The Rev. John Jackson Koger, 81, founder and pastor of New Bethany Baptist Church in Washington, died of heart ailments Sept. 9 at Providence Hospital in Columbia, S.C. He had been on vacation and was visiting relatives when he took ill.

Mr. Koger had been pastor of New Bethany Baptist Church since its founding in 1935. The church has about 1,000 members.

He also had operated a construction business in Washington. He built the Southern Baptist Church and the educational building for the Isle of Patmos Baptist Church, and he participated in the renovation of the Progressive National Baptist Convention Inc. headquarters building.

Mr. Koger also operated Koger's Cleaners and Koger's Restaurant until selling those businesses about 10 years ago.

A resident of Washington, Mr. Koger was born in Perry, S.C. He studied theology at the P.D. Institute in Hamlet, N.C., for two years before moving to Washington in 1929.

He attended Washington Baptist Seminary and Northwestern College and was ordained in 1935.

Mr. Koger also studied engineering at Armstrong Vocational High School in Washington. For 15 years in the 1940s and 1950s he worked for the Army Corps of Engineers.

He received an honorary doctorate in divinity from Natchez College and an honorary doctorate in law from Virginia Seminary in Richmond.

He was a member of the board of directors of the Progressive National Baptist Convention Inc., and had also served that organization as president of the eastern region, chairman of the board of trustees, chairman of the advisory committee to the executive secretary, treasurer and president of the Progressive Fellowship in Washington.

He had also served on the executive board of the Baptist Convention of Washington, D.C., and Vicinity.

His wife, Bessie J. Koger, died in 1967, and a son, Oscar Clayton Koger, died in 1986.

Survivors include two grandchildren.


Utilities Consultant

Benjamin Schiffer, 75, a senior vice president at H. Zinder & Associates, a Washington utilities consulting firm, died of cancer Sept. 11 at George Washington University Hospital.

Mr. Schiffer, who lived in Washington, was a native of New York City. He graduated from the City College of New York and came to Washington in 1938 as an engineer with what was then the Federal Power Commission.

In 1951, he went to H. Zinder & Associates, where he was a specialist in natural gas pipeline regulation.

His hobbies included operating a ham radio and kayaking.

Survivors include his wife of 49 years, Clara G. Schiffer of Washington; four children, Lois Schifffer, Susan Schiffer and Alan Schiffer, all of Washington, and Nancy Miller of Milwaukee; a brother, Samuel Schiffer of Los Angeles; and two grandchildren.


Air Force Sergeant

Oliver A. "Al" Moore, 57, a retired Air Force staff sergeant and flight engineer who had later worked as an inspector with the Prince George's County Department of Public Works and Transportation, died of heart disease Sept. 2 at Malcolm Grow Medical Center at Andrews Air Force Base.

Mr. Moore, who lived in Fort Washington, was born in Valley Fork, W.Va. He joined the Navy in 1950 and was assigned in Korea during the war there. After eight years in the Navy he transferred to the Air Force and served in Vietnam during the war there. Other postings during his military career included Japan, England and Point Barrow, Alaska.

He retired from the Air Force in 1970 in Alamogordo, N.M., moved to the Washington area and began working for the Prince George's County Department of Public Works and Transportation. He retired from that job in 1987 because of heart ailments.

His marriage to Marta V. Moore ended in divorce.

Survivors include his wife, Barbara Moore of Fort Washington, and a stepdaughter, Linda Devers of Sweet Home, Ore.


Native Washingtonian

James Brown Montfort Jr., 56, a native Washingtonian who was Baltimore district manager for Wyeth Pharmaceutical Laboratories, died of cardiomyopathy Sept. 10 at Greater Baltimore Medical Center in Towson.

Mr. Montfort, who lived in Monkton, Md., grew up in Chevy Chase. He graduated from the Capitol Page School in 1952 and served in the Marine Corps from 1954 to 1956.

After his military service, Mr. Montfort moved to Baltimore County and began working for Wyeth Pharmaceutical. He retired on disability last year as manager of the Baltimore district, which included greater Baltimore and most of Maryland.

Survivors include his wife of 36 years, the former Barbara F. Carruthers of Monkton; three children, Virginia Rae Nelson of Houston, James Brown Montfort III of Lutherville, Md., and John Thomas Carruthers Montfort of Monkton; and four grandchildren.



Minnie Gross, 107, a Washington area resident for the last 17 years, died of congestive heart failure Sept. 10 at the Hebrew Home of Greater Washington.

Mrs. Gross was born in Tzemysyl in an area of the Austro-Hungarian Empire that is now part of Poland. She was reared by an older sister in Vienna, and she immigrated to the United States as a teenager.

She settled in New York City, where in 1910 she married Charles Gross. He died in 1945.

In this area, Mrs. Gross lived in Takoma Park before moving to the Hebrew Home in 1984.

Survivors include a son, Aaron J. Gross of Silver Spring; five grandchildren; and five great-grandchildren. Another son, Norman Gross, died in 1981.


Medical Assistant

Dorma Veryl Schnurr, 80, a retired Washington medical assistant, died of cardiac arrest Sept. 10 at Arlington Hospital.

Miss Schnurr, who lived in Arlington, was a native of Iowa. From 1937 to 1946, she was a medical secretary at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn.

She then moved to the Washington area, where she was a medical assistant and office manager for several Washington physicians, including Edgar W. Davis and Joseph W. Peabody. She retired in 1982.

Miss Schnurr had been a past president of the American Association of Medical Assistants' Washington chapter and a past member of the advisory committee on the medical assistant curriculum at Montgomery College.

Survivors include two brothers, Robert D. Schnurr of Arlington and Duane V. Schnurr of Orlando, Fla.



Diana Morgan Young, 77, an area resident since 1942 who was a former trustee of Bryn Mawr College and a volunteer with the school's scholarship fund, died of respiratory arrest Sept. 9 at a hospital in Cooperstown, N.Y.

Mrs. Young, who lived in Mitchellville, had been hospitalized since Aug. 16 after she suffered a fall at an opera house in Cooperstown. She was in New York visiting relatives.

A native of New York City, Mrs. Young graduated from Bryn Mawr. She served as a trustee of the college from 1975 to 1981. In 1977, she was a founder of the Lantern Bryn Mawr Bookshop, a used bookstore in Washington that sends its proceeds to the school's scholarship fund. She was a member of the Sulgrave Club.

Her first husband, John Gallup Laylin, a retired senior partner at the Washington law firm of Covington & Burling, died in 1979.

Her second husband, Philip Young, a retired Foreign Service officer and former ambassador to the Netherlands, died in 1987.

Survivors include a daughter from her first marriage, Laura Laylin Nichols of Great Falls; a brother, John S. Morgan of Norfolk, Conn., and New York City; and three grandchildren.


Bowling Instructor

Dorothy H. Schaffstall, 61, an area resident since 1975 and a former bowling instructor at the Reston Bowling Center, died of cancer Sept. 10 at the Hospice of Northern Virginia.

Mrs. Schaffstall, who lived in Reston, was born in Ohio. She moved to Norfolk in 1941 and graduated from the College of William & Mary. She then lived on the West Coast, in Virginia Beach and in Lynchburg, Va., before moving to this area.

She worked at the Reston Bowling Center from 1980 until it closed in 1988. In addition to being a bowling instructor, she was also a secretary for several women's and youth-adult leagues.

Survivors include her husband of 39 years, Richard E. Schaffstall of Reston; three children, Gracelyn Deebo of Chantilly, Richard Ross Schaffstall of Reston and Kurt Schaffstall of Leesburg; and two sisters, Barbara Paret of Silsbee, Tex., and Betty Hancock of Cincinnati.


Sheet Metal Worker

Edward D. Northrop, 63, a retired sheet metal fabricator, died Sept. 9 at Mount Vernon Hospital after a heart attack.

Mr. Northrop was a lifelong Alexandria resident and a graduate of that city's George Washington High School. He served in the Army in Europe during World War II.

He had worked 20 years as a sheet metal fabricator at the National Gallery of Art in Washington before retiring eight years ago. Earlier he had worked at the Washington Navy Yard.

Survivors include his wife of 45 years, Mary Northrop of Alexandria; six children, Edward D. Northrop Jr. of Staunton, Va., Glenn A. Northrop of Dale City, Nicole Cerino of Indian Head and Sharon Machonis, Jenifer Lam and Erik S. Northrop, all of Alexandria; and seven grandchildren.