Sol Kann, 87, former president of S. Kann Sons Co., which operated Kann's department stores in downtown Washington and Arlington, died of renal failure Sept. 12 at his home in Baltimore.

Mr. Kann was a lifelong resident of Baltimore. He joined the staff of Kann's in Washington in 1921 and spent his entire working life there, commuting daily by train from Baltimore.

He was named president of the store, which was founded in 1892 by his grandfather, in 1948, and he presided over the opening of the Arlington branch in 1951.

At the peak of business activity, Kann's employed 1,800 people in Washington and Arlington. The Washington store, which faced Pennsylvania Avenue NW from Seventh to Eighth streets, was one of the landmarks of the city's old central business district.

But it did not survive the economic depression in that area after the 1968 riots, and in 1971 the stores were sold to L.S. Good & Co. of Wheeling, W.Va. They went out of business in 1975.

From 1975 until his death, Mr. Kann was president of the S. Kann Sons Co. Foundation.

His wife, Eleanor May Rosenthal Kann, died in 1976.

Survivors include three daughters, Barbara Kann Halle of Stevenson, Md., Eleanor Hutzler Trowbridge of Washington and Diana Kann Feldman of New York; seven grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren.


Army Lieutenant Colonel

Carlos Mario Garza, 66, a retired Army lieutenant colonel who worked at the Department of Transportation and the Maryland State Employment Security Office, died of a heart attack Sept. 11 at a hospital in Pinehurst, N.C.

Col. Garza, who moved to Pinehurst from Rockville in 1988, was a native of San Antonio. He graduated from the University of Maryland.

Col. Garza spent much of his military career as a training and logistics officer. He entered the Army during World War II and served in Europe. He also was a veteran of the Korean War. Later assignments were in Panama, Spain, Washington and Detroit.

He retired in 1967 and settled in this area. He became an automotive safety engineer at the Department of Transportation. He later was a supervisor in the veterans section of the Maryland State Employment Security Office in Wheaton and an emissions consultant at the Environmental Protection Agency.

Col. Garza was a member of the Disabled American Veterans, the League of United Latin American Citizens and St. Patrick's Catholic Church in Rockville.

Survivors include his wife, Linda Rose Garza of Pinehurst; two children, Melita Marie Garza of Chicago and Carlos U. Garza of Springfield; three brothers, Hector Garza, Arseno Garza and Rudy Garza, all of San Antonio; two sisters, Idilia Hernandez of San Antonio and Rosemary Moore of Fair Oaks, Calif.; and two grandchildren.



John Francis Paul Cope, 33, a resident of Alexandria since 1989 and a former research chemist for Revlon Corp. in New Jersey, died of cancer Sept. 12 at his home.

Mr. Cope was a native of Brooklyn, N.Y., and a graduate of Mary Washington College. He worked as a research chemist in New Jersey from 1984 until last year, when he moved to Alexandria.

He was a member of Blessed Sacrament Catholic Church in Alexandria.

Survivors include his wife, Denise Adams Cope of Alexandria; his parents, John and Roberta Cope of Stafford, Va.; two sisters, Debra Cope of Alexandria and Karen Cope of Arlington; and a grandmother, Evelyn Kosciusko of Alexandria.



Melvin M. "Buddy" Gusdorf Jr., 63, owner and retired president of Baumgarten Rubber Stamp Co., a Washington maker of rubber stamps, seals and similar devices, died of cancer Sept. 13 at his home in Bethesda.

Mr. Gusdorf was a fourth-generation Washingtonian and a graduate of Woodrow Wilson High School. He attended George Washington University. He served in the Navy during World War II and was recalled to active duty during the Korean War.

He began working at Baumgarten Rubber Stamp Co., a family business, in 1945. He retired for health reasons this month.

Mr. Gusdorf was a member of Washington Hebrew Congregation, the Jewish Historical Society, the Marking Device Association International, Woodmont Country Club and Solomon Harding Brightwood Masonic Lodge No. 43 in Washington.

Survivors include his wife of 40 years, Betty Gusdorf of Bethesda; two children, Barry Gusdorf of Reston and Julia Cleveland of Columbia; and three grandchildren.


CIA Official

J. Dean Mullen, 62, retired chief of the photography and printing division of the National Photographic Interpretation Center of the Central Intelligence Agency, died of cancer Sept. 12 at Sibley Memorial Hospital.

Mr. Mullen, a resident of Arlington, was born in Archbald, Pa. He served in the Army during World War II and was a graduate of the University of Scranton.

In 1956, he moved to the Washington area and joined the CIA. When he retired in 1989, he was awarded the Career Intelligence Medal.

Mr. Mullen was a member of St. Ann's Catholic Church in Arlington.

Survivors include his wife, Elizabeth C. Mullen, whom he married in 1966, of Arlington; three children, Brendan D. Mullen, Charles C. Mullen and Michael P. Mullen, all of Arlington; six brothers, Charles J. Mullen of Baltimore, Thomas M. Mullen of Westfield, N.J., Donald G. Mullen of Elizabeth, N.J., James P. Mullen of Apalachin, N.Y., William J. Mullen of Archbald and Robert M. Mullen of Scotch Plains, N.J.; and four sisters, Mary Louise Faliskie and Kathleen Toolan, both of Archbald, Carolyn Mullen of Wilkes-Barre, Pa., and Ellen Mullen of Scranton, Pa.


Air Force Sergeant

Navie G. Tatum, 74, a retired Air Force master sergeant who became a special services employee at Andrews Air Force Base, died of heart ailments Sept. 11 at his home in Washington.

Mr. Tatum was born in Wilmerding, Pa., and grew up in Pittsburgh. He attended Virginia State and Lincoln universities.

In 1939, he enlisted in the Army and was assigned to the Air Corps. During World War II, he served in the Pacific. In 1947, he transferred to the Air Force when it became a separate service. He was stationed at Andrews in the late 1950s and worked in special services, which involves recreation for military personnel and their families, until he retired in 1963.

Mr. Tatum then went to work at Andrews as a civilian, doing the same type of work. He retired in 1980.

Tatum Acres, a recreation area at Andrews, is named in his honor.

Mr. Tatum was a member and former chairman of the Roundtable, a group of retired Air Force personnel.

Survivors include his wife, Jane Ann Tatum, whom he married in 1946, of Washington; a daughter, Carole Dungey of Nashville; a sister, Lenore Rainey of Pittsburgh; three granddchildren; and two great-grandchildren.



Gertrude Elizabeth DeGolyer, 94, a retired secretary at the Department of Commerce, died Sept. 10 at a nursing home in Baton Rouge, La., after a stroke.

Mrs. DeGolyer, who had lived in Baton Rouge since moving from Washington in 1985, was born in Chicago. She grew up in Grand Rapids, Mich., and attended what is now Western Michigan University.

She came to Washington during World War I as a government clerk-typist. She was working at the Veterans Bureau when she returned to Grand Rapids in 1924.

She returned to Washington in 1938 as a secretary at what is now the U.S. Maritime Commission. She transferred to the Commerce Department in 1950 and retired in 1960.

Mrs. DeGolyer was a member of the Business and Professional Women's Club and Sixth Presbyterian Church in Washington.

Her husband, Norman T. DeGolyer Sr., died in 1975.

Survivors include two children, Norman T. DeGolyer Jr. of Baton Rouge and Nancy Robbins of Silver Spring; a sister, Doris M. Junker of Phoenix; three grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren.


Budget Official

Frederick John Fischer, 41, a budget examiner for the Office of Management and Budget, died of cancer Sept. 11 at his home in Washington.

Mr. Fischer was born in St. Paul, Minn. He graduated magna cum laude from Amherst College, where he was a member of Phi Beta Kappa.

From 1972 to 1975 he was a research aide in the office of the mayor of St. Paul.

He moved to Washington and joined the staff of OMB in 1977 after receiving a master's degree in public policy at the John F. Kennedy School of Government at Harvard University.

At OMB, Mr. Fischer specialized in labor and educational policies, and most recently was examining post-secondary student aid programs. He received his agency's Professional Achievement Award in 1980 and its Outstanding Service Award in 1990. In 1988 he was one of 10 federal employees to receive the Arthur S. Flemming Award, given by the Downtown Jaycees of Washington.

Survivors include his mother, Jeanne E. Fischer of St. Paul.



Stover A. Walter, 73, a Northern Virginia businessman who operated millwork and property management firms, died of cancer Sept. 12 at his home in Annandale.

Mr. Walter was born in Winchester, Va., and he moved to the Washington area in 1941. He worked for Arlington Millwork before founding Virginia Millwork Corp. in 1953. The company produced woodworking for government, residential and institutional buildings in the Washington area.

Mr. Walter operated that business in Arlington and later in Merrifield until 1974, when he founded Waldet Inc., a company specializing in rental property management. He managed that business until his death.

Survivors include his wife of 54 years, Margaret C. Walter of Annandale; a son, Grant W. Walter of Warrenton, Va.; a brother, Samuel Walter of Norfolk; two sisters, Anna May of Orlando, Fla., and Frances Rush of Winchester; four grandchildren; and three great-grandchildren.



Thomas Richard Keys, 41, a retired hairstylist at Norbert Hair Designers in Washington, died Sept. 10 at his home in Washington. He had AIDS.

Mr. Keys was born in Washington and graduated from Mount Rainier High School. Over the past 20 years, he worked for several hair salons in Washington and had been at Norbert's since about 1986. He retired in July for health reasons.

Survivors include his mother, Myrtle Bishop Wines of Trilby, Fla.; four brothers; and a grandmother, Melvirda Bishop of Brentwood, Md.



Mary F. Morin, 82, a retired teacher who taught in D.C. public schools and at Holy Cross Academy, died Sept. 13 at her home in Leisure World in Silver Spring. She had diabetes and heart ailments.

Mrs. Morin was born in Brooklyn, N.Y. She grew up in Washington and graduated from Notre Dame Academy and Trinity College. She lived in the city until moving to Leisure World in 1983.

In 1930, she became a teacher in the D.C. school system. She taught at Alice Deal Junior High and Western High School until about 1940, when she resigned to raise her family. In the mid-1960s, she joined the faculty of Holy Cross Academy, and she taught there until retiring in 1972.

Her husband, Howard F. Morin, died in 1963.

Survivors include three children, Howard F. Morin of Kensington, Julie Rhodes of Potomac and Mary Beth Manogue of Edgewater, Md.; a sister, Frances Crean of Silver Spring; and 10 grandchildren.


Lumber Businessman

James M. Verrier, 81, a retired partner in a family lumber business in Kansas City, Kan., died of heart ailments Sept. 13 at Hospice of Northern Virginia.

Mr. Verrier, who lived in Annandale, was born in Shell Rock, Iowa. He moved to this area in 1979 after retiring from the lumber business.

Survivors include his wife of 54 years, Evelyn Verrier of Annandale; two children, James M. Verrier Jr. of Springfield and Juli Verrier of Annandale; and two grandchildren.