John W. O'Beirne, 72, a retired FBI special agent who was a board member of the St. Patrick's Day Parade Committee in Washington, died Sept. 5 at Holy Cross Hospital after a heart attack.
Mr. O'Beirne, who lived in Silver Spring, was a native of New York. He came to the Washington area in 1941 as a special agent at the FBI's Washington field office. From about 1950 to 1968, he was a firearms instructor at the FBI Academy. He later served on the bureau's inspection staff. His last assignment was as a special assistant in the office of the director. He retired in 1972.
In 1976, he worked as a special assistant to the House Committee on Small Business. He was a special assistant to the House Public Works Committee from 1983 to 1985.
Mr. O'Beirne was a past chairman of the Washington chapter of the Society of Former Special Agents of the FBI. He was a member of Christ The King Catholic Church in Silver Spring, the Knights of Columbus and the American Ireland Fund. He was a founding member and board chairman of the American Foundation for Irish Heritage and a founding member and past exalted ruler of the Bethesda Elks.
His marriage to Barbara O'Beirne ended in divorce.
Survivors include his wife, Peggy O'Beirne of Silver Spring, and three children from his first marriage, John, Michael and Kelly O'Beirne, all of Chevy Chase.
EDWARD P. WASHINGTON
Edward P. Washington, 70, a retired Air Force major who became director of operations of the Montgomery County school system, died Sept. 3 at Holy Cross Hospital. He had a heart attack and a stroke.
Maj. Washington, a resident of Silver Spring, was born in West Cape May, N.J. He was a graduate of Youngstown University, and received master's degrees in education from Western Michigan University and Johns Hopkins University.
He enlisted in the Army Air Corps in 1940. During World War II, he served in the Pacific. He was commissioned in the Air Force when it became a separate service in 1947 and subsequently served at various posts in the United States and Okinawa. He was a personnel officer at the National Security Agency when he retired in 1969.
Maj. Washington then settled in the Washington area and joined the Montgomery school system as director of operations. He retired in 1979.
Survivors include his wife, Marion Wilson Washington, whom he married in 1947, of Silver Spring; four sons, Edward P. Washington Jr. of Silver Spring, Army Lt. Col. Darwin O. Washington, who is stationed in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, Byron D. Washington of Washington, and David G. Washington of Bridgeport, Conn.; two brothers, James R. Washington of West Cape May and Hiram Washington of New York City; and five grandchildren.
FRED R. "CHICK" PETTIS
Fred R. "Chick" Pettis, 74, a retired photography laboratory techinican at the House Recording Studio, a photography studio for the House of Representatives, died of cancer Aug. 31 at his home in Homosassa, Fla.
Mr. Pettis was a Washington native and a graduate of Western High School. During World War II, he served in the Army in Europe. After the war, he joined the House Recording Studio. He retired in 1972 and moved to Florida in 1975.
Survivors include his wife, Audrey Pettis of Homosassa Springs; four children, Fred R. Jr., Robert and Patrick Pettis, all of Washington, and Miriam Naylor of Miami; and five grandchildren.
ELWOOD F. CONARD
Elwood F. Conard, 83, a retired lieutenant commander in the Navy Reserve who was decorated in World War II and who later worked for the Government Printing Office, died of a heart attack Sept. 4 at his home in Bethesda.
Cmdr. Conard was born in New Jersey. He enlisted in the Navy Reserve in 1937 and served on active duty from 1942 to 1947. During World War II, he was stationed at various naval facilities in this country and in Bermuda and Newfoundland. He served at sea aboard the destroyer Perry in the Atlantic.
When he left active duty, he had a 100 percent service-connected disability.
His military decorations included the Silver Star, the Legion of Merit, the Bronze Star, two awards of the Purple Heart and the Navy Commendation Medal.
Cmdr. Conard settled in the Washington area when he left active duty and went to work for the GPO. He retired in 1962.
He was a member of the Veterans of Foreign Wars, the Disabled American Veterans and the Sojourners Club.
His marriage to Archina Conard ended in divorce. His second wife, Helen Conard, died in 1985.
Survivors include his wife, Geraldine Conard of Bethesda; a daughter by his first marriage, Helen Linda DeMarais of Claremont, Calif.; and a grandchild.
PAT ADELAIDE LARKIN
Pat Adelaide Larkin, 65, a former Alexandria resident and retired Defense Department secretary, died of cancer Sept. 6 at her home in Toms River, N.J.
Mrs. Larkin was born in Dayton, Ohio. She worked 10 years as a Defense Department secretary in Hawaii before moving to the Washington area 21 years ago. She worked 20 years at the Pentagon before retiring and moving to New Jersey last November.
She was a member of the Irish Cultural Society of Washington.
Her husband, retired Air Force Maj. Timothy Larkin, died in 1977.
Survivors include two brothers, Clinton E. Cronin of Toms River and Arthur C. Cronin of Orange Park, Fla.; and two sisters, Arlene Cochrane of Yardley, Pa., and Geraldine J. Cronin of Toms River.
DOROTHY B. MAHONEY
Dorothy B. Mahoney, 93, a member of the Old Presbyterian Meeting House in Alexandria and the Katherine Montgomery chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution in Washington, died of congestive heart failure Sept. 6 at Jefferson Hospital in Alexandria.
Mrs. Mahoney was born in Rochester, N.Y. She attended Mount Holyoke College and graduated from the Columbia University School of Business.
She moved to Alexandria from Scarsdale, N.Y., 10 years ago.
Her husband, Stephen P. Mahoney, died in 1976.
Survivors include two children, Dorothy M. Hall of Gibson Island, Md., and Stephen B. Mahoney of Pesuque, N.M., and Antibes, France; two granddaughters; and three great-grandchildren.
DOROTHY D. HOLLAND
Clerk and Analyst
Dorothy D. Holland, 58, a clerk and special projects analyst for the Alexandria Board of Education, died of cancer Sept. 4 at Mount Vernon Hospital.
Mrs. Holland, who lived in Alexandria, was born in French, N.M. She moved to the Washington area in 1968 after having lived in Colorado and Alaska.
She worked for the Alexandria Board of Education for about the last 20 years.
She was a member of the Alexandria South Congregation of Jehovah's Witnesses.
Survivors include her husband of 38 years, Robert E. Holland of Alexandria; two children, Kevin Holland of Falls Church and David Holland of Pittsburgh; a brother, Jerry Vance of Denver; a sister, Jean Kadas of San Jose; and a grandchild.
JAMES F. KNEIBLER
James F. Kneibler, 72, a retired records management specialist with the Atomic Energy Commission, died of cancer Sept. 5 at Georgetown University Hospital.
Mr. Kneibler, who lived in Gaithersburg, was born in Binghamton, N.Y. He joined the records management staff of the Army Corps of Engineers in Binghamton in 1940.
He worked for the Corps of Engineers in Binghamton and later at Oak Ridge, Tenn., then, upon creation of the Atomic Energy Commission in 1947, worked for the agency in Oak Ridge and in New York City. He worked for RCA in New Jersey as a records specialist and computer analyst from 1952 until the mid-1960s, when he moved to the Washington area and rejoined the Atomic Energy Commission in Germantown as a records management specialist. He retired in 1979.
He was a member of Toastmasters and the American Management Association.
Survivors include his wife, Ruth Kneibler of Gaithersburg; his mother, Helen Kneibler of Binghamton; and four sisters, Beulah Sayer of Binghamton, Marion Jester of Springfield, Mass., Betty Hinton of Knoxville, Tenn., and Madlyn Lent of Fountain Hills, Ariz.
LOT B. PAGE
Lot B. Page, 67, the former chief of the cardiovascular aging program at the National Institute on Aging of the National Institutes of Health, died of prostatic cancer Aug. 29 at his home in Lincoln, Mass.
Dr. Page, a former resident of Bethesda, served at NIH from 1985 until 1989, when he became chief of medicine at the Manchester Veterans Medical Center in Manchester, N.H.
He was born in Tarrytown, N.Y., and graduated from Middlebury College and Harvard Medical School. Before his assignment at NIH he had been chief of medicine at Newton-Wellesley Hospital in Massachusetts and a staff physician, researcher, director of chemical laboratories and chief of the hypertension clinic at Massachusetts General Hospital.
Survivors include his wife, Patricia Howe Page of Lincoln; three children, Deborah Page Peterson of Falmouth, Mass., Jesse R. Page of Syracuse, N.Y., and John H. Page of Cambridge, Mass.; and a brother, Bryant Page of Acton, Mass.
ISABELLE DUNCAN STRACHAN
Isabelle Duncan Strachan, 89, a retired house mother in Buffalo and a resident of Burke, died of cancer Sept. 1 at the Hospice of Northern Virginia.
From 1966 until her death, Mrs. Strachan lived with her daughter, Isabel M. Strachan, an FBI official, and she accompanied her on assignments to U.S. embassies in London; Canberra, Australia; Copenhagen; Ottawa; and Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic. They lived in the Washington area from 1974 to 1977 and returned here in 1989.
Mrs. Strachan was born in Greenock, Scotland. In 1925, she immigrated to Toronto, Canada, and in 1927 she moved to Buffalo. She was a seamstress and worked for a supermarket and an airplane factory before 1951, when she became the house mother for student nurses at the Sisters of Charity Hospital in Buffalo. She retired in 1966.
She was a member of the parish of Holy Spirit Catholic Church in Annandale.
Mrs. Strachan's husband, George Dobbin Strachan, died in 1936. A son, George J. Strachan, died in 1988.
In addition to her daughter, of Burke, survivors include two sons, Joseph D. Strachan of White Plains, N.Y., and Charles T. Strachan of Oraville, Wash.; a sister, Janet Finnegan of Brooklyn, N.Y.; nine grandchildren; and four great-grandchildren.
Red Cross Volunteer
Fegalia Panagos, 91, a Red Cross volunteer and a member of the Philoptohos Society and the women's board at St. Sophia Greek Orthodox Cathedral, died of congestive heart failure Sept. 6 at the Washington Home.
Mrs. Panagos, who lived in Washington, was born in the province of Messinia in Greece. She came to the United States as a young woman and lived briefly in Massachusetts before moving to the Washington area in 1919.
She did volunteer work for the Red Cross for 25 years and during World War II was a Greek War Relief volunteer.
Her husband, Anthony J. Panagos, died in 1947.
Survivors include three children, Peter A. Panagos of Rockville, Demetria Floros of Ithaca, N.Y., and Joanna Vozeolas of Washington.
JAN C. MARFYAK
Jan C. Marfyak, 84, an abstract painter who had lived in the Washington area since 1980, died at Suburban Hospital Sept. 1 after a stroke.
Mr. Marfyak, a resident of Rockville, was born in Czechoslovakia. He came to the United States in 1911 and grew up in New York City.
During the 1930s he worked with the Federal Arts Project in New York City, as director of art at the Indian Museum in Roswell, N.M., and in Washington as a program director at the Bureau of Inter-American Affairs in the State Department.
In the late 1940s, he opened a decorative art business in Ossining, N.Y. He moved the business to Madison, Wis., in 1966, and retired in 1970. He lived and painted there until he returned to this area and settled in Rockville.
His marriage to Dorothy Marfyak ended in divorce.
Survivors include a son, Jan E. Marfyak of Gaithersburg, and two grandchildren.