The obituary on Sunday of James A. Halcombe, 61, a retired Navy Department draftman, incorrectly reported the names of his two former wives. They are Jane and Janet Halcombe. (Published 9/25/90)

Floyd E. Davis Jr., 79, a real estate developer and mortgage banker whose projects included Rock Spring Park, a 500-acre office and commercial development in Bethesda that includes the headquarters of several major corporations, died of emphysema Sept. 21 at Sibley Memorial Hospital.

Mr. Davis was born in Washington, and he lived in Chevy Chase until about 1986, when he moved to Naples, Fla. He was a graduate of Bethesda-Chevy Chase High School and the University of Maryland. He served in the Coast Guard in World War II.

After the war, he joined the Floyd E. Davis Real Estate Co., which was founded by his father. He became its president in 1961, and served as chairman until his death.

In 1967, he founded the Floyd E. Davis Mortgage Co., which became the Permanent Mortgage Co. in 1972. He founded Mortgage Investors of Washington, a real estate investment trust, in 1969, and he was its chairman until 1979. The trust is now Ameribanc Savings Bank.

In addition to these interests, Mr. Davis was a director of the Riggs National Bank and its holding company, the Riggs National Corporation, and he also served on the boards of the National Permanent Savings & Loan Association, the National Union Insurance Co. and the Robert O. Scholz Foundation. He was a member of the Montgomery County Financial Advisory Commission from 1963 to 1969.

Mr. Davis's largest project was the development of Rock Spring Park near Montgomery Mall. It is now the site of the headquarters of the Marriott Corp. and the Martin Marietta Co., the Washington regional headquarters of IBM, the Democracy Plaza Office Complex and the Georgetown Square Shopping Center.

Mr. Davis was a sportsman and yachtsman, and for many years he spent summers at a family residence in Westmoreland County on the Northern Neck of Virginia. He was a member of the Naples Yacht Club, the Port Royal Club, the Quail Creek Club, the Columbia Country Club and the University Club.

Survivors include his wife, the former Marjorie Gilbert, whom he married in 1948, of Naples; three sons, Floyd E. Davis III of Potomac and John G. and Timothy G. Davis, both of Chevy Chase; a sister, Anne Davis Camalier of Naples and Potomac; and five grandchildren.


House Official

Philip Yeager, 73, a retired general counsel of the House Committee on Science and Technology who was a member of Memorial Baptist Church in Arlington, died of a heart ailment Sept. 21 at Georgetown University Hospital. He lived in Arlington.

He came to the Washington area in 1946 and was a journalist and an editor of the Congressional Digest until 1953. He then spent two years as a civilian employee of the Naval Research Laboratory before joining the Science and Technology Committee in 1955. He retired in 1981.

Mr. Yeager, who was a native of Illinois, served with the Navy in the North Atlantic during World War II. He was a graduate of the University of Arizona and George Washington University law school.

Survivors include his wife of 46 years, the former Myra Higman, of Arlington; two sons, Mark, of Lebanon, N.H., and Scott, of Essex Junction, Vt.; a daughter, Mary Y. Hubbard of Chesapeake, Va.; a sister, Elizabeth Roca of San Diego; and seven grandchildren.


VA Lawyer

David C. Kwass, 81, a retired lawyer at the Veterans Administration, died Sept. 19 at Arlington Hospital after a heart attack.

Mr. Kwass, who lived in Arlington, was a native of Milwaukee and a graduate of Marquette University and its law school. In the late 1930s, he established a private practice in Milwaukee.

During World War II, he served in the Army Air Forces in the Pacific. After the war, he joined the Veterans Administration in Milwaukee and transferred to Washington in 1965. He retired in 1978.

Mr. Kwass was a volunteer at Swanson Intermediate School in Arlington, the Arlington County Citizens' Assistance Office, the Kennedy Center and the Smithsonian Institution.

Survivors include his wife of 43 years, Janet Kwass of Arlington; two children, Jo-Ann Kwass and Peter Kwass, both of Boston; and a brother, Melvin Kwass, and a sister, Ruth Margoles, both of Milwaukee.


Army Chaplain

Paul W. Ludden, 87, an Army chaplain who retired in 1963 as a lieutenant colonel, died Sept. 17 at Montgomery General Hospital of complications after surgery for an intestinal blockage.

Col. Ludden, a resident of Leisure World in Silver Spring, was founding pastor of its Interfaith Chapel. Since 1975 he had been pastor emeritus. In retirement, he served as chaplain of the Army Distaff Hall in Washington.

He was born in Bonnair, Iowa, attended Cornell College in Mount Vernon, Iowa, and graduated from Gustavus Adolphus College in Minnesota and Garrett Theological Seminary in Evanston, Ill.

Before joining the Army in 1943 he was a Methodist clergyman in Minnesota and Illinois.

During World War II, Col. Ludden served in Europe. He served in Korea during the war there and at other posts in the United States. His last post before retirement was Ford Meade, where he was assigned in the early 1960s.

His marriage to the former Elna Cummings ended in divorce. His second wife, Elsie Wolfe Ludden, died this year.

Survivors include three children by his first marriage, Robert D. Ludden of Dixon, Ill., Trudy Dirks of Ames, Iowa, and Marily Asfahl of Rochester, Minn.; eight grandchildren; and 12 great-grandchildren.



Margaret Beveridge Russell, 94, a retired teacher in D.C. schools who specialized in reading problems in the elementary grades, died Sept. 20 at the Meridian Nursing Home in Severna Park, Md. She had a stroke.

Mrs. Russell was born in Meadville, Pa. She grew up in Washington. She graduated from Wilson Normal School. She began her career in the D.C. school system in 1920 and retired in 1954.

She served on the advisory council of Wilson Teachers College, the successor to Wilson Normal School. She also was a deacon and elder at the National Presbyterian Church and a member of the Chevy Chase Woman's Club and the Washington Club. She lived in Washington until moving to Severna Park three years ago.

Her husband, John A. Russell, died in 1969. Survivors include two children, John A. Russell Jr. of Oak Ridge, Tenn., and Marianne R. Kendrick of Sherwood Forest, Md.; six grandchildren; and five great-grandchildren.



Shirley Rose Smith, 46, an English teacher at Taft Junior High School in Washington for the last 24 years, died Sept. 21 at Howard University Hospital. She had cancer.

Miss Smith, a resident of Washington, was born in Macon, Ga. She graduated from Hampton Institute in 1965. She moved to Washington the following year and was appointed a teacher in the D.C. public school system.

She attended Riverside Baptist Church in Washington.

Survivors include her mother, Bessie M. Smith of Macon; three sisters, Annie Della Smith of Maugansville, Md., Mary Helen Smith of Macon and Kate L. Smith of Washington; and a half-brother, Jimmy Tukes of Macon.


Agriculture Department Official

Anthony H. Flores, 63, an electrical engineer and official with the Agriculture Department's Rural Electrification Administration for 32 years before retiring in 1981, died Sept. 20 at George Washington Univeristy Hospital.

He had Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease, a viral disease of the central nervous system.

Mr. Flores, who lived in Arlington, was a native of Washington. He was a graduate of Washington-Lee High School in Arlington and of Texas A&M University. He served in the Army from March 1945 to October 1946.

He played the clarinet in the Alexandria Citizens Band. He was a member of the Knights of Columbus and Cathedral of St. Thomas Moore in Arlington.

Survivors include his wife, Marie G., of Arlington; two sons, Anthony E., of Virginia Beach, and Joseph F., of Arlington; a daughter, Maria Durgan of Alexandria; and four grandchildren.



James A. Halcombe, 61, a retired draftsman with the Naval Hydrographic Institute, died of a heart attack Sept. 21 at Southern Maryland Hospital in Clinton.

Mr. Halcombe, a resident of Oxon Hill, was a third-generation Washingtonian. He graduated from Anacostia High School.

He went to work at the Naval Hydrographic Institute in 1952. His duties there included making maps of the ocean floor from sonar readings. He retired about 1987, and then worked for a gas station in Clinton until retiring a second time last year.

His marriages to Jane and Janice Halcombe ended in divorce.

Survivors include his wife, Janet Halcombe of Oxon Hill; a son by his first marriage, Kevin Halcombe of Florida; two stepchildren, Marguerite Strickland of Oxon Hill and Robert Fox of Indiana; three brothers, Charles F. Halcombe of Washington, Richard G. Halcombe of Chesapeake, Ohio, and Don M. Halcombe of Manassas; three sisters, Anne Herbert of Fort Washington, Emma Jean Cross of Colonial Beach, Va., and Martha Marsh of Stafford, Va.; and two grandchildren.