University law school when the United States entered World War II in 1941.

Adm. Stephan was a founding president of the Marine Technology Society, a professional organization, and a member of the advisory board of the National Marine Resources Council, a private research advisory group.

His wife, Margaret Padgett Stephan, died in 1987.

Survivors include three children, Paula Stephan Lee of Annapolis, David W. Stephan of Goshen, N.H., and Edward C. Stephan Jr. of Kensington; a sister, Elizabeth Stephan Joyce of McLean; seven grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren.



Elliott Rutstein, 70, an Oxon Hill dentist who had operated a private practice in the Washington area since 1948, died Aug. 27 at Holy Cross Hospital after a heart attack.

Dr. Rutstein, who lived in Silver Spring, was a native of Connecticut and a graduate of the University of Connecticut. During World War II, he served in the Army.

He graduated from the Georgetown University dental school in 1947. He then worked for the Public Health Service in Boston for a year before returning to Washington and opening a private practice. He moved the practice to Oxon Hill about 1975.

He was a member of the Ohr Kodesh Congregation in Silver Spring.

Survivors include his wife of 45 years, Leila Rutstein of Silver Spring; three children, Dr. Richard Rutstein of Merion Station, Pa., Dr. Jeffrey Rutstein of Princeton Junction, N.J., and Leslie Weiner of Newton Center, Mass.; two brothers, Irving and Harry Rutstein; and a sister, Sylvia Cohen, all of Hartford; and three grandchildren.


NSA Official

Neil B. Carson, 69, a retired computer science specialist at the National Security Agency and an official of the Washington Stake of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, died Aug. 27 at his home in Bethesda after a heart attack.

Mr. Carson was with the NSA from 1955 until he retired in 1973. Since 1985, he had been a member of the High Council of the Washington Stake of the Mormon Church.

Mr. Carson was a native of Indiana. He graduated magna cum laude from Harvard University with a degree in music. During World War II, he served in the Navy as an intelligence officer. He left the Navy in 1952 as a lieutenant commander and after three years here as a civilian analyst with Navy Intelligence, he joined the NSA.

In the 1960s, he was a scoutmaster in Bethesda and from 1979 to 1983, he was bishop of the Mormon Church's Kensington Ward. His hobbies included arranging and composing music, hiking and square dancing.

Survivors include his wife of 46 years, Jean Carson of Bethesda; three children, Jacki Ellen Rockwell of Bethesda, Sherry Lynn Randle of Belleville, Ill., and Wesley Earl Carson of Vancouver, Wash., and 10 grandchildren.


School Operator

David H. Stebbing, 88, a retired auditor with the D.C. government who helped his wife run the Naylor Road School in Southeast Washington, died of cardiopulmonary arrest Sept. 4 at his home in Mitchellville.

Mr. Stebbing was born in what is now Kitchener, Ontario. His family moved to Washington when he was a child. He graduated from Strayer Business College and received a law degree from Georgetown University.

About 1930, he went to work for the D.C. Public Works Department as an auditor. In 1946, he switched to the city's internal audit department, and he retired about 1959.

He then assisted his wife in running Naylor Road, a private school they founded in 1940 that took students from kindergarten through the third grade. In 1974, they sold it and moved to Mitchellville.

Mr. Stebbing was a past president of the Hillcrest Citizens Associaton in Washington and a member of the Oak Crest Country Club in Upper Marlboro and Church of the New Jerusalem in Mitchellville.

Survivors include his wife, Winnifred A. Stebbing, whom he married in 1936, of Mitchellville; a son, David H. Stebbing of Washington; and three grandchildren.


WSSC Surveyor

Harry S. Ford, 74, a retired surveyor with the Washington Suburban Sanitary Commission, died Sept. 1 at Sloan-Kettering cancer hospital in New York City. He had cancer.

Mr. Ford, a resident of East Lyme, Conn., was born in Key West, Fla. He moved to the Washington area in the late 1930s and settled in Silver Spring. During World War II, he served in the Army in Europe and rose to the rank of captain. He was wounded in action and received the Purple Heart.

Mr. Ford began his career with the WSSC in 1940. He retired in 1973. Two years later, he moved to Chapel Hill, N.C., and later still he moved to Connecticut.

He was a member of American Legion Post No. 94 in Silver Spring.

Survivors include his wife, Mildred Voshell Ford of East Lyme, and a stepdaughter, Carolyn A. Tornstrom of Spencer, Mass.


Caterer and Club Manager

Angelica Spaeth Burley, 66, a former Washington area caterer and manager of the Congressional Club, died Aug. 26 at Holy Cross Hospital. She had diabetes.

Mrs. Burley, who lived in Wheaton, was born in Elizabeth City, N.C. She moved to the Washington area in 1932 and attended Hyattsville High School.

During the 1950s and 1960s, Mrs. Burley operated a catering business, Angelica Caterers. She was manager of the Congressional Club in the late 1960s and early 1970s.

She was a member of the Club Managers Association of America, the International Food Services Executives, the Zonta Club of Washington and the National Association of Catering Executives.

Her marriage to Joseph Gerstell ended in divorce.

From 1950 until his death in 1975, Mrs. Burley was married to Lawrence Spaeth, a pianist with the Meyer Davis Orchestra. While keeping Washington as her home base, she accompanied him on professional engagements in the United States and Europe.

Mrs. Burley was married to Paul J. Burley from 1985 until his death in 1988.

Survivors include a brother, Jim Leathers of Laurel, and two stepchildren, Robert J. Burley and Paula Burley Summers, both of Wheaton.


Special Education Teacher

Bruce Leney, 43, a Prince George's County special education teacher, died of cancer Aug. 7 at Howard County Hospital.

Mr. Leney, who lived in Laurel, was born in Buffalo. He served in the Navy, then graduated from the State University of New York at Buffalo. In 1972 he moved to the Washington area and joined the Prince George's schools.

He had been a classroom teacher, industrial arts teacher and special education teacher at Kent Junior High School, Wheatley Special Center and a special education resource teacher at Buck Lodge Middle School. For about 10 years, he had been been a special education resource teacher assigned at all Prince George's County High Schools.

He was a member of Oaklands Presbyterian Church in Laurel.

Survivors include his wife, Anne Lisbeth Leney of Laurel, and two sons, Derek Leney, with the Navy in Pensacola, Fla., and Justin Leney of Laurel.


Commerce Department Manager

Martha Ann Mangin, 69, a retired public works program manager at the Commerce Department's Economic Development Administration, died of a liver ailment Aug. 29 at Holy Cross Hospital.

Miss Mangin, who lived in Washington, was a native of Wisconsin. She came to Washington in 1941 as a secretary at the Justice Department. About 1950, she went to work as a secretary for the Washington law firm of Ford & Larson. In 1960, she joined the staff of Rep. Byron Rogers (D-Colo.) She went to the Commerce Department about 1966 and retired in 1985.

She was a member of St. Stephen Martyr Catholic Church in Washington.

Survivors include a sister, Jean Stradal of Manitowoc, Wis.


Photographer and Printer

Bernard A. Churchill, 63, an area printer and photographer for 13 years before moving to Northampton, Mass., in February, died of cancer Aug. 30 at his daughter's home in Northampton.

Mr. Churchill was a past president of the Bowie Lions Club.

He worked for Metro Printing in Sterling before becoming a printing supervisor with MCI communications in Washington in the early 1980s, and most recently he was a photographer with Reproductions printing in Gaithersburg.

Mr. Churchill, who was a native of Rockport, Mass., came to the Washington area from Michigan. He was a Navy veteran and attended Temple University.

His marriage to the former Laureen O'Brien ended in divorce.

Survivors include two daughters, Carol Churchill of Northampton and Gail Churchill of New York City; and a sister, Annette Hodesh of Ann Arbor, Mich.


Navy Department Employee

Robert G. Hall, 70, a former Navy Department employee who retired in 1975 as head of the defense standardization program for the Naval Electronics Systems Command, died of cancer Sept. 4 at Southern Maryland Hospital Center.

Mr. Hall, who lived in Oxon Hill, was born in Warrenton. He served in the Navy during World War II, then worked for the Department of the Navy in a civilian capacity.

He was a member of the Moose Lodge and the Masons.

Survivors include his wife, Dorothy, of Oxon Hill; two daughters, Gwendolyn M. Cornell of Oxon Hill and Georgia L. Peterson of Richmond; a sister, Mary E. Coleman of Camp Springs; six grandchildren; and three great-grandchildren.