John Hallowell Ohly, 89, a retired special assistant to the director at the Agency for International Development who had also held staff posts at the War and Defense departments, died Sept. 9 at a hospital in North Adams, Mass., after a stroke.

In 1947, Mr. Ohly was appointed one of three special assistants to Defense Secretary James V. Forrestal. He did developmental staff work for the Defense Department and NATO and worked as a liaison to the National Security Council.

He went to the State Department in 1951 as a deputy director of plans and programs at the International Cooperation Administration. In 1961, when that agency became part of the Agency for International Development, Mr. Ohly went there as a special assistant to the director. He retired in 1968.

He then did independent research on foreign aid programs and policies until about 1976.

Mr. Ohly was born in New York City and graduated from Williams College and the Harvard University Law School. He taught at Harvard Law School and worked for a law firm in New York before coming to the Washington area in 1941 to work at the War Department. He was a special assistant there when he was appointed to Forrestal's staff.

He moved from McLean to Williamstown, Mass., about 1983.

Survivors include his wife of 53 years, Elizabeth Congleton Ohly of Williamstown; three sons, John H. Ohly Jr. of Rehoboth, Mass., Nicholas D. Ohly of New Haven, Conn., and Frederick C. Ohly of McLean; and five grandchildren.



Harry Brott, 67, retired president of Kahn-Oppenheimer Jewelers in Washington, died Sept. 9 at Washington Hospital Center of complications after heart surgery.

Mr. Brott, who lived in Rockville and Coconut Creek, Fla., was born in Portland, Ore. He moved to the Washington area 56 years ago and graduated from Central High School and Benjamin Franklin University School of Accounting.

He served in the Army during World War II.

He spent his entire working life at Kahn-Oppenheimer and was president of the firm at retirement in the early 1980s.

Mr. Brott was a 32nd degree Mason and a Shriner, a former president of the Maryland-Delaware-District of Columbia Jewelers Association, and a member of the Greater Washington Jewelers Association, the National Association of Jewelry Appraisers, the Amity Club and Temple Israel in Silver Spring.

Survivors include his wife of 47 years, Frances Brott of Rockville and Coconut Creek; two daughters, Diane Apter of Syracuse, N.Y. and Leslie Brott of Oakland, Calif.; one brother, Lou Brott of Chevy Chase; and two grandchildren.


Air Force Colonel

John O. Berga, 61, a retired Air Force colonel who was a nuclear power specialist and the Washington representative of the Electric Power Research Institute, died of cardiac arrest Sept. 8 at the National Rehabilitation and Orthopaedic Hospital.

Col. Berga, who lived in Falls Church, was a native of Illinois. He graduated from the United States Naval Academy at Annapolis in 1951 and was commissioned in the Air Force. He later received a master's degree in nuclear engineering from the Air Force Institute of Technology.

He served in Korea during the war there as a bomber navigator and bombardier. He served in the Vietnam War in 1969 and 1970 as a staff officer in Saigon.

In addition to his wartime service, Col. Berga's assignments included duty on the Air Force Academy faculty from 1955 to 1959 and as a nuclear project engineer in San Diego from 1961 to 1965. His last Air Force assignment was as a member of the technical advisory board at the Department of Transportation.

He retired from active duty and settled in the Washington area in 1974. His military decorations included the Distinguished Flying Cross, the Bronze Star and three awards of the Air Medal.

In 1975, Col. Berga becmae executive director of the energy engineering board at the National Academy of Sciences' National Research Council. In 1981, he went to the Electric Power Research Institute, a nonprofit research development group based in Palo Alto, Calif.

His marriage to Nancy E. Berga ended in divorce.

Survivors include his wife, Patricia B. Berga of Falls Church; four children from his first marriage, Ross J. Berga of Chantilly, Sarah L. Berga of Pittsburgh, Sally E. Berga of Denver and Rebecca L. Fry of Lorton; two stepchildren, Timothy M. Lewis of Chantilly and Pamela S. Coombs of Fredericksburg, Va.; a brother, Reid A. Berga of Hemet, Calif.; a sister, Betty Hiatt of Amboy, Ill.; and 11 grandchildren.



Edward Leslie Herbert, 78, a retired economist with the Department of Commerce, died Sept. 6 at Sibley Memorial Hospital of complications after surgery for an abdominal aneurysm.

Mr. Herbert, who had homes in Rockville and Naples, Fla., was a Washington native. He graduated from McKinley Technical High School and George Washington University.

During World War II, he served in North Africa and Europe as an Army artilleryman.

He became an economist at the Department of Labor in 1949 and transferred to Commerce in 1955. He retired for health reasons in 1975.

Survivors include his wife of 46 years, Mabel Keesee Herbert of Rockville and Naples; and two children, Robert M. Herbert of Rockville and Susan Truskowsky of Trappe, Pa.


Church Member

Thelma Porter, 81, a member of the Springfield United Methodist Church who had worked as a elementary school teacher in Florida, New York City and Wise County, Va., died of septicemia Sept. 9 at Alexandria Hospital.

Mrs. Porter, who lived in Springfield, was a native of Pound, Va. She graduated from Radford College. She taught elementary school in Wise County from 1928 to 1939. She then taught in the Miami public schools for three years before moving to New York City. She taught in the public schools there until she retired in 1945 and moved to New Mexico. She came to the Washington area about 1960.

Her husband, George Porter, died in 1963.

Survivors include a sister, Mary Virginia Robinson, and a brother, James Robinson, both of Springfield.


Administrative Assistant

Alla Harmon Rogers, 84, a retired administrative assistant and a volunteer worker for Presbyterian churches, died of cancer Sept. 9 at a nursing home in Penney Farms, Fla.

Miss Rogers was born in Mansfield, La. She moved to the Washington area in 1919, graduated from Central High School and attended George Washington University.

For 23 years until shortly after World War II she was administrative assistant to the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace, then until the early 1970s was an administrative assistant at the Washington law firm of Johnston & Frost. Until her retirement in 1981 she was administrator of the James M. Johnston Trust for Charitable and Educational Services in Washington.

She was an elder in the Presbyterian Church and had been a member of the Central Presbyterian Church in Washington and the Chevy Chase Presbyterian Church. She had been a volunteer youth worker for the Potomac Presbytery and was a founder of the Presbytery's youth conference center, Camp Glenkirk. She had also done taught bible classes in Presbyterian churches.

In 1981 Miss Rogers moved from Washington to Penney Farms.

There are no immediate survivors.



Marcelle Leverich McCammon, 80, a retired secretary who had worked at the National Academy of Sciences and the American Council on Education, died of cancer Sept. 9 at her home in New Orleans.

Mrs. McCammon was born in New Orleans and graduated from Newcomb College there.

She moved to the Washington area in 1959 and worked at the National Academy of Sciences and then at the American Council on Education before retiring in 1975. She had also done volunteer work for the Red Cross.

Her husband, Dr. Walter O. McCammon, died in 1943.

Survivors include one son, retired Navy. Capt. Peter Leverich McCammon of New Orleans; and one brother, William Priestley Leverich of Fort Worth.


Contracting Officer

William A. "Buddy" Driscoll, 70, a retired contracting officer with the Navy Department's Military Sea Transportation Service, died of cancer Sept. 7 at his home in North Fort Myers, Fla.

Mr. Driscoll was born in Washington. He attended Roosevelt High School and American University.

He began working for the Department of the Army's transportation division in 1941, then in 1949 transferred to the Department of the Navy. He retired in 1971.

A former resident of Kensington, he moved to Florida in 1974.

Survivors include his wife, Margaret H. Driscoll of North Fort Myers; three children, Patricia A. Thompson of Bethesda, Kathleen M. Ortaldo of Frederick, Md., and William D. Driscoll of Ellicott City; two brothers, Henry W. Driscoll of New Port Richey, Fla., and David C. Driscoll of Adelphi; and seven grandchildren.


Navy Photographic Specialist

William Merell Reid, 70, retired chief of the processing division of the Naval Photographic Science Laboratory, died of cancer Sept. 8 at Woodlawn Hospice in Arlington.

Mr. Reid, who lived in Springfield, was born in Rochester, N.Y. He attended the University of Rochester and worked in Rochester for Eastman Kodak until 1942 when he joined the Navy. In the Navy, he was assigned in Washington as part of the original group that formed the Naval Photographic Science Laboratory.

After the war he worked briefly for Eastman Kodak in Rochester, then returned to Washington and joined the staff of the Naval Photographic Science Laboratory as a civilian. He retired after 40 years of service in 1984 as chief of the processing division, which develops films.

Survivors include his wife of 33 years, Virginia Reid of Springfield; two daughters, Linda Kornatz of Neptune Beach, Fla., and Diane Reid of Alexandria; one sister, Jean Reid of Rochester; and one granddaughter.