The Right Rev. Robert F. Gibson Jr., 83, the bishop of the Episcopal Diocese of Virginia from 1961 to 1974, died Sept. 21 at a hospital in Richmond after a heart attack. He lived in Richmond.

He also was a past vice president of the Episcopal House of Bishops. He served as president of the governing board of the Episcopal Province of Washington in the early 1950s.

The diocese includes Richmond and all of Virginia north of the James River. When Dr. Gibson retired as bishop, the diocese had about 80,000 members.

During his years in office, he was a forceful and eloquent voice of the ecumenical movement. He had chaired the interdenominational Consultation on Church Union and the Episcopal Church's Joint Commission on Ecumenical Relations. He hailed the work of Pope John XXIII and Vatican II in bringing Christians together.

He also supported the successful movement to admit women to Episcopal vestries, saying that women should have equal rights with men in the church. He defended such religious organizations as the National Council of Churches from allegations that they were influenced by communism.

Dr. Gibson, who was born in Pennsylvania, was a graduate of Trinity College in Connecticut. He received a master's degree in history at the University of Virginia and a doctoral degree in divinity at the Virginia Theological Seminary in Alexandria in 1941.

He was ordained in 1940 and was for a time minister in charge of Immanuel Church-on-the-Hill, whose congregation worships at the Alexandria divinity school. He also did missionary work in Mexico in the 1940s.

He preached his first sermon at St. John's Episcopal Church in McLean. He said that it was on that day that he learned why clerics "wear dresses," referring to his formal robes. "It is," he said, "to hide their shaking knees."

He taught history at the seminary until 1947, when he was named dean of the theological seminary of the University of the South in Sewanee, Tenn. He left Sewanee to become suffragan bishop of the Virginia diocese in 1949. He was bishop coadjutor of the diocese from 1954 until becoming bishop in 1961. He remained active in parish visitations until his death.

Survivors include his wife, the former Alison Morice, of Richmond; three sons, Robert III, of Tenafly, N.J., John M., of Memphis, and Peter M., of Washington; and a daughter, Margaret Gibson of El Cerrito, Calif.


Goldman Sachs Vice President

Daniel W. Hofgren, 54, a retired vice president of Goldman Sachs & Co. here who was a former White House aide and ambassador, died of cancer Sept. 21 at a hospital in New York City. He maintained homes in New York City and Washington.

Mr. Hofgren came here in 1969 as a special assistant to President Nixon. In 1970, he was special U.S. representative to the Panama Canal negotiations and held the personal rank of ambassador. He also was chairman of the financial advisory board of Amtrak in 1970.

In 1970, he joined Goldman Sachs, where he worked until retiring earlier this year as vice president and head of the Federal Government Agency and Corporations Group here.

He had served as a director of the Kennedy Center Corporate Board, the Nixon Presidential Archives Foundation-Library and the Pan-American Development Foundation. He was a member of American Security Bank's international advisory board.

Mr. Hofgren was a native of Jamestown, N.Y., and a 1958 graduate of Colgate University. He attended Columbia University law school. Before coming here, he had worked for Pan American airlines and Chase Manhattan Bank in New York.

His marriages to Alexandra and Joan Hofgren both ended in divorce.

Survivors include a son, Nicholas, of New York City, and a sister, Catherine Hofgren of Washington.


Literature Professor

William H. Gravely Jr., 87, a professor emeritus of American literature at the University of Maryland, where he taught from 1937 to 1973, died Sept. 18 at his home in College Park. He recently had undergone cancer surgery.

He was an authority on 19th century American literature and had published technical works on the poet and short-story writer Edgar Allan Poe.

Dr. Gravely was a native of Martinsville, Va. He was a 1925 graduate of the College of William and Mary, where he played football, and received master's and doctoral degrees in American literature at the University of Virginia.

He was an English and Greek master at Norfolk Academy in Norfolk and was an English professor at the University of Virginia before joining the Maryland faculty.

Dr. Gravely was a member of St. Andrews Episcopal Church in College Park.

Survivors include his wife, the former Elisabeth J. Nisbet, of College Park; two sons, John E., of Virginia Beach, and Charles A., of Potomac; a daughter, Anne V. Gravely of Washington; a sister, Nina A. Gravely of Martinsville; and six grandchildren.


DOT Official

Stanley Price, 56, a retired research and development director of the Department of Transportation's Urban Mass Transit Administration, died Sept. 21 in Boonsboro, Md. He lived in Harpers Ferry, W.Va.

A spokesman for the Washington County sheriff's office said Mr. Price was shot in the chest near the residence of a 45-year-old Boonsboro man. Police said Mr. Price was pronounced dead at the scene and the Boonsboro man was charged with first-degree murder and a handgun violation. He is in custody and has been denied bond, police said.

Mr. Price, a former Arlington resident who lived in the Washington area from 1965 to 1980, was a native of Ridley Park, Pa. A 1957 graduate of the University of Pennsylvania, he received a master's degree in electrical engineering from Penn and a master's degree in mechanical engineering from Stanford University.

He spent 21 years with the federal government before retiring about 1980. He worked for the Federal Aviation Administration in New Jersey, California and Washington before joining UMTA about 1970. After leaving the government, he had trained and raced horses at Charles Town racetrack in West Virginia.

Survivors include his wife of 34 years, Marilyn Price, of Harpers Ferry; three sons, Joseph, of Alexandria, Christopher, of Rockville, and Geoffrey, of the Bronx, N.Y.; two brothers; and four grandchildren.


Artist and Musician

George Frederick "Freddie" Powell, 66, a professional musician and retired commercial artist who also was an amateur magician, died Sept. 22 at Mary Washington Hospital in Fredericksburg, Va., after a heart attack.

Mr. Powell, who maintained homes in Fredericksburg and Rehoboth Beach, Del., was a native of Washington. He was a graduate of Roosevelt High School. He served with the Army in Europe during World War II, earning the Bronze Star.

He had worked in the commercial art department of The Washington Post from the mid-1940s to early 1950s. He then started his own commercial art business, Executive Art Studios, which he operated in Washington and then Falls Church until retiring about 1985.

Mr. Powell had been a musician most of his life. He had been a drummer with Howard Devron's and Sidney's orchestras here. He had played at every inaugural gala since 1961. Over the years, he had worked with such stars as Frank Sinatra and Dinah Shore.

He was a member of the Elmer Timberman Masonic Lodge in Annandale.

Survivors include his wife of 46 years, the former Doris Sain, of Fredericksburg and Rehoboth Beach; two daughters, Pamela P. McWhirt and Patricia P. Westcott, both of Fredericksburg; and three grandchildren.