Lewis "Bud" Maytag Jr., 64, who turned away from his family's appliance company and became chairman and chief executive officer of National Airlines, died of cancer Sept. 23 in Colorado Springs.

Mr. Maytag, a grandson of the founder of Maytag Appliance Co., was born in Rochester, Minn. He moved to Colorado Springs while he was in high school and later attended Colorado College.

Shunning the family business, he became a pilot and founded Maytag Aircraft Corp., a Colorado Springs airplane fuel supplier, in the late 1940s. He later founded an aircraft parts company.

At age 32, Mr. Maytag bought a controlling interest in Frontier Airlines and became its chairman. In 1962 he bought the Miami-based National Airlines.

He reequipped National's fleet with Boeing 727 and DC-8 jets and ordered designer uniforms for the flight attendants. He also helped create the famous "Fly Me" advertising campaign in 1972, which named aircraft after the first names of flight attendants.

He remained chairman and chief executive officer until National Airlines was purchased by Pan American World Airways in 1980.

Survivors include his wife, Helen Voss Maytag, and four children.


Government Translator

Boleslaw C. "Ben" Filipczyk, 78, a retired Army chief warrant officer who was a retired linguistic analyst at the National Security Agency and a member of several area Polish-American organizations, died of cancer Sept. 24 at the Hospice of Northern Virginia. He lived in Alexandria.

Mr. Filipczyk was a past commander and founding member of the Washington post of the Polish Legion of American Veterans, a church council member at Our Lady Queen of Poland Catholic Church in Silver Spring and a corresponding secretary of the Washington chapter of the Polish American Congress.

Mr. Filipcyzk was a native of Pennsylvania. He entered the Army during World War II. Fluent in Polish, German and Russian, he spent most of his military career as a translator. His assignments included duty in Turkey and West Germany. His last assignment was at Fort Meade.

In 1962, he retired from active duty and went to the NSA. He retired in 1980.

Mr. Filipczyk was a member of the Polish National Alliance, the Polish Arts Society, the John Paul II Society and the Arlington Council of the Knights of Columbus.

His wife, Katherine Filipczyk, whom he married in 1942, died in 1986. Survivors include six children, Benia Grygent of Point Pleasant, N.J., Tania Baldauf of Miami, Patricia Perdue and Maria Smith, both of Alexandria, Ben Filipczyk of Chevy Chase and Michael Filipczyk of Alexandria; two sisters, Anne Urman of Titusville, Fla., and Helen Rackowski of Falls Church; two brothers, Julian Filip of Imperial Beach, Calif., and Anthony Filipczyk of Edwardsville, Pa.; and nine grandchildren.


Data Processing Specialist

Arthur E. Feenan, 70, a retired civilian director of the data processing section of the Washington Navy Yard, died of respiratory failure Sept. 16 at Suburban Hospital.

Mr. Feenan, who lived in Chevy Chase, was a native of Salem, Mass. He graduated from Georgetown University in 1941. During World War II, he served in the Navy in the Pacific.

After the war, he was a computer consultant with the Remington Rand Corp. in the Boston area. In 1960, he moved here when he joined the Navy Department. He received a superior civilian service certificate from the Navy in 1975. He retired in 1984.

Survivors include his wife, Olga M. Feenan of Chevy Chase; a son, David P. Feenan of Chevy Chase; three sisters; and two brothers.


Agriculture Department Employee

George McGrew Terry, 89, who spent 30 years with the Agriculture Department before retiring in 1962 as an administrative aide in its Agriculture Marketing Service, died of an aneurysm Sept. 22 at Holy Cross Hospital. He lived in Hyattsville.

Mr. Terry, who came here in the mid-1920s, was born in Wisconsin and grew up in Oklahoma. He was a graduate of George Washington University's law school. He spent seven years with the Interstate Commerce Commission before joining the Agriculture Department.

Survivors include his wife, the former Ethel Lowther, of Hyattsville; a son, Lee Anthony "Tony" Terry of Wheaton; two daughters, Dee Ann Worden of Westminster, Md., and Susan Dawn Merson of Homosassa Springs, Fla.; seven grandchildren; and three great-grandchildren.


Army Physicist

Werner K. Weihe, 86, a retired physicist who had served as chief of the far infrared technical area of the night vision laboratory at Fort Belvoir, died of arteriosclerotic vascular disease Sept. 21 at his home in Alexandria.

Dr. Weihe was born in Magdeburg, Germany. He attended the University of Halle and received a doctorate in physics from the University of Jena. From 1928 to 1930, he worked in the research institute of Allgemeine Electrizitaets-Gesellschaft in Berlin. From 1930 to 1945, he was chief of the electrotechnical laboratory at the Carl Zeiss Co. in Jena.

He moved to the United States in 1945 and became a research scientist and group leader of the far infrared branch of the Army Engineer research and development laboratory at Fort Belvoir. He became chief of the far infrared technical area of the night vision laboratory in 1965, and he retired in 1969.

Dr. Weithe had served on technical panels with representatives of NATO countries and on the editorial boards of technical journals.

Survivors include his wife, Lieselotte Weihe of Alexandria; a daughter, Liselotte Kinaman of Essex Junction, Vt.; and two grandchildren.


White House Volunteer

Cynthea S. Hall, 60, a White House volunteer since 1978 who was a past circle president of the old Florence Crittenton Home for unwed mothers, died of cancer Sept. 24 at Suburban Hospital. She lived in Bethesda.

She had been a secretary at the National 4-H Center from about 1980 to 1983.

Mrs. Hall was born in Fort Benning, Ga., and came here in the 1940s. She graduated from Western High School and George Washington University before working as an Army Department secretary in Okinawa in 1954 and 1955.

She was a member of St. Luke's Episcopal Church in Bethesda and the Chevy Chase Women's Club.

Survivors include her husband, Walter A. Hall of Bethesda; two sons, Gary M., of Rockville, and Gordon S., of Claremont, Calif.; a daughter, Margaret Hall of Rockville; two brothers, Robert L. Steele of Washington and Gordon H. Steele of England; and three grandchildren.