Labor Leader

George Hardy, 79, a California labor leader who unionized previously ignored janitors, public employees and health-care workers during his 50-year career with the Service Employees International Union, died of respiratory failure Sept. 13 at a hospital in San Francisco.

From 1971 until his retirement in 1980, he was international president of the 935,000-member union. He also was a vice president of the AFL-CIO. He began his own career as a janitor, but was soon blacklisted by groups opposed to his organizing activity.

Mr. Hardy was elected international vice president of SEIU in 1948, and soon turned his efforts from janitors to health-care and public service workers who had been ignored by most unions. During his first four-year term as president, SEIU membership grew by 100,000, mostly in the public service and health-care sectors. Before retiring, he helped lay the groundwork for the 1989 merger of SEIU and the National Union of Hospital and Health Care Employees.


Rhythm Guitarist

Tom Fogerty, 48, rhythm guitarist for the popular 1960s band Creedence Clearwater Revival, died Sept. 6 in Scottsdale, Ariz. A spokesman for Fantasy Records said Mr. Fogerty died of respiratory failure due to tuberculosis.

Mr. Fogerty was the older brother of Creedence lead singer John Fogerty. The San Francisco Bay area-based Creedence, a rock-and-roll band that had eight Top 10 singles and six gold albums, broke up in 1972. Their hits included "Proud Mary," "Born on the Bayou" and "Bad Moon Rising."

The Fogerty brothers and friends Doug Clifford and Stu Cook recorded under various names for nearly 10 years before scoring their first hit as Creedence, "Suzie Q," in 1968.


College Co-Founder

Henry T. Mudd, 77, a founder of Harvey Mudd College in California who served as the school's board chairman from 1958 to 1981, died of leukemia Sept. 10 in La Jolla, Calif.

With his mother, Mildred, he founded the Claremont college named after his father in 1955, shortly after his father's death. Located 35 miles east of Los Angeles, the college has a strong foundation in the sciences.

He had served as board chairman and chief executive officer of Cyprus Minerals Co., a producer of precious minerals. Until last year, he was chairman of the Seeley W. Mudd Memorial Fund Committee of the American Institute of Mining, Metallurgical and Petroleum Engineers.


Writer and Critic

Marya Mannes, 85, a writer, journalist and critic who had written for the New Yorker, McCall's and Reporter magazines, and who was a 1958 recipient of a George Polk Memorial Award, died Sept. 13 at a hospital in San Francisco after a stroke. She had spent much of her life in New York City.

She was an editor of Vogue magazine before serving as an intelligence analyst with the Office of Strategic Services during World War II. After the war, in addition to writing for magazines, she wrote books.

Miss Mannes was the author of two novels, "Message From a Stranger" (1948) and "They" (1968), a 1958 collection of her essays, "More in Anger: Some Opinions, Uncensored and Unteleprompted," and her autobiography, "Out of My Time" (1971). Her other books included a 1972 study of divorce, "Uncoupling: The Art of Coming Apart."


Clog Dancer

Ben Smathers, 61, leader of the eight-member Stoney Mountain Cloggers, whose agile legs and fast feet helped spread the popularity of clog dancing during a 32-year career on the Grand Ole Opry, died Sept. 13 at a hospital in Nashville after surgery for a heart ailment.

His group often danced on the Opry to fiddle tunes such as "Black Mountain Rag" and "Old Joe Clark." The group made frequent appearances with the Charlie Daniels Band, dancing to the high-powered fiddle classic "Orange Blossom Special" as a climax to each show. In the late 1960s and early 1970s, Mr. Smathers and his group performed with Roy Rogers and Dale Evans at fairs, rodeos and other events.

Mr. Smathers, a native of Asheville, N.C., learned the dance as a child by watching an old man do it in the mountains of western North Carolina. A hallmark of Appalachian culture, clogging is basically keeping the beat of the music by tapping the feet.


British Comic Actress

Athene Seyler, 101, a British comic actress whose stage, movie and radio career spanned most of this century, died Sept. 12 at her home in London. The cause of death was not reported.

Critic James Agate once said that when it came to comedy, she could act any other English actress off the stage. She specialized in playing quirky queens and crusty dowagers. She made her London stage debut in 1909, but it was not until 1920, when she played Rosalind in Shakespeare's "As You Like It," that her special comic talents were recognized.

Miss Seyler appeared in almost 20 movies, including "Quiet Wedding" in 1940, "Dear Octopus" in 1943, "Nicholas Nickleby" in 1947 and "Pickwick Papers" in 1952. Her last major stage appearance was in a 1966 revival of "Arsenic and Old Lace." She continued working on radio until she was nearly 90.


Clothing Designer

Nile Samples, 37, a clothing designer for the Rolling Stones and the television show "Miami Vice," died Sept. 9 in Miami Beach. The cause of death was not disclosed.

He began styling clothes in New York for television and print advertisements in 1975. He later put together stage clothes for the Rolling Stones' 1981 world tour. He moved into designing costumes for television and films, including the fashion-setting "Miami Vice," for which he helped outfit star Don Johnson.



Thomas Jefferson Davis Jr., 77, an investor who helped start many Silicon Valley electronics companies, died Sept. 11 in Menlo Park, Calif. The cause of death was not reported.

In 1969, he formed the Mayfield Fund, which provided the original financing for more than 125 high-tech companies, including Tandem Computers, Genentech, Businessland and Applied Biosystems.


Italian Communist

Giancarlo Pajetta, 79, a leader of the anti-Fascist resistance in World War II and longtime Communist Party official who had served as a deputy in the Italian Parliament since 1946, died of cardiac arrest Sept. 12 at his home in Rome.

At the time of his death, he was one of his party's foreign affairs specialists in Parliament. He was imprisoned for 10 years. Upon his release in 1943, he took up the fight against occupying German troops.