Raymond A. DuFour, 83, an early developer of health insurance programs for the elderly who was a trustee emeritus of Catholic University and a former national president of its alumni association, died of renal failure Sept. 15 at Delray Community Hospital in Delray Beach, Fla.
Mr. DuFour, a native of Haverhill, Mass., came to Washington in 1924 to attend Catholic University on a football scholarship. He graduated in 1928 and later received a law degree from the Columbus Law School, now part of Catholic.
He began his business career with the Chesapeake & Potomac Telephone Co. He soon went into insurance, and in 1930 he started his own firm. For many years he was a general agent for the Pacific Mutual Life Insurance Co. He later became an independent agent, and founded a number of businesses in the course of a career that ended with his retirement in 1989.
One of his companies was DuFour Enterprises Inc. This grew out of a project he started in 1957 when he helped design a health insurance program for what is now the National Association of Retired Federal Employees. At the time that he began this work, health insurance for the elderly was a new field, and with the exception of retired teachers, there were few groups in the country that had this kind of coverage.
In addition to DuFour Enterprises, Mr. Dufour's companies included Raymond A. DuFour & Co. Inc., a general insurance agency, and Maginnis & Associates Inc., a Chicago-based provider of insurance to workers in the health industry and various professional associations. He sold all of his enterprises when he retired.
Mr. DuFour was a director and member of the executive committees of the Suburban Trust Co., Suburban Bancorporation and others. He was a director of the Variable Annuity Life Insurance Co.
He was a founder and past president of the Life Insurance Trust Council, a past president of the American Institute of Professional Association Group Insurance Administrators and a life member of the Million-Dollar Roundtable. He was a former director of the Washington Board of Trade.
At Catholic University, his support made possible the opening in 1985 of the Raymond A. DuFour Center, a 40-acre athletic complex. He also donated $2.5 million for a proposed new law school. He was a recipient of the CU Alumni Association's highest honor, the Cardinal Gibbons Medal. In 1986, Catholic conferred on him an honorary doctorate of laws.
A resident of Delray Beach since 1988, Mr. DuFour was a former resident of Poolesville, where he had a farm, and Chevy Chase. He was a past chairman of the Economic Development Commission of Montgomery County.
He was a founder and former president of the Catholic Youth Organization of the Washington Archdiocese, a member of the parish of the Shrine of the Most Blessed Sacrament Catholic Church and a trustee of Trinity College. He received from Pope Paul VI the title of Gentleman of His Holiness, and he was a member of the Knights of Malta.
Mr. DuFour belonged to the Columbia and Congressional country clubs, the University Club, the Pinetree Golf Club in Boynton Beach, Fla., and the Delray Beach Club in Delray Beach.
His first wife, the former Margaret Sheehan, died in 1964.
Survivors include his wife, former Maryland Circuit Court judge Kathryn J. Shook of Delray Beach; four children by his first marriage, R. Damian DuFour of Bethesda, G. Maurice DuFour of Chevy Chase, Margaret E. Macdonald of Bryn Mawr, Pa., and M. Theresa Maurer of Winnetka, Ill.; two stepchildren, Joan Emerson of Delray Beach and Lawrence Lawlor of Amherst, Mass.; a brother, William C. DuFour of Haverhill; and 14 grandchildren.
BRIG. GEN. EDWARD A. MONTGOMERY
Edward Alexander Montgomery, 82, a retired Marine Corps brigadier general who served as a pilot and staff officer in the Pacific in World War II, died of cancer Sept. 8 at St. Joseph's Hospital in Augusta, Ga.
Gen. Montgomery lived in Augusta, which was his birthplace, and he also had maintained a residence in Chevy Chase since 1950. He graduated from the U.S. Naval Academy at Annapolis in 1930 and was commissioned in the Marine Corps. He received his wings as a Marine aviator in 1931.
In the years before World War II, he served at various Marine stations in the United States. He was at Quantico when the United States entered the war. He later received training in night fighter tactics with the Royal Air Force in Britain.
In 1944, he went to the Pacific. He took part in operations in the Solomon Islands, the Philippines and Okinawa, where he commanded a Marine air group. Immediately after the war, he served in China.
Gen. Montgomery then began a series of staff and command assignments in Washington and at the Marine Corps Air Station at Cherry Point, N.C. At different times he was assigned to the National War College, from which he graduated; Marine Corps headquarters; the Office of the Chief of Naval Operations and the Office of the Joint Chiefs of Staff.
In July 1954, he went to South Korea as chief of staff of the First Marine Aircraft Wing, and in 1955 he returned to Cherry Point. He was assistant chief of staff for operations to the commander-in-chief in the Pacific at Pearl Harbor when he retired in 1961.
Gen. Montgomery's military decorations include the Legion of Merit, the Bronze Star with combat "V" and two Letters of Commendation. He also received the Order of the Cloud and Banner from Nationalist China. In retirement, Gen. Montgomery lived in Jupiter, Fla., until moving to Augusta in 1975.
Survivors include his wife, Margaret Mary O'Connor Montgomery, whom he married on June 5, 1930, the day he graduated from the Naval Academy, of Augusta; two daughters, Margaret Montgomery Gibson of Evanston, Ill., and Blair Montgomery McKelvey of Williamsport, Pa.; a sister, Anna Montgomery Merrill of Salem, Mass.; 15 grandchildren, and 13 great-grandchildren.
DONALD L. LAYMAN
Donald L. Layman, 79, a retired Defense Department analyst who helped start a program for the study of Greek and Latin at George Mason University, died of heart ailments Sept. 12 at Fairfax Hospital.
Dr. Layman, who lived in Fairfax, was born in Midland, Ontario. He graduated from the University of Hawaii and then went to Stanford University, where he received a doctorate in classics. During World War II, he served in the Army.
After the war, he taught at Reed College and the University of Washington. In 1953, he moved to the Washington area and became an analyst in the Office of the Secretary of Defense. In 1957 and 1958, he taught at Duke University, and from 1958 to 1960 he worked for the Franz Lieber Foundation in West Germany, whose purpose was to promote democratic values in Germany.
In 1961, Dr. Layman returned to the Defense Department, and he retired in 1971.
He then taught classics at Prince George's Community College, George Washington University and George Mason, where he helped organize a classics program. He retired in 1982.
Survivors include his wife of 48 years, Helene Z. Layman of Fairfax; three childen, Donald L. Layman Jr. of Alexandria, Sandra H. Layman of Seattle and Roberta M. Izykowski of Columbia; a sister, Marion Westcott of West Wickham, Kent, England; a brother, Arch Layman of Colorado Springs, Colo.; and two granddaughters.
JOHN P. DUBROVSKY
John P. Dubrovsky, 74, a government lawyer for 35 years before retiring in 1980 from the National Labor Relations Board, died Sept. 7 at his home in Chevy Chase after a heart attack.
Mr. Dubrovsky was a native of New York City and a Coast Guard veteran of World War II. He was a graduate of the University of Michigan and its law school.
He came here in 1940 and began his career as a government lawyer in 1945. He worked for the Securities and Exchange Commission, the Federal Trade Commission and the Justice Department before joining the NLRB about 1960.
Mr. Dubrovsky was a member of the St. Nicholas Orthodox Cathedral in Washington.
Survivors include his wife, Felicia, of Chevy Chase.