John A. Danaher, 91, a former U.S. senator from Connecticut who later served 15 years on the U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia, died Sept. 22 at a convalescent home in West Hartford, Conn.
He died of complications related to a broken hip from a fall early in the summer.
Judge Danaher, a Republican, served in the Senate from 1939 until 1945. He was appointed to the Court of Appeals by President Eisenhower in 1954 and served until 1969, when he took senior status and semi-retirement.
Between his service in the Senate and on the court, Judge Danaher practiced law in Washington and worked as a Republican Party fund-raiser and successful lobbyist.
During his years in the Senate and on the bench, he was generally considered a conservative. On the court, he was part of a faction that generally took a narow view of suspects' rights, and he tended to frown on what he considered judicial over-experimentation in the fields of insanity and criminal responsibility.
In the Senate he served on the Judiciary Committee and was a vocal opponent of President Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Lend-Lease Program of supplying aid to Great Britain in the early years of World War II, before the United States entered the conflict. He contended the program was unconstitutional. He was defeated for reelection in 1944 by Democrat Brien McMahon.
Judge Danaher, a resident of West Hartford, was born in Meriden, Conn. He graduated from Yale University and its law school. He practiced law in New York in the 1920s while serving as an assistant U.S. attorney for the State of Connecticut.
He was elected secretary of state in Connecticut in 1932 and served in that position for two years. He practiced law in Hartford until 1938, when he was elected to the Senate. In 1942 he was named the senator most valuable to his party by the Senate press gallery.
In 1946, 1948 and 1950, he served on Republican Senate campaign committees. In 1951, he was appointed to the Presidential Commission on Internal Security and Individual Rights by President Harry S. Truman, a friend and former Senate colleague.
In 1952, Judge Danaher was a strong backer of the candidacy of Sen. Robert A. Taft of Ohio for the Republican presidential nomination. When that contest was won by Eisenhower, he became a top Eisenhower campaign director and a valuable liaison between the Taft and Eisenhower wings of the Republican Party.
In 1969, after his assumption of senior status on the Court of Appeals, Judge Danaher returned to Connecticut. He continued to hear cases part-time at the 2nd Circuit of the U.S. Court of Appeals in New York until retiring in 1980.
Survivors include his wife of 69 years, Dorothy King Danaher of West Hartford; three children, John A. Danaher Jr. of Groton, Conn., Robert C. Danaher and Jeanne D. Lennhoff, both of West Hartford; 13 grandchildren; and 15 great-grandchildren.
RUTH K. TOWNSHEND
Ruth K. Townshend, 87, who taught in the Prince George's County public schools for 40 years before retiring in 1968 as an industrial arts teacher, died of congestive heart failure Sept. 21 at Wilson Health Care Center in Gaithersburg.
A former Mitchellville resident, she had lived at Asbury Methodist Village in Gaithersburg since 1978.
Mrs. Townshend, who graduated from the University of Maryland, taught school in her native West Virginia before coming here in 1928. She taught at Mullikin, University Park and Brentwood elementary schools before becoming an industrial arts teacher at Greenbelt Junior High. She retired from the faculty of Glen Ridge Junior High.
She was a member of Mount Oak Methodist Church in Mitchellville, the Prince George's County chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution and Prince George's Retired Teachers Association.
Her husband, Harry W. Townshend Sr., died in 1968. Survivors include two stepchildren, Betty T. Herndon of Rockville and Harry W. Jr. of Mitchellville; a sister, Iva Smith of Augusta, W.Va.; seven step-grandchildren; and six step-great-grandchildren.
JAMES R. JOHNSON
James Richard Johnson, 57, a construction consultant who had been a senior project manager for several major area building concerns, died Sept. 21 at the Manor Care nursing home in Largo. He had a brain tumor.
From the late 1950s until 1980, he worked for Volpe construction, where he was a senior project manager and assistant corporate secretary. He then spent five years with Salus construction of Arlington, where he was a senior project manager and vice president.
His projects included work at Pentagon City, and construction of the AAA building in Fairfax, Calvert Memorial Hospital, the Federal Records Center in Suitland and two Metro subway stations.
Mr. Johnson, who lived in Upper Marlboro, was a native of Washington. He was a graduate of Anacostia High School and attended the University of Florida and Columbia Tech here.
He was a past director of the Master Builders Association and had been an industry representative in negotiations with the cement workers' and carpenters' unions. He was a Scottish rite Mason and Shriner.
Survivors include his wife, JoAnn, and a daughter, Jennifer Rhae Johnson, both of Upper Marlboro.
JACK S. HANEY
Jack S. Haney, 75, a manufacturer's representative for Huntington Laboratories of Indiana for 41 years before retiring about 1985, died of cancer Sept. 23 at Alexandria Hospital. He lived in Alexandria.
His territory covered Washington, Maryland, Virginia and Delaware.
Mr. Haney, who came here about 1940, was a native of Iowa. He was a graduate of the University of Iowa and served with the Army in the Mediterranean theater during World War II.
He was a past president of the Mount Vernon Kiwanis Club in Alexandria and a member of St. Louis Catholic Church in Alexandria and Belle Haven Country Club. He also belonged to several square-dance groups.
Survivors include his wife, Virginia M., of Alexandria; two sons, Stephen, of Mesa, Ariz., and Michael, of Coral Springs, Fla.; a daughter, Patricia H. Brackett of Wyckoff, N.J.; a sister, Ruby Wilson of Sioux City, Iowa; and six grandchildren.
BENAY L. SMITH
Benay LaRock Smith, 46, a fund-raising consultant who had lived in the Washington area since moving here from her native St. Louis in 1980, died of an aneurysm Sept. 23 at National Hospital for Orthopaedics and Rehabilitation. She lived in Arlington.
Between 1982 and 1985, she had done fund-raising work for the United Way in Alexandria and the National Alliance of Business in Washington. From 1985 to 1987, she was director of Sen. Robert J. Dole's (R-Kan.) Dole Foundation. She had been a consultant since 1987.
Mrs. Smith attended St. Louis University.
Her marriage to Robert LaRock ended in divorce.
Survivors include her husband, Foster Smith of Arlington; a son by her first marriage, Robert LaRock of Kent, Ohio; and a brother, David Ansehl of St. Louis.
RALPH E. GRAEVES
Ralph E. Graeves, 62, owner and operator of Graeves Tire and Appliance in Wheaton since he opened it in 1952, died of a heart attack Sept. 24 at his home in Wheaton.
Mr. Graeves was born in the same house where he died. He was a graduate of Montgomery Blair High School and Benjamin Franklin University, where he received a master's degree in commerical science.
He was a director and past president of the Wheaton Chamber of Commerce. He served as chairman of its economic development committee, which produced a long-range plan for revitalization of the Wheaton-Kensington area with Montgomery County officials.
He was a past director of Wheaton Kiwanis and received outstanding service awards from the Wheaton-Kensington Chamber of Commerce and the Wheaton News.
He served on the board of elders and was co-director of the Growing in Grace program at Lutheran Church of St. Andrew in Wheaton.
Survivors include his wife, Elaine Graeves of Wheaton; four children, Glenn Graeves of Bowie, Shelley Mitek of Silver Spring and Grant Graeves and Scott Graeves, both of Olney; and eight grandchildren.
ELIZABETH N. PATTERSON
Elizabeth Norris Patterson, 88, who had been a volunteer at Sibley Memorial Hospital, died of sepsis Sept. 22 at Wilson Health Center in Gaithersburg.
Mrs. Patterson, who had lived in Gaithersburg since 1972 and at the Wilson center since July, was a Washington native. She graduated from Central High School.
During the 1920s, she worked as a nursing assistant at Walter Reed Army Hospital and later as a clerk for the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers. She was a volunteer at Sibley from World War II until the late 1960s.
She was member of Emory United Methodist Church in Washington and Chevy Chase United Methodist Church.
Her first husband, Ralph Bean, died in 1953. Survivors include her husband of 33 years, D. Stewart Patterson of Gaithersburg; two stepdaughters, Doris Berry of Port Republic, Md., and Elizabeth Beadle of Martinsville, N.J.; and a sister, Mary Ella Richmond of Gaithersburg.